Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

I've skimmed the thread now and then but I don't have all that much to say on the whole state of affairs, outside of a joke or two.

Nature...even if you succeed against one thing for some years something else will come along or what used to work will slowly stop working etc.  There is no true safety net and I try not to waste energy stressing about something I can do nothing about. I already live in semi-isolation anyway. 

I certainly do hope everyone stays safe and that it all ends up being nothing major long-term, although I suspect this could all start some social changes before long. then again, maybe not - memories are short.  *shrug*

Side note: it was a little funny to be playing Death Stranding during this time, because I kept thinking that it could be the future - no face to face shopping or idle interactions for most of the population. Self-isolation to an extreme, far more than ppl sitting in silence because of smartphones.

In a less sci-fi sense, shaking hands as a greeting could become anathema and go the way of the dodo at least.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 3/20/2020 at 10:46 AM, Hurlshot said:

I'm confused about hard boiling eggs to make them last. Raw eggs last 4-5 weeks in the fridge. They only last about a week once boiled. https://www.incredibleegg.org/cooking-school/tips-tricks/egg-storage/

Maybe when they are 5 weeks old, you hard-boil them to make them last a week longer.

That would be my take.

Don't take this as a recommendation, I'm neither doctor nor chef.

Went shopping today a bit earlier than I had planned today, busy but shelves mostly stocked fine. Half an hour later they announced a move to a total shutdown by Wednesday, cue pictures of queues out of supermarkets and hundreds of cars waiting to get into the car parks...

Sister's fever finally broke after about 10-12 days of having it. She's a smoker and said it's been some of the worst few weeks of her life. Maybe this will finally get her to quit...probably not, :p. Just in case anybody didn't know...smoking is a severe comorbidity for coronavirus, young people included.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

My first day of remote work starts in a few hours, while we left one person behind in case of a catastrophic hardware error who will be rotated out bi-weekly, they've closed up our office and wont go out aside from an emergency at the hospital or heat/power plant or the like that has to be fixed immediately, I suspect that I wont be back there for at least two-three months. Aside from that I've been stocking up on food and other supplies and plan to not leave the apartment for the duration aside from a daily hike when the weather allows it.

• Like 2

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

So after week or so of quarantine we have 17K tested, around 1K positive and first dead (95 years old grandpa who had like 10 other health problems apart from corona) and around 10 people cured. I must say I am quite proud how our government is handling this situation and I don't say this lightly as before this I was really not a big fan. I was also shopping today and was pleasantly surprised. All people wear protective gear and shops are full of supplies. I was tempted to take pic of shelf full of toilet paper :)

overall quite positive outlook. I hope we can handle zombie apocalypse same way

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

People are trying to buy into the social distancing here, but in my local grocery no one seemed to care.  The staff were yelling at people to space out, prompted some guy to give some speech about how this is "weakening our society" and some other nonsense, so at least that was entertaining.  Cashiers got a small face shield and all had gloves so that was something.

Only saw one grocery that was letting people in in groups and was wiping down carts.  We're still not that high up in testing, I think last number from Canada is ~98,000 (Ontario has a backlog of 8500, bleh).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Fauci gets frank about Trump: ‘I can’t jump in front of the microphone and push him down’

is another covid-19 story which appears to nevertheless be paywall protected. 

looks like it is at msn as well

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/fauci-gets-frank-about-trump-i-cant-jump-in-front-of-the-microphone-and-push-him-down/ar-BB11yEAg

“We sit down for an hour and a half, go over all the issues on the agenda,” Fauci said, adding that the group also discusses what they want to emphasize to the public that day before meeting with Trump.

“Then we go in to see the president, we present [our consensus] to him and somebody writes a speech,” he explained. “Then he gets up and ad-libs on his speech. And then we’re up there to try and answer questions.”

am thinking for the moment fauci is not gonna be fired as even trump needs know how bad that would look. however, fauci is scaling up his overt resistance to some o' the President's more egregious misrepresentations. is only a matter o' time before an immovable object must give way to the p00p hurling orangutan with impulse control issues in an ill fitting suit who is current the chief executive o' the USA.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

quarantine in nutshell

• Like 3

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Watching Trump's briefings is certainly an experience.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

55 minutes ago, algroth said:

USA's so ****ed.

Thankfully it isn't, because we aren't really at the mercy of our federal government. We have State, County, and local governments in place to handle the important stuff.

• Like 2

South Africa goes into " full  lock-down"  on Thursday, I am preparing myself for doing my own housework and seeing what customer  work I can do remotely, obviously I will be following the rules of self-isolation. Only essential services will be open like other countries, lets just keep everyone updated as we see things unfold in our respective regions :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

In Finland they opened our apocalypse vaults (security of supply storages), in order to ensure that hospitals will not run out of protective gear, as for reasons those vaults contain among other things millions of surgical masks and protectors, which were running out until someone remembered that we actually have more than enough stored for in case of bad day. 😷

• Like 4