Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

5 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Trump says he'll withhold critical supplies from blue states unless they start being nice to him. Yeah, contrary to what I said a few weeks ago, maybe I would prefer if he died of coronavirus, I'm not totally sure at this point anymore, really.

Got a link to this?

My Twitch channel: https://www.twitch.tv/alephg

Currently playing: Roadwarden

1 hour ago, algroth said:

https://www.bz-berlin.de/leute/corona-drama-rammstein-saenger-till-lindemann-auf-der-intensivstation

Rammstein singer Till Lindemann in intensive care due to coronavirus.

Tyska medier har skrivit att Lindemann testats positivt för corona, men det stämmer inte enligt FKP Scorpio.

– Men vi har fått ett bekräftat besked om att han testats negativt för corona, säger Apelqvist till GP.

https://www.gp.se/kultur/kultur/rammstein-stjärnan-uppges-vårdas-på-intensiven-1.26043420

"German media has reported that LIndemann has tested positive for corona virus, but that isn't accurate according to FKP Scorpio.

- But we do have confirmation that he has tested negative for corona, says Apelqvist(FKP Scorpio) to GP"

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

26 minutes ago, algroth said:

Got a link to this?

Might be this.  Not exactly saying that he'll withhold aid, but still a pretty petulant thing to say

Mommy and Daddy definitely did not pay enough attention to him as a child 😛

• Thanks 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Trump is a buffoon.

Is he still calling it the "Chinese virus?"
I've read some articles re: racism starting here and there (San Francisco). People afraid and wanting to blame something and Asian's noticing an uptick in attitudes on that. It's sad.

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

@"chinese virus": pence was recently insisting to other world leaders that they call it the "wuhan virus", they didn't give a crap and he looked like a fool for it, so probably?

@asians: please no, it's already hard enough to find good asian food here, I just found a good little mom & pop vietnamese place a couple of months ago and they're probably going to go out of business because of this

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 minute ago, HoonDing said:

Can we get rid of the ****ing federal government yet?

Lately, I think we're all starting to think a little more like Guard Dog regarding the federal government...

• Like 1

This is all true. Another couple of issues to remark here: Italy and Spain have been fighting the pandemic at a massive level longer than the US, around March 12 USA had roughly 1500 confirmed cases whilst Italy had 15000.

I don't know about Italy, but I can tell you that if there's anything massive about what's going on in Spain, it is the incompetence. By March 8-10, there were massive political rallies going on, crowds gathering outside stadiums (because the venues themselves were closed), a huge feminist demonstration, etc. It was business as usual because back then the official stance was "everything's under control, no biggie". Literally nothing was being done. That very Sunday, the confinement measures were decreed.

We're now seeing the consequences of years of cuts in the public healthcare system. One of the reasons why Germany is doing so well comparatively is because they have about 3x as many ICU beds per capita -- not to mention the exhaustive and early testing and contagion monitoring. Hospitals and law enforcement here lack basic supplies such as face masks and gloves because they are now impossible to come by. Retirement homes are being left to fend for themselves because private contractors had been plundering them for years but no one gave two ****s and now hospitals just can't handle the situation.

So now we have draconian measures that forbid even going for a walk by yourself in hopes that fines and army rifles will stop a virus. That is the Spanish way. It won't work of course, because there have been more than 1,000 arrests and 100k+ fines already, and we aren't even two weeks in. Good luck keeping 95% of the population under house arrest with no end in sight.

I read somewhere, can't recall where now, that the time people struck with the flu with need of a ventilator would stay on it for an average of 2-5 days whereas people with coronavirus might need to be connected for 2-3 *weeks*.

I'd like to see a source on that, if possible. Average ICU stay is 8 days, and total hospital stay is 11, from what I've read.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Trump says he'll withhold critical supplies from blue states unless they start being nice to him. Yeah, contrary to what I said a few weeks ago, maybe I would prefer if he died of coronavirus, I'm not totally sure at this point anymore, really.

I suspect DJT would probably be given convalescent plasma treatment anyway. He's the Terminator.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

1 hour ago, rjshae said:

when-saving-the-world-1.jpg

Damn Western Front bias!  😛

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

He's sweet. As the top video commentator mentioned tho, should've changed it to Sweet Quarantine.  kappa1.png

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

^  People have been wondering about the "death" of theater film viewing for a long time now.  This could be it.   :P

My sister, who thought she was getting over the virus finally a few days ago, told me she think she's relapsing, as she's started having really bad coughing and breathing again. I've heard of some such relapse cases, and from the sounds of it are at least sometimes fatal. Used to have three sisters, hoping I won't be down to one anytime soon. Can't do anything to help her. She says she's planning on going in tomorrow if it stays like it is right now.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

My sister, who thought she was getting over the virus finally a few days ago, told me she think she's relapsing, as she's started having really bad coughing and breathing again. I've heard of some such relapse cases, and from the sounds of it are at least sometimes fatal. Used to have three sisters, hoping I won't be down to one anytime soon. Can't do anything to help her. She says she's planning on going in tomorrow if it stays like it is right now.

Here's hoping she recovers.

• Like 5

In Australia, we're a few weeks behind Europe and the U.S. but our trajectory is probably on the same curve as France. One reason why we're so behind is because it was Summer here and many were aussies travel overseas at the time. We're seeing a lot of people come back over the last few weeks and continue to see travellers come back. It was a misconception that the Southern hemisphere was doing better because of the warmer climate, but in reality the virus just didn't get here until later.

• Like 1

I don't understand the panic buying at all. Here in Iran the situation is just as bad as any European country, but hoarding is not a thing at all. You can even buy hand sanitizers from super markets. It's just the masks that are hard to come buy. 

It doesn't matter though, because it is going to be a financial problem that we will be facing soon and that can't be avoided. You can't buy sh*t if you don't have the money.

People will have to go to work soon and the spread might continue. Time will tell...

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

I've read reports of isolated looting and calls to revolt in Southern Italy. I wonder how long before governments in my neck of the woods start out-CCPing the CCP.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Within two weeks.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands