Hello

After a long break from PoE 1, i want to try something new. Solo + Potd.

I started a rogue, but i gave up at defiance bay, because to get anything done AoE wise, you need scrolls or fights take forever.

After that i choose Monk Anvil build, it was not that hard at the beginning and i am allready level 15. The only problem what i saw recently was at the sky dragon fight, because his single target damage seems not overwhelming. Maybe i did something wrong. I will eventually play further.

Then i started a Ranger with Stormcaller. God it was so awefull to get this bow with lvl 5. Pulling enemies, using rotfinger gloves, ring of searing flames and 3 different figurines. Now i am level 7 and the damage, if RS not triggers, is pretty lackluster. I m pretty sure, against the dragons, you need maelstrom / confusion scrolls to not get rushed by the mobs. So, am i wrong or will this class become really powerfull when i play further?

I allready played through the game as solo chanter, so not again. Paladin becomes only online at lvl13 and i don't want to put me through that again.

So, i can only think about wizard / cipher or priest to try out. I really need something, that can kill mobs pretty quick and is good against single target as well.

Suggestions?

You can make a rogue do AoE with spellbinding items. There are quite some items with good spellbinds and some of them come fairly early (but after you reach Defiance Bay). Since damaging spells work with Deathblows (+100% damage) and some of them even with Deep Wounds (all that do either pierce, crush or slash damage) you can build an effective AoE rogue. Solo is still kind of hard (or better: tedious) for a rogue though. I consider it one of the weakest solo classes (besides Fighter) if you don't want to use lot of splitting, kiting, stealth and invisibility (then it can be a lot of fun). Also spell holding (procs on catching a crit) and spell striking (procs on crit) and spell chance (has a x% chance to proc on hit/crit) can work well. Here Island Aumaua, Arms Bearer, Quick Switch and Deep Pockets makes some sense (to be able to burn through as many spellbinding items as quickly as possible during an encounter). By the way: Quick Switch + Coil of Resourcefulness allow 0-sec switching which can cancel recovery of spells if I am not mistaken. So theoretically you can cast, switch and cast again because recovery ofthe spell got omitted. At least it used to be so.

Unfortunately on of the coolest weapons for "casting" rogues - Acuan Giamas (Spell Steal) - comes so late and after the most challenging encounters are already over. If you have it you can steal spells from "proper" wizards, priests and druids (Ogre Druids for example or Xaurip Priests) and cast them unlimited times during a certain timespan. I considered to just give it to me via console early and just have fun with it but I didn't follow that thought.  

Priest is really fun as soon as you get to the higher levels. The early game is a lot tougher though. But as soon as you get stuff like Shining Beacon and Devotions things become a lot easier. Vessel fights are over very quickly when using Holy Radiance (with poerfect disposistions and high INT and MIG). Single targets are not a big problem with Cleansing Flame (if not burn immune). Generally burn immune enemies are a pain in the butt for a solo priest.

In the past I was able to prolong self buffs endlessly with Spelltongue - but I don't know it that's still possible. It helped a lot to be able to buff up like crazy (Inspiring+Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar + Champion's Boon + Devotions + Shields, consumables like potion of alacrity and so on) and then casting everything to pieces and poke the rest to death (switching to a better weapon like Drawn in Spring). You needed very high attack speed with Spelltongue though (included durganized Spelltongue and Little Savior, Gauntlets of Swift Action and so on). This also worked very well with a Wizard (self buffs + Draining Wall + Spelltongue and then cast CC and nukes) because of Alacrity (no potion needed) which lead to 0 recovery quickly.

Also a solo Barb was fine with Spelltongue - especially because Carnage helps with the draining of buff times. But it all stands or falls with the siphoning mechanic of Spelltongue. If it got nerfed too hard then maybe it's not worth it anymore.  

PS: what about solo cipher or druid?

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Boeroer said:

You can make a rogue do AoE with spellbinding items. There are quite some items with good spellbinds and some of them come fairly early (but after you reach Defiance Bay). Since damaging spells work with Deathblows (+100% damage) and some of them even with Deep Wounds (all that do either pierce, crush or slash damage) you can build an effective AoE rogue. Solo is still kind of hard (or better: tedious) for a rogue though. I consider it one of the weakest solo classes (besides Fighter) if you don't want to use lot of splitting, kiting, stealth and invisibility (then it can be a lot of fun). Also spell holding (procs on catching a crit) and spell striking (procs on crit) and spell chance (has a x% chance to proc on hit/crit) can work well. Here Island Aumaua, Arms Bearer, Quick Switch and Deep Pockets makes some sense (to be able to burn through as many spellbinding items as quickly as possible during an encounter). By the way: Quick Switch + Coil of Resourcefulness allow 0-sec switching which can cancel recovery of spells if I am not mistaken. So theoretically you can cast, switch and cast again because recovery ofthe spell got omitted. At least it used to be so.

Unfortunately on of the coolest weapons for "casting" rogues - Acuan Giamas (Spell Steal) - comes so late and after the most challenging encounters are already over. If you have it you can steal spells from "proper" wizards, priests and druids (Ogre Druids for example or Xaurip Priests) and cast them unlimited times during a certain timespan. I considered to just give it to me via console early and just have fun with it but I didn't follow that thought.  

Priest is really fun as soon as you get to the higher levels. The early game is a lot tougher though. But as soon as you get stuff like Shining Beacon and Devotions things become a lot easier. Vessel fights are over very quickly when using Holy Radiance (with poerfect disposistions and high INT and MIG). Single targets are not a big problem with Cleansing Flame (if not burn immune). Generally burn immune enemies are a pain in the butt for a solo priest.

In the past I was able to prolong self buffs endlessly with Spelltongue - but I don't know it that's still possible. It helped a lot to be able to buff up like crazy (Inspiring+Aggrandizing Radiance + Minor Avatar + Champion's Boon + Devotions + Shields, consumables like potion of alacrity and so on) and then casting everything to pieces and poke the rest to death (switching to a better weapon like Drawn in Spring). You needed very high attack speed with Spelltongue though (included durganized Spelltongue and Little Savior, Gauntlets of Swift Action and so on). This also worked very well with a Wizard (self buffs + Draining Wall + Spelltongue and then cast CC and nukes) because of Alacrity (no potion needed) which lead to 0 recovery quickly.

Also a solo Barb was fine with Spelltongue - especially because Carnage helps with the draining of buff times. But it all stands or falls with the siphoning mechanic of Spelltongue. If it got nerfed too hard then maybe it's not worth it anymore.  

PS: what about solo cipher or druid?

I started a wizard and so far, it's pretty ok in act 1. I never played a cipher, so i don't know how it would perform compared to the wizard? Druid is pretty strong with plague of insects and storm, but how is the early game with him until he gets those spells? And the most important thing about everything is, that i should be able to do all bounties and dragon fights.

Cipher has a rel. easy early game because of Whisper of Treason. Some great powers like Amplified Wave can't be used because they require an ally. 

Druid's early game is ok because Spiritshift is pretty strong early on. Of course its time is limited. But it's good to bring down the tougher foes quickly - especially as Boar (wounding damage) or Cat (fast attacks). Boar can also stack its own regeneration with Veteran's Recovery which makes the early game easier.

I don't consider most dragon fights that difficult (at least once you took care of the annoyiong ads like Adragans and such) - but some of the later bounties are tough nuts indeed because of some insane defenses on PotD. Brynlod's rogues have stellar reflexes for example which makes it hard to land some CC or nukes on them etc. The thing which makes Priests easier late game than Wizard and Druid for me is the accuracy. Minor Avatar + Inspiring + Aggrandizing Radiance + Devotions means +40 accuracy. Whooha.

Druids don't have a great accuracy buff and you have to use consumables for that. Wizards are a bit better in that regard but not much. But it's doable. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

Cipher has a rel. easy early game because of Whisper of Treason. Some great powers like Amplified Wave can't be used because they require an ally. 

Druid's early game is ok because Spiritshift is pretty strong early on. Of course its time is limited. But it's good to bring down the tougher foes quickly - especially as Boar (wounding damage) or Cat (fast attacks). Boar can also stack its own regeneration with Veteran's Recovery which makes the early game easier.

I don't consider most dragon fights that difficult (at least once you took care of the annoyiong ads like Adragans and such) - but some of the later bounties are tough nuts indeed because of some insane defenses on PotD. Brynlod's rogues have stellar reflexes for example which makes it hard to land some CC or nukes on them etc. The thing which makes Priests easier late game than Wizard and Druid for me is the accuracy. Minor Avatar + Inspiring + Aggrandizing Radiance + Devotions means +40 accuracy. Whooha.

Druids don't have a great accuracy buff and you have to use consumables for that. Wizards are a bit better in that regard but not much. But it's doable. 

So Gaze of the Adragan is AoE or and it is saved by fortitude. Does it only rarely work at those high level bounties?

They have high defenses in general. Some have esp. high reflex (rogues and such - I guess some of them also have Adept Evasion which would make grazing them with a reflex CC spell extremely unlikely), some have high fortitude (fighters, barbs...). You have to pick the right spell and have rel. high ACC to reliably graze or even hit. 

• Thanks 1

No. Kalakoth's Minor Blights IS a summoned wand (technically - doesn't look like it but it is). It replaces your actual weapon for the duration of the summoning. Here are the stats of KMB:  https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Kalakoth's_Minor_Blight

Note the +20 ACC. It also works with Dangerous Implement (the talent).

• Thanks 1

Ok thanks, but wizard is pretty tedious tbh (at least before he gets the good spells). I started a barbarian and the canoneer belt with the fire shield // fire sword are pretty good. My question is, what's the best way to deal with those Adragans? With the anvil i had huge issues, because of that petrify and the lightning attacks.

The highest defenses. :)

You have to adapt your items to the encounter and wear stuff that boosts your defenses against such enemies. And use summons and if you can: mind control. 

Dragon fights become very easy if you can confuse/charm/dominate the dragon (and you can do that to all but one bog dragon).

For me that's the reason why I hold Munacra Arret, Ring of Changing Heart and Spirit Spiral in high esteem.

I find Wizard to be fairly good even in the early game due to Chillfog, early self buffs and Concelhaut's Parasitic Staff - which is kind of OP as an exceptional weapon with 25 base dmg and draining that early in the game. 

Barbarian with Firebrand is very cool in a party, but it's not that good against certain bosses and might struggle with late bounties. Although dual wielding Barbs with Ring of Searing Flames, optimized for max Heart of Fury damage are capable of wiping whole bounties with one use of HoF and some follow-up attacks (except Brynlod maybe).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Something like dual hammers or sabres or battle axes (depends on the enemy), yes.

Shatterstar + Godansthunyr is not bad. Wodewys + We-Toki maybe. Or dual Bittercut even (Helwax molded). 20% sharp damage + 20% from Spirit of Decay + dual dmg might be the highest one handed dmg you can get per attack roll.

I guess even Drawn in Spring + Unlabored Blade could be working due to the Firebug procs. Both work with "Flick of the Wrist" and have +5 ACC - that's +9 ACC and nothing to sneeze at while the wounding with high MIG is strong, too

• Thanks 1

I tried something with my wizard. It seems, if you buff up and use citzal's lance, it is better than using gods + we toki damage wise.

I tried it on the skydragon with

- Alacrity + Merciless Graze + Lance + Warpaint + Fear Scroll

I debuffed him with rymgr (weakend) + expose vurnerables + combusting wounds and used gaze of adragan on him. With Lance and max level i had 135 acc + 15 for resting bonus against beast.

I did the same with gods + we toki on exp., but on one side, it seems i hit slower as with the lance and deal less damage and prone / stun does rarely proc.

Did i miss something?

Spirit Lance is one of the best weapons in the game. Not only has it increased base damage (25 average) which is a huge plus, but it also comes superb (meaning the already high base damage gets a +45% boost alongside the ACC of +12) and on top of it all it also has the speed enchantment which is - along with wounding - the best dps enchantment there is. If you also take Savage Attack and Two Handed Style you can do serious damage while being super fast (with Alacrity). We Toki and stuff only prone/stun on crit. Their base dmg is way lower. And it's not easy to reliably crit a dragon when solo on PotD as a wizard. 

So yeah: a solo wizard who goes into melee should use his summoned weapons imo, mainly Spirit Lance (which is also a great mob killer).

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

The Bog Dragons are pretty hard with Ranger. I managed to kill the flying one and llengrath, but then this damn bog lurker hit me and i got stuck =( I had no problem with my rogue, because of shadowing beyond it was easy to seperate them. Maybe i try this cloak that provides me SB on crit and those bracers with immunity to paralyze (nasty archers).

Nay, that's your animal companion. The pet is stuff like Concelhaut's Skull. THey can't left behind and they don't die. So if they disturb the gloves you will never see the solitary buff I guess. 🤷‍♂️ 

You can of course unequip them. Although Concelhaut's Skull is very good and summons in general are very useful when soloing - don't know if that's worth it for the solitary buff. 

Afaik all those things (summons, pet and animal companion) cancel the effect of the gloves. Pet may have gotten fixed, but I doubt it. You could test without any pet and with leaving the animal companion far behind.

• Thanks 1

Maybe you have bookmarked that topic, where you can see, how much deflection, fortitude, reflex and will you need, to be "invincible" by certain hits. Maybe you can give me a link? And which status effects attack which defense stat?

Edited by baldurs_gate_2