R@nd0m V1d30 G@m3 N3w5

Amentep

Oh...yeah, that is incorrect. The c doesn't mean classic.  :p

Just kidding, but I don't even see the term crpg used regularly, so i guess it can mean that. There are great console rpg's these days.

Edited by Hurlshot

And I always thought it means Chav RPGs... 😮 

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

52 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

Oh...yeah, that is incorrect. The c doesn't mean classic.  :p

Just kidding, but I don't even see the term crpg used regularly, so i guess it can mean that. There are great console rpg's these days.

We use it in my friend circle because we also do PnP RPGs and sometimes you just want to quickly differentiate which one you're talking about.

To me, Classic RPG makes more sense than Computer RPG. You see, if I hear classic rocket-propelled grenade, I can assume you are talking about a German Panzerfaust, or perhaps the Soviet RPG-2. :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

outside is so nice, I want to go fishing, but hence we got that quarantine I am happy that tomorrow I get DLC for Stellaris, it should keep me occupied for few days

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Final Xbox Series X specs released...

CPU 8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.6 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU
GPU 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU
Die Size 360.45 mm2
Process 7nm Enhanced
Memory 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320b bus
Memory Bandwidth 10GB @ 560 GB/s, 6GB @ 336 GB/s
Internal Storage 1 TB Custom NVME SSD
I/O Throughput 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block)
Expandable Storage 1 TB Expansion Card (matches internal storage exactly)
External Storage USB 3.2 External HDD Support
Optical Drive 4K UHD Blu-Ray Drive

Which theoretically gives the performance of a nearish top line current gaming PC.

Practically... if it actually functions to those specs I wonder how on earth they're going to cool it. The closest desktop equivalent parts (3700x, 5700XT*) get to around 290W, or the equivalent of having three old incandescent bulbs inside a console case. Obviously console parts simply cannot be that hot, but the insistence is also that the sexbox won't have thermal throttling and those specs are (again theoretically) about what the desktop equivalents have in terms of frequency and the like. And what happens when its been sitting in a cabinet over summer or picked up a load of dust a year in. It will definitely need something pretty nifty cooling wise to stop RROD 2.0.

*which is a gen behind, but 30% extra CUs in the console chip is extremely likely to eat up efficiency gains going from RDNA 1 to 2.

• Thanks 3
  • Hmmm 2

I love how they brag about triple digit fps in multiplayer games, yet the funny part here is that most Ultra HD TV's are still 60 Hz, effectively nullifying the advantage and let's be honest: most console players are too dumb to think or notice such things.  Ignorance is bliss.

However yes, it's a huge step up from current gen consoles, the most significant aspect IMO being the jump to SSD drives and bringing fast loading times to consoles.  

Current AMD hardware (on paper) is perfect for consoles so I guess the jokes on us Intel/Nvidia guys because consoles have the lions share of the gaming market.

Unless Microsoft plans to take a pretty hefty loss on each console sold at the beginning, the xXx_BoX_xXx is going to be quite expensive. All the horsepower in the world won't matter if Sony massacres them in the exclusives department again. They have been snapping up studios left and right, so it seems they are trying to address that exact issue.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm glad the new consoles are coming in around 12 TF, those 9 TF rumors while I struggled to believe, also concerned me.

16 GB of RAM marks a drastic change in memory scaling thus far. It used to be exponential, now it's merely doubled. I guess being unified graphics RAM means we are getting more bang out of our memory, and perhaps with compression and the the limits of asset fidelity we are actually slowing our demands of memory. But it's something to note.

RROD 2.0? I thought that was more of a cheap soder issues and more thermal layout than anything else. Though maybe their smoke stack design is supposed to help move heat out faster.

If would be interesting if performance stability comes down to which consoles has the best constant cooling quotient, because I'd be surprised if the PS5 specs deviated by much from this. The only rumor I heard is the PS5 might have a generational leap in their SSD storage, but who knows. I think any NVMe will do the trick going forward.

The cheap solder only really mattered because the thermals/ cycling was so extreme though.

The trouble I have is how similar the specs are to the desktop equivalents and the level of cooling those desktop equivalents require. Yeah, MS will have some sort of bespoke solution and it will be mass manufactured to reduce costs, but there's a limit as to how small and efficient a 300W single chip cooling solution can be, and the heat has to go somewhere. Poor ventilation or dust accumulation is only going to make things worse. Fundamentally, one of the reasons why consumer chips have overheat protection is that it can and does happen and throttling (or at worst shutting down) protects from permanent damage; but supposedly this chip doesn't have throttling.

Desktops tend to have redundant cooling, which is coupled to each modular part, and don't often work in best concert. If modern towers can air-cool sufficiently, an efficiently packed console that doesn't have the problem of dead air traps will perform better where every second the entire internal air is replaced with cooler external air. Fan noise might be an issue, dust has always been an issue, I think these machines will do fine though.

17 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

outside is so nice, I want to go fishing, but hence we got that quarantine I am happy that tomorrow I get DLC for Stellaris, it should keep me occupied for few days

Wait, the quarantine just means stay away from people. You can still go outside.

9 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

The cheap solder only really mattered because the thermals/ cycling was so extreme though.

The trouble I have is how similar the specs are to the desktop equivalents and the level of cooling those desktop equivalents require. Yeah, MS will have some sort of bespoke solution and it will be mass manufactured to reduce costs, but there's a limit as to how small and efficient a 300W single chip cooling solution can be, and the heat has to go somewhere. Poor ventilation or dust accumulation is only going to make things worse. Fundamentally, one of the reasons why consumer chips have overheat protection is that it can and does happen and throttling (or at worst shutting down) protects from permanent damage; but supposedly this chip doesn't have throttling.

Well, AMD claims RDNA2 will have a 50% increase in perf/watt, so the clocks might actually be fairly conservative for what we know which would help with temperature alot.

• Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

Wait, the quarantine just means stay away from people. You can still go outside.

we have curfew 

• Sad 4

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Finally started playing Stellaris federations and..... it crash my computer in about 10 minutes in game xD

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

But people are everywhere. There's just too damn many of them!

On the bright side, since I've been told not to come in to work for the rest of the semester (while still being paid), I get to go play in my garden where there are only squirrels and birds and no damn humans. :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

Finally started playing Stellaris federations and..... it crash my computer in about 10 minutes in game xD

I guess the patch does as much for performance as 2.2 did then, despite promises to the contrary? Did you buy the DLC too?

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Seems they keep breaking things with Stellaris.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

38 minutes ago, 213374U said:

I guess the patch does as much for performance as 2.2 did then, despite promises to the contrary? Did you buy the DLC too?

yeah i got the DLC

Following the XXboxSe specs, Playstation 5 specs:

CPU: 8x Zen 2 Cores at 3.5GHz (variable frequency)

GPU: 10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz (variable frequency)

GPU Architecture: Custom RDNA 2

Memory/Interface: 16GB GDDR6/256-bit

Memory Bandwidth: 448GB/s

Internal Storage: Custom 825GB SSD

IO Throughput: 5.5GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9GB/s (Compressed)

Expandable Storage: NVMe SSD Slot

External Storage: USB HDD Support

Optical Drive: 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive

So slower on the CPU/ GPU front than the SeBoxXx by a bit (not as much as was rumoured; but they do note variable frequency), but the memory I/O is around twice as good like/ like.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Following the XXboxSe specs, Playstation 5 specs:

So slower on the CPU/ GPU front than the SeBoxXx by a bit (not as much as was rumoured; but they do note variable frequency), but the memory I/O is around twice as good like/ like.

Wow... that clock speed on the GPU. O.o

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

AMD should be happy that they got their hardware on BOTH major consoles.  I mean what the Hell else could they ask for market wise?  Sure Intel provides better clock speeds and Nvidia provides the best performance making them ideal for people who want to squeeze out as much frames as possible, but the market for that is relatively small.  Westerners currently remain happy playing fascist games like CoD and Battlefield on their big screens.