R@nd0m V1d30 G@m3 N3w5

Amentep

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Wow... that clock speed on the GPU. O.o

The SSD speed is crazy too. Much faster than the Xbox SSD or even anything on the market supposedly. And you'll be able to use (PS5 certified) m.2 drives instead of Microsoft's proprietary format. I really like the low latency emphasis with the Xbox though. I think that should be something the PS5 can imitate but we'll see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jozape said:

The SSD speed is crazy too. Much faster than the Xbox SSD or even anything on the market supposedly. And you'll be able to use (PS5 certified) m.2 drives instead of Microsoft's proprietary format. I really like the low latency emphasis with the Xbox though. I think that should be something the PS5 can imitate but we'll see.

NVMe is kinda overkill though.  SATA SSD-types are more than sufficient on current gaming loads.  Were I a console user, I would probably go with the XxXbawks for smooth 60fps with slightly better visuals.  Both rigs seem fine though and console gamers should be happy -they are notoriously not hard to please!-.

Edited by ComradeMaster

I was pretty surprised going from m2 SATA to m2 NVMe at the difference it made to loading times. They seem to be very keen on 'instant resume' and the like, so a lot of throughput will help with that.

5 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Wow... that clock speed on the GPU. O.o

I would be surprised if it maintains the 2.2GHz though, same way as a discrete graphics card won't permanently maintain its boost clocks. I'd suspect that the rumoured 9 ish TFLOPs- so a bit under 2 GHz clock- is what you'd get for routine operation.

• Like 1

I think this generation is largely going to come down to exclusive software. What would be interesting is if PS5 wins out initially with the better price, and a stronger library of BC PS4 games. I doubt the discrepancy in hardware will be significant early on, and they might be able to move forward with a Pro model sooner than Microsoft if fidelity becomes an issue down the road.

Still perception is everything, and having the best specs does a lot for consumers who want to feel right in their purchase. The cache hierarchy on the PS5 might do more to close the gap than most consumers realize, with that insane SSD transfer rate acting as an extension to main memory. Some up-scaling hi-jinks might also close the distance left by the noticeably weaker GPU.

Exclusives are becoming rarer and rarer so I don't believe that will change much.  It's all boiled to either brand loyalty or I-Don't-Care-I-Just-Wanna-Game in modern console world.

The battle of exclusives is currently raging in PC  world, with Epic Games Store ruthlessly disrupting Steam's model, as Sweeney is clearly playing to win here.

3 minutes ago, injurai said:

Then why is Microsoft investing in a portfolio of exclusive studios.

https://www.inverse.com/gaming/xbox-series-x-launch-titles-halo-infinite-cyberpunk-2077-gears-5

Not a very impressive list of launch titles so they've already lost the first impression element, which is crucial.

Fortnite, on the other hand, is one of the most played games around so EGS was off to a great start, despite Metro: Exodus not doing well in the West (Gommie Russians).

Most of those titles are 3rd party, and launching on current gen as well. Hellblade 2 I would be surprised if it's out this year as Bleeding Edge is the next Ninja Theory title, and it looks like that is out next week.

My point was PS5 will have the better launch titles, plus all the best PS4 exclusives.

https://latinamericanpost.com/28492-the-gaming-consoles-war-who-won-in-this-generation

*Gulp* I stand corrected....again.  Playstation utterly demolished SexBoks this current gen...due to exclusives.  I was under the impression that they were sort of neck-and-neck (I don't regularly keep tabs on consoles) and Sony will probably win again next gen because all these studios Microsoft are acquiring aren't gonna tremendously tip their scales.

Edited by ComradeMaster

I think the UK also has high Xbox sales, which surprised me when I first heard the number.

There is an entire demographic that mostly just plays Madden, Fifa, GTA, Halo, COD, and Gears.. That's the core Xbox crowd...

34 minutes ago, injurai said:

There is an entire demographic that mostly just plays Madden, Fifa, GTA, Halo, COD, and Gears.. That's the core Xbox crowd...

Yes as an Amerikkan, this is the only type of console gamer I have an impression of, so let's call it the Redneck TrashBox.

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

It's like Irn-Bru but tastes better.

Well, if the bar is set as low as Irn-Bru, not sure that means much of anythin

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

2 hours ago, Skazz said:

...I don't get it :(

It's a fizzy drink in Scotland. Unless you are Scottish, you won't be able to force yourself to drink a whole can. It tastes yuck.

• Thanks 2
  • Hmmm 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-doom-eternal-tech-review

Hmmm, I like the tech aspect, too bad I couldn't be bothered to play Doom Eternal.  Competitors take note!

EDIT:

fps

Doom Eternal is one of the few triple-A PC titles to deliver consistent enough performance to full exploit ultra high refresh rate monitors.

Edited by ComradeMaster
  • Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 5:37 PM, injurai said:

What's a home bruh? Is that like up dog?

When something is aimed at the 'majority' instead of the actual gamers. Sony should have made the backwards compatibility work flawlessly, instead they have simply tested the 100 most played games on the PS4 and pretty much no talks about PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility. Xbox Series X on the other hand plays most 360/OG Xbox games like candy. 

There used to be a signature here, a really cool one...and now it's gone.  

5 hours ago, Katphood said:

When something is aimed at the 'majority' instead of the actual gamers. Sony should have made the backwards compatibility work flawlessly, instead they have simply tested the 100 most played games on the PS4 and pretty much no talks about PS1/2/3 backwards compatibility. Xbox Series X on the other hand plays most 360/OG Xbox games like candy. 

We got this.

https://emubrowser.com/

Also Gabe seems to be seeing the light:

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-20-gabe-newell-competition-in-game-stores-is-awesome-but-ugly-in-the-short-term

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Katphood said:

Sony now claims that the overwhelming majority of its PS4 library will work on the PS5, and the top 100 was just a snapshot or whatever into what would work in boost mode according to their testing over some hundreds of games (which seems to be less testing than Microsoft still which claimed to have done more than 100,000 hours of testing recently). They also have PS4 and PS4 Pro legacy modes, maybe those will require less work.

• Like 1