Patch 1.3 Coming Soon!

Greetings employees of Halcyon,

We have been hard at work developing fixes and implementing features you all have shared with us, and we are excited to share that we plan to release Patch 1.3 later this week for all platforms. A lot is going in with this patch, but we wanted to share with you a few of the exciting changes you can expect to see when this patch goes live:

Top Community Requests:
UI Changes

• Font Scaling (added a setting to adjust the size of text throughout most UI)
  • Ultrawide Support (loading screens & cinematics)
  • Improved Font Visibility (coloring)
  • Multi Quest Map Tracking (can see inactive quests on the map and select them)
  • New Reticle HUD Setting Option "Aiming Only" (ADS or Scoped)
  • Fixed the Chromatic Aberration Setting not Saving

Gameplay Changes

• New Invert "X-Axis" Setting
  • Added Toggle for Sprinting
  • Improved the quality of item drops when killing Manti-Queens
  • Fixed the effects of Encumbrance not working correctly with the Confidence Perk

We want to thank you all for the continued feedback and patience while we continue to work to improve your gaming experience.

To continue to report issues you come across and to share suggestions for the game, please visit the Technical Support forums for The Outer Worlds and search to see if a fellow player has already made a thread about it to help reduce duplicate threads. If you find a thread that matches your issue or suggestion, then please feel free to leave a comment and include any details you would like to share.

If you are not able to find a similar thread, then please share it with us on our forums and then visit our publishing partner, Private Division, and share this issue with them through their support website. This will help ensure that your specific issue or suggestion is in their queue and will allow us to prioritize requests to provide the fastest possible turnaround time.

Thank you all again, spacers. You are a fantastic community, and we are so excited to have you here with us helping to share your feedback, suggestions, and reports.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Hmmm 1

• Shyla pinned this topic
On 3/4/2020 at 2:18 PM, Shyla said:
  • Font Scaling (added a setting to adjust the size of text throughout most UI)
  • Ultrawide Support (loading screens & cinematics)
  • Improved Font Visibility (coloring)
  • Multi Quest Map Tracking (can see inactive quests on the map and select them)

Excellent news, especially these. Also, not going to complain about improved drops when killing Manti-Queens 👍

11 hours ago, Samaritan said:

While it's really great to hear about ultrawide support being added for cutscenes, gameplay is where the lack of ultrawide support is mostly felt. Is that something we can still hope to see in a future patch? 

Second this, that patch note had me excited but now it has me worried that this is all that is coming.

Currently the game is cutting off the top and bottom of a 16:9 render to crop down to 21:9 (or whatever other ultrawide ratio you are using). It's like playing by peering through a short gap.

One of my biggest pet peeves is the painfully obvious texture streaming issue during dialogue whenever the camera switches to a companion. It happens always unless you select the 'Ultra' texture setting (which is too much for mid-range GPUs to handle during normal gameplay).

Edited by Insolentius

Hello everyone! I just wanted to share two things!

First, we had to postpone the release of Patch 1.3 to next week. I do apologize for this, but we are working to get it out as quickly as possible.

Second, I want to make sure that you understand that the Ultrawide Support will be for loading screens & cinematics at this time. We are still working to try to improve our Ultrawide Support across all areas of the game, and hopefully we will be able to complete this soon. We have been making progress on this and are working to find a solution that works that we can implement. I understand the frustration this has been causing some of you, and we apologize for this. But we are working on it.

Thank you all for your patience and understanding at this time!

• Like 2

I just wanted to say thanks for the efforts done to communicate the state of things and work on solving the issues with The Outer Worlds, Shyla, it's appreciated. I don't have an ultrawide monitor, so admittedly it's far easier for me to wait for a fix than for someone who does, but I'm glad to hear the issue is being worked on and hopefully they'll soon get to enjoy the experience as it was intended. Also, I'm hopeful that now that Obsidian is under Microsoft, this feedback will be at the forefront of future projects, just like accessibility in general.

"Multi Quest Map Tracking (can see inactive quests on the map and select them)" <===That was a must from the beginning, too bad I finished the game 2 months ago. It should be there by default in ANY RPG game created, period. I mean it's the kind of game where you are usually getting swamped with quests (a not-if-but-when situation) and without it, you lose just so much time realizing that you were beside a side quest without knowing it.

Well, better late than never! You now know what to do for Outer Worlds 2 lol

Is there any chance for a balance patch/adjusting? Is it even considered?

Such issue could be resolved by mods, but since you didn't provide a mod support, we can't count on it.

I just stopped playing after like 6-8h when on supernova I was one-two hitting everything with plasma rifle.

Not to mention that I was basically swimming in ammo (1000 each type), which is kind of a joke. 

It seems that the game was hardly tested in terms of actual gameplay/difficulty.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, fxluk said:

Is there any chance for a balance patch/adjusting? Is it even considered?

Such issue could be resolved by mods, but since you didn't provide a mod support, we can't count on it.

I just stopped playing after like 6-8h when on supernova I was one-two hitting everything with plasma rifle.

Not to mention that I was basically swimming in ammo (1000 each type), which is kind of a joke. 

It seems that the game was hardly tested in terms of actual gameplay/difficulty.

Yeah, I agree. I'm just about to head to Byzantium for the first time, and I have around 5k light ammo, 4k heavy ammo, 3.5k energy cells (with nearly 200 adrenos). This is completely absurd since I never bought any ammo/meds (and I'm using weapons with high RoF). Let's not even mention that slapping a 'melt' mag onto a weapon makes it godly against every single enemy in the game.

The only way for this game to be challenging right now is to ignore loot, avoid modding/tinkering items, and not use companions.

In Fallout 3, NV and Fallout 4, I used or made mods that rendered resources more scarce and made enemies tougher, but that's not an option here. I don't know if anyone from Obsidian is reading this, but the game needs to:

• drastically reduce the amount of meds/consumables found in the world
  • significantly reduce the amount of ammo in the world and ammo boxes
  • make your companions use ammo
  • make your companions' gear degrade
  • introduce some form of level scaling (with min and max level caps for different zones)
  • tone down the sources of extra damage (crits, weak-point dmg, elemental dmg, science bonus to elemental weapons, perks etc. make the flat damage reduction system in this game practically pointless)
  • tone down the power level of tier 2 weapons (because the enemies' HP and armor values fail to keep up - again leading to the same problem with the flat damage reduction system)
  • introduce skill and/or level requirements for weapons (give us an actual reason to specialize) - right now, characters with minimal strength and zero points invested in the 'ranged' skill tree are still death machines with high-level heavy weapons

Make these an optional difficulty setting that caters to players who like to explore, do side quests and loot everything.

• Shyla unpinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/7/2020 at 2:41 AM, Shyla said:

We are still working to try to improve our Ultrawide Support across all areas of the game, and hopefully we will be able to complete this soon. 

I recently started this game, and my first impression using multi-monitor resolution of 4360x1440 with FoV = 120 was okay. Borderless window mode seems to work pretty well.

But later on, I noticed some problems:

• a planet changing color when in peripheral vision;
  • weapons and hands look bulky;
  • some menus (crafting, IIRC) having some content duplicated or too far on the sides.

So I decided to postpone this game and hope for better ultrawide / multi-monitor support.

@Shyla - is your current work targetting 21:9 / 24:10 specifically, or can I hope to get better non-standard wider aspect ratio support, too?