Coronavirus : Country readiness

BruceVC

15 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

There's an episode that always gets skipped

neither the masks nor the darmok and jalok(sp?) at tenagra(sp?) episodes from tng gets much repeat viewing from Gromnir. even so, we do remember such. have used "sokath, his eyes uncovered," similar to valentine michael smith's grok 'mongst particular nerdworthy crowd.

am gonna admit masks is not a favorite, but ain't in our angel one or code of honor grouping o' tng least faves.

HA! Good Fun!

ps recent deceased Justice Stevens were fond o' "grok." 

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

double-post. apologies.

for those looking for honest assessment o' coronavirus, particular Americans, we recommend looking for any new news or opinion direct attributable to anthony fauci.

https://thehill.com/opinion/healthcare/487049-has-dr-anthony-fauci-made-trump-irrelevant-to-the-coronavirus-crisis

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/nih-s-fauci-wishes-trump-hadn-t-disbanded-global-health-n1155866

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/03/11/anthony-fauci-undercuts-trump-flu-other-coronavirus-assertions/

Coronavirus: 1,000 Cases Now In U.S. And 'It's Going To Get Worse,' Fauci Says

am not personal showing symptoms, but watching committee members bicker over politics made us feel sick. can fast forward to whenever fauci speaks, 'cause even a few o' the other experts were more than a little evasive. asked why US cannot do testing of type and scale o' south korea, dr. redfield o' the cdc does classic political pivot. 

added a business insider link:

8 key exchanges from the testimony of the nation's top infectious disease expert who warned the US outbreak is going to 'get worse'

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51846923

Travel ban on people coming in from EU.  Seems a bit late, I guess.   

Also NBA season suspended.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

49 minutes ago, Malcador said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51846923

Travel ban on people coming in from EU.  Seems a bit late, I guess.   

Also NBA season suspended.

pretty much every move by the US has been late other than work on a vaccine, and the vaccine started later than it should have 'cause the chinese were hiding the scope o' the threat. we noted previous how the nsc, after the ebola outbreak, had a special global health security unit to deal with pandemics and the unit were exorcised by the current administration. in north america we are all gonna pay for that mistake.

with tonight's speech, the President did final come to grips with the significance o' the pandemic.  thankful absence o' his hannity interview nonsense where he said folks with the virus could go to work. on the negative side, trump nevertheless undersold the scope o' the measures which is likely to be enacted in the near future, which is gonna result in confusion and fear if (when?) school gymnasiums and city convention centers is being transformed into temporary medical facilities.  is already increasing number o' folks wondering at the absence o' testing and the President didn't speak to the shortfall o' available tests in the near future.

trump read from the teleprompter and didn't say anything overt stoopid. 

*shrug*

speech is not gonna be compared to reagan after challenger or bush after 9/11. 

oh, and the travel ban has a whole lotta leeway 'ccording to the dhs release.

edit:

so...

doesn't apply to trade goods...

Edited by Gromnir
ps

2 minutes ago, Enoch said:

beat us to the punch by seconds.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

4 hours ago, Gorgon said:

In my neck of the woods they just closed all the schools and all the public sector workplaces. Working on emergency legislation to close down more. 

Soo.. interesting.

The Swedish Civili Contingencies Agency wants our Swedish Work Environment Authority(SWEA) to allow Skyddsmask 90 for police, ambulance and firefighters, but SWEA refuses because the mask isn't "CE" compliant since it was adopted before the european union. Monumentally retarded decision, they actually work for ****s sake.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

35 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

The Swedish Civili Contingencies Agency wants our Swedish Work Environment Authority(SWEA) to allow Skyddsmask 90 for police, ambulance and firefighters, but SWEA refuses because the mask isn't "CE" compliant since it was adopted before the european union. Monumentally retarded decision, they actually work for ****s sake.

This is a very controversial but relevant point, should any public service work be allowed  and or staff be exposed to the virus without the correct protective gear?

The Chinese didnt care and sent thousands of there public sector employees into provinces that had the virus....Im divided and ambiguous about this one. I do think certain public sector staff must still do there job even without protective gear, this virus has a low mortality rate and  certain processes and work still needs to be done . So  the general work that  security forces and health professionals do must continue 🤔

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Just think of it as natures attempt at correcting population numbers... happens to many species when there a case of over population, whether they be mammals, insects of birds.

/cynic

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

so...

trump's speech assertion 'bout medical costs resulting from coronavirus treatment being waived were also walked back more than a little.

The White House scrambles to clarify key details from Trump's speech announcing his coronavirus response

"What Trump said:

""Earlier this week, I met with the leaders of health insurance industry who have agreed to waive all co-payments for coronavirus treatments, extend insurance coverage to these treatments and to prevent surprise medical billing."

"Not long after his speech, however, a representative for insurance industry group America's Health Insurance Plans told Politico that major health insurers had only agreed to waive co-pays for coronavirus testing, not the far more costly coronavirus treatments."

trump still believes this coronavirus is a "horrible infection " and a "global pandemic," yes? not gonna discover via an hour of the wolf tweet that the scope o' the disease is a media and democrat hoax and that those with symptoms can go to work tomorrow?

edit: 

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

Just think of it as natures attempt at correcting population numbers... happens to many species when there a case of over population, whether they be mammals, insects of birds.

/cynic

am knowing it sounds alarmist, but what if coronavirus does become seasonal in same sense as does flu? chinese has identified multiple strains o' the current coronavirus, so what if, like flu, this coronavirus becomes sufficient widespread and is malleable enough to become perpetual?  even w/o other contributing factors, such a possibility would affect world population.

make hypothetical more nightmarish. so, every year have not only flu but a seasonal coronavirus season which is ten to twenty times more lethal? and what if this is a new norm o' globalism and every decade or so we get a new virus in addition to old? fifty years from now we got flu and coronavirus 19 and W, X, Y and Z viruses as well, each somewhere 'tween flu and sars lethal? and perhaps every century or so have contributing climate or environmental factors which vast amplify lethality as wartime conditions magnified lethality o' spanish flu, but instead o' just flu you got near a dozen similar diseases all being amplified.

/cynic

HA! Good Fun!

ps the tng episode skazz mentions were indeed a thing involving genetic engineered superchildren. used transporter magic to de-age pulaski at end of the episode.

• Like 2

File this under "BS Receptivity" (told you I was stealing that) https://www.defenseone.com/technology/2020/03/iran-and-russian-media-push-bioweapon-conspiracies-amid-covid19-outbreak/163669/

If COVID-19 is an escaped bio-weapon it is an extremely low grade one. I'm no expert on that kind of thing but I expect a bio-weapon will be more like the hemorrhagic fever they talked about on The Americans. 

• Like 2

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Basmati rice is like $80 for ten pounds here now. I might as well already be dead.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The goverment just banned every event that would have attendance of over 500 people in Finland until the end of May. I guess I won't be seeing Green Day play. Most likely the festival with multiple bands (that rarely come here to play) will be cancelled as well. I guess I can wait an another decade for those bands to come back here.

They messed up initially. We had few flights coming DAILY from northern Italy, where the infection was wreaking havoc, but there was no control checks on the people who came from those areas. Some of those people then went to work, infected others, or even worse when they already were showing symptoms their family members (living under the same roof) were allowed to work and go to school which has caused most of the damage so far.

I don't know why they simply didn't just ship everyone coming from risky areas into a secluded place for a while or make sure that the family members in households with infection/or possible infection won't go and spread the disease around.

Then again I don't understand how people are so damn selfish when it comes to traveling. There's a contagious new disease running around the world and you just haveeeeeeeeeee to go on your trip. If people didn't insist on traveling as much as they did, there wouldn't be a problem right now or at least it wouldn't be as big of a deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hate the living, love the dead.

I'm honestly quite curious how much of an effect the reduced travelling will have on CO2 emissions and similar...

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

It must be hard to live in a permanent state of hysterics. THATS the real killer. :yes:

I cook and eat rice almost every day! No more rice means no more Bartimaeus, :aiee:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.