Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

On 3/16/2020 at 2:41 PM, Guard Dog said:

Yeah, Guard Dog posted it a couple of days ago. It won't make a huge difference unless it's sustained (which, uh, depending on how bad this gets, it might be...), but it is neat nonetheless. The fishies will grow strong while we grow weak..

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

usa were so lucky to have forewarning o' the coronavirus. china made worse by hiding, but were still a huge advantage this disease started elsewhere. we first became aware o' the pandemic potential in later 2019 and we knew by late january 2020. lucky. 

too bad we #@%$ed it up, eh?

so much time wasted. only now is personnel and equipment being mobilized responsibly... at least more responsible.

so, enjoy the flowers.

HA! Good Fun!

ps

would be so ez to dismiss as yet another example o' floridaman ignorance, but sf folks, living under new shelter in place restrictions, ain't doing much better.

people in china and italy must look at such images with shock.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Its better than panic, I mean, this flu have 200K cases world wide and around 10K deaths and 90K recovered. Its really not that much worse than normal flu happening every year. I mean I hope it will not get much worse

this is flu stats apparently (sounds really worse than I thought)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

another repeat

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/heartbreaking-video-shows-coronavirus-devastating-toll-on-italy/

we are finding out daily how the transmissibility o' the pathogen is higher than original believed.

china resorted to draconian measures to keep their numbers as low as they are, and is every reason to believe the chinese could be downplaying how bad their covid-19 outbreak has been. chinese also were initial doing the chill thing-- went so far as criminalizing those individuals who were warning their fellow citizens o' a potential disease problem in wuhan.

etc.

gd were wondering recent why we cannot have nice things? answered.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

475 new deaths reported in Italy today, deadliest day there so far

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/italy-reports-475-new-coronavirus-deaths-highest-one-day-toll-12553828

--

Interesting interview with Tucker Carlson (who apparently is the reason why Trump takes this seriously now?)

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/03/tucker-carlson-on-how-he-brought-coronavirus-message-to-mar-a-lago

Edited by Maedhros

4 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Its better than panic, I mean, this flu have 200K cases world wide and around 10K deaths and 90K recovered. Its really not that much worse than normal flu happening every year. I mean I hope it will not get much worse

this is flu stats apparently (sounds really worse than I thought)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Influenza

Influenza spreads around the world in yearly outbreaks, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 290,000 to 650,000 deaths

It really, really isn't. Remember that you can't just look at the numbers and say "that's the absolute objective nature of the virus, case closed". We know for a fact that nobody really has a good estimate of actual # of infected in the US, for example, and that will be true of many other countries as well. Every epidemiologist or public health expert treats the positive test / mortality rates with due caution, and never as an absolute basis for judgment.

Even if we set aside the near future impact, we can look at what has already happened. The flu has *never* forced a relatively developed nation like Italy to have overflowing hospital corridors full of patients, wartime triage measures where you treat healthier people rather than the most sick people (i.e. tacitly accepting you can't save the latter), and so on. The flu has never hit Wuhan or Seoul as hard as this has.

Nations don't like doing lockdowns and border shutdowns. They really really don't want to do it. Even doing it for a few days costs untold amounts of money. These things cause stock market crashes and depressions. You don't do it unless all the experts are screaming at you that **** is really hitting the fan.

There is uncertainty & dilemmas about what exactly to do for each city/area and exactly how bad it is going to get. I wouldn't go out and tell people X is exactly how many people it will kill so Y and Z is exactly how everyone has to respond. However it is super definitively clear that this is not 'just the flu'.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

So much for irreversible damage to nature. In few weeks of lower activity nature visibly returns to... well, natural state.

On the topic. Coronavirus pandemic had painfully showed how inept European Union is in dealing with any tough situation. EU completely irrelevant in whole situation. All the weight of the problem is carried by each separate government etc.

The only thing EU reminded is how hypocritical of an institution it is. Of course the criticizm of Poland and other smaller countries for closing borders and lack of unity. Of course when big countries decided EU closed it borders very next day and there was no criticism when Germany seized transports of medical supplies for Italy they desperately need right now. But that's not lack of unity.

166215__front.jpg

Looks like the virus likely just hit where I lived. Have a friend at the local hospital, and it went from literally one patient last night (they've been trying to keep it empty and pre-emptively sending all but critical cases home to try to reduce the spread - hospitals have been a common vector for its spread in other countries) to all but one room filled tonight with people who are having respiratory failure. First night, and virtually already at maximum capacity...

Additionally, my older sister (who lives more southern) has been sick and running a fever for like...a week now? - tested for a variety of things including influenza A and B, and all negative...but they're not allowed (or don't have the resources?) for testing for coronavirus in all but the most critical cases, so they told her to quarantine herself and act like she has it...because she probably does.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Sad 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

1 hour ago, injurai said:

vid

like too many other current social issues, people chose sides on coronavirus, not that there ever were sides. if an issue becomes binary, then there will be predictable polarization which leads to the predictable echo box and groupthink culture we has seen develop beyond our expectations this past decade. once people choose a side, then it becomes near impossible to move 'em. 

again, covid-19 is not a sides kinda thing. regarding the current pandemic, there were a paucity o' information which initially made multiple outcomes plausible. given the severity o' too many o' those outcomes, our opinion back in january was that it made sense to prepare for worst case scenarios even if we hoped for best... but we are so past that point. 

nevertheless, we are faced with endemic me and mine selfishness o' 2020 peoples as well as the near impossibility o' moving individuals from one side to another, even if the sides were never real. we won't see people buy into and embrace the need for social distancing until they abandon their emotional attachment to a side and recognize how selfishness does more to hurt us all as 'posed to genuine helping me and mine

this is not an apocalypse kinda moment, least not the 90-minute movie or sf novel apocalypse norm. assume 1% death rate directly attributed to disease and then add a couple more % points if worst-case scenario health care surge measures fail. even worst-case, is not the pockyclypse kinda situation which has us embracing "shiny and chrome."

faced with a serious situation, people should try to stay calm. panic is self destructive and all too often people in high pressure situations behave in a manner which is jaw-dropping foolish. however, there needs also be a recognition that short o' panic inducing drama, am uncertain people will abandon sides. 

listen to fauci and look at italy triage situation and nevertheless remain unconvinced there is anything to see here? 

wtf?

so need to get past this sides culture which spread less quick than covid-19, but may end up being more lethal.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

Okay so far South Africa we have started  getting the ball rolling in doing as much as is reasonably possible around our correct country response 

• Weekly  updates from government  based on proven, global information on the Virus from the likes of WHO and CDC
  • Daily discussions across the media on correct virus prevention and general understandings of how the virus works
  • We have established a quarantine center for anyone who comes back from countries like China
  • We have passed legislation that will allow us to prosecute anyone who  is openly dismissive of the virus and refuses to adhere to best practice

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Additionally, my older sister (who lives more southern) has been sick and running a fever for like...a week now? - tested for a variety of things including influenza A and B, and all negative...but they're not allowed (or don't have the resources?) for testing for coronavirus in all but the most critical cases, so they told her to quarantine herself and act like she has it...because she probably does.

good luck. take care of your family. take care of yourself. take care.

• Like 1

People panicking are an ugly sight (man stabbed in scuffle over toilet paper rolls)

https://www.thechronicle.com.au/news/woolies-employee-stabbed-amid-chaos/3974381/

Virus is not what it used to be...

Fo1 Military Base Destroyed.png

(Fallout - Forced Evolution Virus :nuke:)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Not a bio-weapon. We knew that.. but still. A weaponized virus would likely be a LOT worse. https://www.studyfinds.org/coronavirus-origins-covid-19-wasnt-produced-in-a-lab-scientists-conclude/

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

good luck. take care of your family. take care of yourself. take care.

What's terrible is she's the type that can't really cook at home and loves to shop. She'll probably be okay - probably - but I wonder how many people she'll have infected from running around town every day over the past few weeks with little regard for other people's safety. Makes me wonder places like Florida with high senior populations and little to no regard for public safety yet (because it's not yet "serious enough") will turn out...my guess is "not good". I've seen some people make comparisons to the mayor who refused to close the beaches in Jaws...

Edited by Bartimaeus

R00fles! So much butthurt in the air, but youre damn skippy Im preparing for the worst and idgaf what any 🤡 thinks. I honestly dont understand the qq-ing round here. On one hand Im incapable of respecting a person that doesnt prioritize themselves and their families, but on the other hand, I have to understand the perspective of those people. If theyve never had a mate, or children, no family, or even rl social friends, etc... then theyre simply not capable of understanding. Loser always gonna be loser. :shrugz: