Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

48 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/01/russia-sends-medical-supplies-coronavirus-159009

Russia is sending a planeload of masks and other supplies to help the United States fight the coronavirus pandemic as the number of cases threatens to top 200,000 across the country.

The plane will arrive today, after President Donald Trump accepted an offer on Monday by Russian President Vladimir Putin to send personal protective equipment and other gear, a senior administration official confirmed to POLITICO.

Im pleasantly surprised how Russia is helping other countries....since the USSR collapsed humanitarian assistance to other countries is not there normal way,  they also sent medical staff to Italy

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-russia-italy-idUSKBN219081

Edited by BruceVC
  • Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The hilarious part about that is liberals trying to spin Russian and Chinese assistance as some kind ploy to expand their evil gommie agenda.  I swear to God these people who proclaim to love Freedom they're gonna strap on their jack boots sometime before the end of the year.

20 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

The hilarious part about that is liberals trying to spin Russian and Chinese assistance as some kind ploy to expand their evil gommie agenda.  I swear to God these people who proclaim to love Freedom they're gonna strap on their jack boots sometime before the end of the year.

I see Putin has been exposed to the virus through a doctor he was shaking hands with who now has Corona, Putin is under self-quarantine 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-putin-doctor-idUSKBN21I1Z1

• Gasp! 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 hours ago, Skazz said:

I mean, I'm not panicking, and I haven't been crushed by despair yet. Still, when you consider the estimates that (off the top of my head, not sure about the accuracy, could be misremembered internet stuff) 50 to 70% of the human population may eventually contract some form of the virus, it isn't exactly uplifting news.

But yeah, you're right. Gotta keep moving somehow, if only because I wouldn't want to sadden my old boy.

most of us will eventual get the disease. most of us is familiar with people who have comorbidity issues-- who doesn't know somebody with heart disease or asthma? many people we know will need to go to the hospital. if you go to the hospital at the wrong time, when the facility is overwhelmed by surge...

is not as if am paralyzed by personal fears. that said, am thinking may people still haven't grasped the magnitude o' this problem. honestly, all you need do is double the numbers assuming such numbers continue to double every 3-4 days.

emotion we personal feel is not fear. government(s) (not just the US) had warning this were gonna be a problem for many beyond china borders. because o' widespread fear, and initial government incompetence, we are gonna allow/encourage governments to limit civil liberties which many previous generations fought and died to secure. freaking bedwetting hoarders making situation worse for everybody. etc.

am not fearful or even sad, but we sure ain't yet at acceptance 'cause am knowing the worst is ahead and serious lifestyle changes and economic pain is gonna be with us for a long time. best case for a vaccine is a year, which ignores inevitable real world problems that will make production and distribution limited at start.

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

18 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I see Putin has been exposed to the virus through a doctor he was shaking hands with who now has Corona, Putin is under self-quarantine 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-putin-doctor-idUSKBN21I1Z1

Nah, Putin is just spreading fake news in order to try to induce sympathy to advance his evil agenda for world domination. ;)

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

Fauci is Deep State

I have no time or respect for the illogical ramblings of Ron Paul.....his own son has got Corona, what more evidence does he need to accept people like Fauci know exactly what they talking about ?

What has actually happened to Ron Paul...he never use to be so conspiratorial and uninformed?

• Like 1

John Milton 

35 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

What has actually happened to Ron Paul...he never use to be so conspiratorial and uninformed?

Desperation.  He has a very poor grasp on the cyclical nature of U.S. history and thinks rugged individualism is the solution to every crisis we face.

If he had it his way, he'd remove Lincoln and FDR from the history books.

He has always been 'ruggedly' consistent in his views though so I'll give him props for that, lol.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Him and his son have lost it

Reefer madness I think

53 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Desperation.  He has a very poor grasp on the cyclical nature of U.S. history and thinks rugged individualism is the solution to every crisis we face.

If he had it his way, he'd remove Lincoln and FDR from the history books.

He has always been 'ruggedly' consistent in his views though so I'll give him props for that, lol.

Yeah I hear you guys, I remember there was this time where he seemed to be this political maverick and he made a lot of sense to me on certain issues....but now :shrugz:

John Milton 

I wonder if I'm really an evil person or some kind of xyz-opath, or maybe it's just growing up on the front line between Nato and WP and surviving The Cold War that does it, but I think I really stopped caring about the survival of "civilisation" as we know it a long time ago. Not my preferred way of fixing the overpopulation problem, but all I can do these days is watching what's happening with a head scratch and a feeling of mild annoyance at the inconvenience.

Walking around the streets in the city now, brings back childhood memories of a world with less people (and way less cars) in it and feeling less claustrophobic.

Maybe I'm just a cynic and a grumpy old bastard (and self proclaimed anarchist).

• Like 2
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Anti-civ is far more reasonable than being pro-civilization tbh. Fredy Perlman was right.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

59 minutes ago, Gorth said:

I wonder if I'm really an evil person or some kind of xyz-opath, or maybe it's just growing up on the front line between Nato and WP and surviving The Cold War that does it, but I think I really stopped caring about the survival of "civilisation" as we know it a long time ago. Not my preferred way of fixing the overpopulation problem, but all I can do these days is watching what's happening with a head scratch and a feeling of mild annoyance at the inconvenience.

Walking around the streets in the city now, brings back childhood memories of a world with less people (and way less cars) in it and feeling less claustrophobic.

Maybe I'm just a cynic and a grumpy old bastard (and self proclaimed anarchist).

am an existentialist and have been silently quoting nietzsche since senior year in highschool when we realized quoting nietzsche aloud results in (deserved) stares and concern. perhaps counterintuitive, the realization it is all meaningless and quite possibly hopeless is what prompted us to get more involved in charitable efforts. why Constitutional Law instead o' something which might, y'know, pay?

choice. is our choice and that is what gives meaning to our actions. 

am not concerned or hopeful 'bout civilization. 

am not able to ignore people.

HA! Good Fun!

• Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

5 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

and thinks rugged individualism is the solution to every crisis we face.

It's not for everyone but some of us are doing fine!

• Thanks 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

36 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am an existentialist and have been silently quoting nietzsche since senior year in highschool when we realized quoting nietzsche aloud results in (deserved) stares and concern. perhaps counterintuitive, the realization it is all meaningless and quite possibly hopeless is what prompted us to get more involved in charitable efforts. why Constitutional Law instead o' something which might, y'know, pay?

choice. is our choice and that is what gives meaning to our actions. 

am not concerned or hopeful 'bout civilization. 

am not able to ignore people.

HA! Good Fun!

Nihilism leads to cynicism. And vice versa. 

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

EURykHSXkAcZwCe?format=jpg&name=900x900

I'd say stage freeze in the nude before Robert Pattinson while out in the rain.

Edited by Agiel
  • Haha 4
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

I think this is the sort of myopic apathy is only possible while reality hasn't sunk in. If you're insulated because you're homestead, I consider you to be upholding civilization in the small. Even those people will find out that they need long distance trade for basic commodities. There is no good to come from misanthropy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, injurai said:

I think this is the sort of myopic apathy is only possible while reality hasn't sunk in.

I gave it 30+ years to sink in, it failed. Haven't indeed cared much about the world in that time. If it didn't sink in during 3 decades, it probably wont ;)

Not that I'm sitting at the sideline and waving a little Corona flag, cheering it on mind you 😂

Just agreed to up my monthly Red Cross donation on the phone today, so it's not that I hate all people, just really don't care about society in it's current form.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

10 hours ago, algroth said:

If there was ever need of more proof to how massively the government blundered this whole thing, imagine trying to instigate another war with the Middle East in the middle of a pandemic and economic collapse.

What could possibly go wrong? 

Worst case scenario is WW3. Best case scenario is airstrikes against Iran which could cause a huge unrest in the middle of a pandemic. 

Why not. It's not as if people here have control over ANYTHING. I guess we deserve the worst when we let the government so comfortably push it's **** up our buttholes for 40 long years...

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

My second line was a joke, Bruce

A bad one to be sure but I thought it would be funny to reply that to you

It is funny  but you seldom joke on the " serious "  topics so I assumed it was your real opinion 

But I wouldnt  quit your  day job  with aspirations of becoming a comedian   :p

You know I have been told by most of my girlfriends I have a terrible sense of humor, one or 2 of them have even accused my sense of humor of being " sick " ....I think my sense of humor is great. Its just misunderstood by many 

John Milton 

7 hours ago, Gorth said:

Gorthfuscious we need to discuss  this view in detail, I really have time since the lock-down to engage in these types of debates some would call frivolous but I find interesting as I learn what motivates different people and how they see the world 

Are you prepared to answer some questions around this view you have ....I love injurai choice of words " myopic apathy ".....classic statement :thumbsup:

John Milton