Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

hadn't previous considered russian orthodox priests on flatbeds doing mass holy water blessings street-by-street. a novel virus needs novel solutions. good for russia.

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Michigan State Rep. Isaac Robinson dies of coronavirus. For those of us here that get sick (and it is statistically very likely at least some of us will), keep in mind that the line between "I'm alright, hanging in there" and "welp I guess I'm dead" is notoriously thin with this thing. There have been a number of cases where people thought their sickness was manageable and not getting worse for a few days, and then suddenly were overwhelmed and dead within just a few hours. Be very proactive in monitoring yourself (...and loved ones if they get sick). Going to the hospital during a pandemic sucks with all the risk factors, but if you're legitimately going to die at home anyways, you might as well try.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Sweden is indeed helping Science and our understanding

Look at it this way, if they succeed, they can award themselves the Nobel Prize. If they fail, they can get the Darwin Award. Win/Win 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ford, GE estimate it will take until end of April to produce 1,500 ventilators

so trump says peak is in two weeks. where such figure come from is anybody's guess. however, the ventilators being produced won't begin coming off the assembly line 'til late april.

personal protective equipment and testing? well, the ppe shortage is not 'cause there is a surge o' patients who may have a sooper transmissible disease in hospitals but 'cause essential supplies are 'going out the back door.' and testing? testing is great. 'ccording to the most recent trump presser, is more per-capita testing in the US than south korea (lie)... and the population of seoul is 38 million btw (wrong). regardless, trump hasn't heard any testing complaints in weeks.  

today, march 30, many hospitals are stretched to the breaking point. cases and deaths is doubling every 3-4 days.

the intelligence community were briefing lawmakers in late january and early february that covid-19 were coming to the USA sooner rather than later. the media were reporting 'bout what were happening with covid-19 in china at beginning of january.  first US death were late january.

oh, and what the hell is wrong with people?

what is wrong with people?

HA! Good Fun!

• Sad 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

14 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

Ford, GE estimate it will take until end of April to produce 1,500 ventilators

so trump says peak is in two weeks. where such figure come from is anybody's guess. however, the ventilators being produced won't begin coming off the assembly line 'til late april.

personal protective equipment and testing? well, the ppe shortage is not 'cause there is a surge o' patients who may have a sooper transmissible disease in hospitals but 'cause essential supplies are 'going out the back door.' and testing? testing is great. 'ccording to the most recent trump presser, is more per-capita testing in the US than south korea (lie)... and the population of seoul is 38 million btw (wrong). regardless, trump hasn't heard any testing complaints in weeks.  

today, march 30, many hospitals are stretched to the breaking point. cases and deaths is doubling every 3-4 days.

the intelligence community were briefing lawmakers in late january and early february that covid-19 were coming to the USA sooner rather than later. the media were reporting 'bout what were happening with covid-19 in china at beginning of january.  first US death were late january.

oh, and what the hell is wrong with people?

what is wrong with people?

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Bringing the MyPillow CEO on was really beneficial.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

https://nypost.com/2020/03/30/belarus-president-believes-vodka-and-saunas-will-cure-coronavirus/

So the president of Belarus is ignoring the global health advice and thinks the virus is fake news....its unacceptable that you have world leaders who sprout this garbage but at least Belarus isnt exactly a serious  tourist or trade destination so hopefully this ignorance causes limited damage as it spreads in  Belarus 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

This is a fascinating video of how South Korea is containing the virus (and why it wouldn't work in the U.S.)

Key Points:
Masks work and the public is encouraged to wear them in public. They don't listen to the WHO.
It costs $140 to take a test. If you test positive, the test is free.
All returning passengers are tested and taken to an area to wait for their test.
It takes 6 hours to get your results.
If positive, they are taken away.
If negative, they go home to self isolate. An app is installed on your phone.
They need to update the app twice a day. If you don't update, they call you to find out why.
If you leave your house, the app sounds an alarm and alerts the authorities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAk7aX5hksU

Edited by Hiro Protagonist
formatting
  • Thanks 3

Study estimates overall IFR to be 0.66%.

In all laboratory confirmed and clinically diagnosed cases from mainland China (n=70 117), we estimated a crude case fatality ratio (adjusted for censoring) of 3·67% (95% CrI 3·56–3·80). However, after further adjusting for demography and under-ascertainment, we obtained a best estimate of the case fatality ratio in China of 1·38% (1·23–1·53), with substantially higher ratios in older age groups (0·32% [0·27–0·38] in those aged <60 years vs 6·4% [5·7–7·2] in those aged ≥60 years), up to 13·4% (11·2–15·9) in those aged 80 years or older. Estimates of case fatality ratio from international cases stratified by age were consistent with those from China (parametric estimate 1·4% [0·4–3·5] in those aged <60 years [n=360] and 4·5% [1·8–11·1] in those aged ≥60 years [n=151]). Our estimated overall infection fatality ratio for China was 0·66% (0·39–1·33), with an increasing profile with age.

Even if that seems much lower than what one may think, it's worth remembering that IFR for the seasonal flu is ~0.1%. The 1918 one was ~2%.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Trump with a sobering pivot today: “It's not like the flu. [...] I want every American to be prepared for the hard days that lie ahead. We’re going to go through a very tough two weeks.” White House now officially projects between 100,000 and 240,000 deaths...IF states and people follow these "social distancing" guidelines.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Trump with a sobering pivot today: “It's not like the flu. [...] I want every American to be prepared for the hard days that lie ahead. We’re going to go through a very tough two weeks.” White House now officially projects between 100,000 and 240,000 deaths...IF states and people follow these "social distancing" guidelines.

It will be interesting to see if Trump is still able to win in November, I think this virus, the damage done to the economy  and the initial lackluster response from White House is going to cost him 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

24 minutes ago, Skazz said:

You know, I'm unironically starting to feel that this will be the year that I die.

Oh, well. I guess I've had a mediocre run anyway.

watched the road (2009) the other day. only got halfway through the film.

*sigh*

am recalling better times when we could sit back and enjoy a bit o' vapid saccharine cheer in a movie.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
ps is there a sardonic emoji? we don't use emojis, so am s'posing it doesn't matter.
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Skazz said:

You know, I'm unironically starting to feel that this will be the year that I die.

Oh, well. I guess I've had a mediocre run anyway.

Why do you think you will die this year....what about your dogs, who is going to look after them? 

• Like 1

John Milton 

43 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Why do you think you will die this year....what about your dogs, who is going to look after them? 

I mean, I'm not panicking, and I haven't been crushed by despair yet. Still, when you consider the estimates that (off the top of my head, not sure about the accuracy, could be misremembered internet stuff) 50 to 70% of the human population may eventually contract some form of the virus, it isn't exactly uplifting news.

But yeah, you're right. Gotta keep moving somehow, if only because I wouldn't want to sadden my old boy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Skazz said:

I mean, I'm not panicking, and I haven't been crushed by despair yet. Still, when you consider the estimates that (off the top of my head, not sure about the accuracy, could be misremembered internet stuff) 50 to 70% of the human population may eventually contract some form of the virus, it isn't exactly uplifting news.

But yeah, you're right. Gotta keep moving somehow, if only because I wouldn't want to sadden my old boy.

• Like 1

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I just read Vinton Cerf, one of the two inventors of TCP/IP has COVID-19. From what I read it sounds like he's in bad shape. Ironic. He is being killed by a virus caused by the disgusting eating habits of a country whose government it trying to undo his greatest accomplishment. It's almost symbolic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

I just read Vinton Cerf, one of the two inventors of TCP/IP has COVID-19. From what I read it sounds like he's in bad shape. Ironic. He is being killed by a virus caused by the disgusting eating habits of a country whose government it trying to undo his greatest accomplishment. It's almost symbolic. 

I tend to agree about the source and cause of the virus being China but how are the Chinese trying to undo TCP/IP?

It is the core routing protocol of the Internet and IP 6 was created after Vince Cerfs important contribution. Within China the Chinese can attempt to create there own routing protocol but it will only apply within there own country so who cares what they do within there borders as long as it not virus related or something similar 

John Milton 

17 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I tend to agree about the source and cause of the virus being China but how are the Chinese trying to undo TCP/IP?

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-30-china-huawei-new-ip-proposal.html

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/nato-warns-new-authoritarian/

Free access to information for everyone is the bane of every government. Even the "free" ones. Especially ones like China. I think what they are proposing will be found attractive to a lot of places. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 2

Thomas Sowell

4 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

https://www.engadget.com/2020-03-30-china-huawei-new-ip-proposal.html

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/nato-warns-new-authoritarian/

Free access to information for everyone is the bane of every government. Even the "free" ones. Especially ones like China. I think what they are proposing will be found attractive to a lot of places. 

Thanks for the links but this supports my original point. Outside of China the worlds Internet routers, and all forms of TCP/IP communication,  use IP4 and IP6 but these protocols like all software protocols align to the different levels of the OSI model which means specific protocols exist and have certain functions within each level. So in summary its irrelevant what the Chinese want to do because they dont get to decide how data flows and connects using TCP/IP. All they can do is create there own data protocols within there country but this wont mean the rest of the world will follow this unnecessary path

The) International Standards Organization is responsible for the OSI model and the development of all related TCP/IP protocols 

https://www.webopedia.com/quick_ref/OSI_Layers.asp

John Milton 

5 hours ago, BruceVC said:

It will be interesting to see if Trump is still able to win in November, I think this virus, the damage done to the economy  and the initial lackluster response from White House is going to cost him 

Nah. Trump just got another win against Fake News Media with hospital ships after FNM claimed they will not arrive. Don't forget that everytime Trump will drive into a road bump Democrats and Media will crash into a wall soon after.

166215__front.jpg

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/01/russia-sends-medical-supplies-coronavirus-159009

Russia is sending a planeload of masks and other supplies to help the United States fight the coronavirus pandemic as the number of cases threatens to top 200,000 across the country.

The plane will arrive today, after President Donald Trump accepted an offer on Monday by Russian President Vladimir Putin to send personal protective equipment and other gear, a senior administration official confirmed to POLITICO.

• Like 1