R@nd0m V1d30 G@m3 N3w5

Amentep

3 minutes ago, Oner said:

Also Cyberpunk is a cRPG too, just because it's first person doesn't change that.

disagree

• Confused 1

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Oh, now I get it. We are back to the old argument whether Super Mario is a RPG because you play the role of a plumber or a Sim because you perform the duties of a plumber.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

I'm not sure cRPG is used well as a genre these days. It's honestly an umbrella category, and genres it applies to can be stretched into other genres or varied as games get ported to other systems.

2077 has it's lineage in cXXX genres in general, namely the rpg and fps variant. More than anything it's an immersive sim ala Deus Ex, just open world as well.

Mass Effect started as a crpg, and I'd be hard pressed to say it totally deviated, but it deviated so much it perhaps wasn't in the end? But who's to say (nobody who played the later games has lived to tell that tale.)

2 hours ago, Oner said:

t's a roleplaying game, with mechanics to match. On a computer.
Hence, cRPG.

This is how I've always understood it; is it not so? That cRPG = computer role-playing game.

Honest question.

Edited by Skazz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Doesn't almost every game these days have some RPG mechanics? I bet even Cooking Mama has RPG mechanics.

Eh, Far Cry might have an upgrade/leveling system but nobody would call it an RPG outside of contrarians.
We can argue about the specifics of what makes a genre what it is, but at the end of the day you look at a racing game with 30 cars, 20 guns, a shallow incremental +5% speed/handling/acceleration advancement system, 2 endings and it's a racing game. Not an RPG, or an FPS, and certainly not a Puzzle-RTS.

• Like 3

The definition of cRPG is very tricky to coin as all usual criteria can be found in games that are not cRPG and some games that are cRPG don't fit those criteria. 

It's similarly hard to coin definition of fantasy literature. Therefore I use for cRPG the same definition as Sapkowski ( Witcher author) uses for fantasy.

Everything I point with my finger and call cRPG is cRPG.

166215__front.jpg

Ah good old days. I remember when someone argued Half-Life is an RPG, because you play the role of Gordon Freeman.

• Haha 3

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

7 hours ago, Oner said:

a shallow incremental +5% speed/handling/acceleration advancement system,

So then, AD&D 2nd edition wasn't an RPG? All you got for levelling up as a fighter was d10 hp and -1 THAC0, that's pretty shallow. On a serious note, I just think conventional genre names have become increasingly irrelevant as there's so much blurring of lines and crossover of mechanics. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Something something contrarians. See, taking a quarter of my post and a tiny fraction of a game's rules to illustrate a point is exactly why people arguing semantics to label a game this or that genre is silly. 😛
Also 1d10 hp ain't nothing to scoff at! At level 2, that can easily be an over 100% increase!

My whole point is that the old labels have become kind of meaningless these days because so many games have elements of so many different genres. For example, I'm currently playing Valkyria Chronicles 4. Is it a RPG? Is it a strategy game? Is it a tactics game? Is it top down? Is it third person? You could answer "yes" to any of the previous questions, depending on how conservative or liberal you are with your definitions. 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

17 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

disagree

17 hours ago, Oner said:

It's not a matter of opinion.
It's a roleplaying game, with mechanics to match. On a computer.
Hence, cRPG.

We don't know how the mechanics will work exactly, I'll know wether it's a FPSLARP or FPSRPG once I sit down and discover what's most important, my skills or the skills that the character in the game developed.

Heh, I'm getting flashbacks to Fallout 3's development boards... 😄

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

Ah good old days. I remember when someone argued Half-Life is an RPG, because you play the role of Gordon Freeman.

Yeah... definetly having flashbacks XD

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

38 minutes ago, Melusina said:

I wish someone made another NWN2 type of camera in crpgs. Why complicate things with isometric copy cat camera?

If there are several characters to control, it is easier to do so when you are able to see them all. Plus good-looking fully 3D environment requires more resources to develop.

Dragon Age had two camera mods exactly for that and both (IMO) were comfortable. But it also was a triple-A game (series), while isometric party-cRPGs are usually made by independent developers.

Edited by Hawke64

I'd say a focus on story is central to most games that fit in the RPG genre today. I mean, I argue MLB The Show is the best rpg I've ever played because you create a character and grind you way to the majors, and it is driven by stats, but that is tongue in cheek.

I also agree the genre definitions have a lot of subjectivity to them. For me, cRPG means classic RPG rather than computer RPG, as in old-school RPG using iso perspective, story-centered, party-based, single-player focused. [Side note: Yes the "C" started out as meaning computer, but I don't see that relevance anymore.]

The other side of the definition then being action RPG, aRPG.

With respect to the DA games specifically, then, again for me, DA:O was on the border between cRPG and aRPG. The second and third games are solidly in the aRPG box.

16 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Doesn't almost every game these days have some RPG mechanics? I bet even Cooking Mama has RPG mechanics.

Indeed, and that's a big source of my unhappiness these days. Far too many games that claim to be RPGs are in reality tactical combat games with a bit of RPG mechanics thrown in.

• Like 3