Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

BBC - Thousands volunteer to help the NHS

Some 250,000 people have signed up in a single day to volunteer with the NHS after a recruitment drive to help the vulnerable amid the coronavirus crisis.

The helpers are needed for delivering food and medicines, driving patients to appointments and phoning the isolated.

The scheme is one of a number aimed at relieving pressure on the NHS.

About 11,000 former medics have also agreed to return to the health service and more than 24,000 final year student nurses and medics will join them.

• Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Amazon workers test positive for covid-19 at six U.S. warehouses

I was already thinking of starting a like 4-tier mail system where it's like "okay, this mail is 1 day old...this mail is 2 days old, and this mail is 3 days old, and now this mail is 4 days old and safe to open". Might start implementing that now.

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

35 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Amazon workers test positive for covid-19 at six U.S. warehouses

I was already thinking of starting a like 4-tier mail system where it's like "okay, this mail is 1 day old...this mail is 2 days old, and this mail is 3 days old, and now this mail is 4 days old and safe to open". Might start implementing that now.

Well, you'll still be handling it before that... 

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

I've always treated the packaging as dirty, so dispose of the envelope/box immediately and wash my hands after. 

Edited by Malcador
  • Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

What Malcador said. The only place mail has been currently going on before being disposed of and my hands cleaned is my floor...but if you want to get technical, the contents could be infected before arriving as well (especially in this cold weather where the virus likely lives for a longer period of time), OR they could get infected by me removing the contents while still holding onto the packaging.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

19 minutes ago, injurai said:

COVID-19 being a joint GOP-CPC conspiracy to kill off Medicare by attacking the non-establishment boomers confirmed. 🕵️‍♂️

I watched that interview and  found it particularly egregious, nonsensical  and insensitive... the LG was literally suggesting he has met old people who are prepared to sacrifice themselves for the future of the economy and there children and grandchildren....I find that hard to believe and its basically illogical. Which elderly person would be prepared to end there life in defense of this metaphorical and nebulous ultimate sacrifice called the  " Economy "  

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

20 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

I watched that interview and  found it particularly egregious, nonsensical  and insensitive... the LG was literally suggesting he has met old people who are prepared to sacrifice themselves for the future of the economy and there children and grandchildren....I find that hard to believe and its basically illogical. Which elderly person would be prepared to end there life in defense of this metaphorical and nebulous ultimate sacrifice called the  " Economy "  

apparently Inuits

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senicide

• Like 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Star Trek sure had some lazy aliens. 😛

• Like 2

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I don't know if anyone seen this yet, but after reading the article and plz take the time to sign the petition (and share it!) . 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/louisiana-pastor-defies-coronavirus-order-draws-over-1-000-people-n1168501

cose this is ridiculous! 

Also, here in Canada, Quebec...you can guess. it's going up, and we have peoples not following the rules and everyone is panicking and buying Toilet papers (You can't even eat tha stuff! Like what the..lol) .

Keep safe everyone! 

I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?

Elderly Hive Dweller

1000?cb=20121207032445&path-prefix=en

^Just because

My county issued an order to shelter in place that goes into effect tomorrow. They're doing even bigger fines and longer jail time than Denver but their exemptions are so broadly defined, and purposefully so, that I think you'd actually have to try to run afoul of the law. 

Still such a restrictive order backed up with substantial punishment (I know some people need the stick) rubs me, and those standing near me, the wrong way right in the freedom. 

For the Greater Good.

Free games updated 3/4/21

90285531_2843696299050444_52642406504794

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

https://www.unacast.com/covid19/social-distancing-scoreboard

is knee-jerk to draw too many conclusions, but is interesting to look at the data.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There is a certain renaissance of the arts so to speak going on with everything.

And a reminder that there are nice people out there...

No photo description available.
  • Like 7

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

There is a certain renaissance of the arts so to speak going on with everything.

And a reminder that there are nice people out there...

(image)

am recalling pbs buffalo went after levar burton when he resurrected the reading rainbow show via a kickstarter campaign. seth macfarlane contributed ~$1 million to the kickstarter. am embarrassed to admit we never bothered to see what were the resolution o' the legal kerfuffle, 'but given he is still reading but not using "rainbow," am assuming some kinda settlement were reached which allows mr. burton to continue.

is our opinion gaiman's best work is found in his kid friendly and ya catalog, and that ain't a backhanded compliment. the graveyard book is one o' the best stories we has read since 2000... period. no qualification as a children's book needed.

applause for mr. burton and gaiman respective.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2

So a Chinese doctor who was sent to Italy to help out the horrid situation there, observed what was going on in Italy and realized what Italy problem's was, (and I'm paraphrasing): "WHY THE **** IS NO ONE STAYING HOME? WHY IS EVERYONE STILL WALKING AROUND OUTSIDE?? AND WITHOUT A FACE MASK??? WHY HAS NOTHING SHUT DOWN?"

THAT is the problem that has been causing massive casualties in Italy.

Original source:  China expert lambasts Italy’s ‘lax’ response to pandemic

Well, here comes the punchline: the US is even more lax than Italy has been.

Edited by ktchong

U.S. has overtaken China for official confirmed cases numbers. Mind you, the Chinese numbers are almost definitely cooked...but so are ours (although more likely by incompetency/lack of resources to test). Really wish I didn't know so many people that worked at hospitals right now, including family members...

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

U.S. has overtaken China for official confirmed cases numbers. Mind you, the Chinese numbers are almost definitely cooked...but so are ours (although more likely by incompetency/lack of resources to test). Really wish I didn't know so many people that worked at hospitals right now, including family members...

Given how neurotic testing policy can be here (no tests unless specific systems, despite asymptomatic cases being common in many areas) I think the current number is at most a tenth of actual cases and we're not at the peak yet due to disastrous policies.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands