Talking Hardball. The 2020 Baseball Thread

Guard Dog

The Toronto Blue Jays will play the 2020 season in Pittsburgh. Too many travel restrictions in Canada. Not that big of a deal really. Not like the folks in Toronto could have gone to the game anyway.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Yanks & Nats last night. I guess all the players knelt for the anthem and some folks are blowing a gasket about it. Hey, I must admit I'm a little sick of it too. No one likes have politics rammed down their throats 24x7. And that is what we have. It's a cancer that is affecting everything. But unlike real cancer the only cure is to ignore it. It WILL go away if everyone STFU about it. Hey I'm 1000% in favor of athletes being politically active and advocating for causes they care about, whatever they are. But not in the workplace. The rest of us don't do that either. 

We could also take the platform away by dispensing with the anthem before a sporting event. It's a weird little ritual we'd be well rid of and it would hasten the end of the toxic combination of sports & politics.

Just my $.02  

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I'd ditch the anthem - iirc its a post war bit of 'patriotism' that just kept going.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Didn't think I'd like runners starting at second base for extra innings. That said, walk-off grand slams are fun.

I like it now. Creates immediate tension.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Fish vs Phils today at noon (here anyway). I have a big jar of sun tea and a firm appointment with my radio. It's a great day to relax on the porch and catch the game.

Thomas Sowell

23 hours ago, Leferd said:

Didn't think I'd like runners starting at second base for extra innings. That said, walk-off grand slams are fun.

I like it now. Creates immediate tension.

Still not crazy about it. But heck I still haven't accepted the DH yet either so it's just me

Thomas Sowell

Well, baseball lasted a week before it went to hell. I'm sure football will be fine.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Well, baseball lasted a week before it went to hell. I'm sure football will be fine.

baseball rejected serious social distancing guidelines. the only way this were/is gonna work was if teams and staff were functional isolated for the duration o' the season.

football rosters is much larger and it is a contact sport. if you can't see potential nfl problems, is 'cause you are purposeful looking away from reality.

the only thing football has going for it is baseball. nfl will able to see the reality o' baseball and tailor their protocols based on what worked and failed for mlb, but the nfl is running outta time 'cause such measures not only need time to be implemented league wide, but you are gonna need the nflpa, with its disturbing segment o' flat earthers and anti vaxxers, to agree to new protocols. 

hopeful a few o' these early hiccups result in baseball taking a moment to reflect 'pon and renew consideration o' more serious isolation protocols. am knowing players wanna be with their families (admitted, "families" for many players = strip clubs) and genuine isolation for months is a no-fun zone which will become tedious fast, but the alternative is no finish to the season. maybe 'cause Gromnir is old, a few months o' unpleasantness to be earning millions o' dollars doesn't sound like a particular difficult choice. crazy old man.

HA! Good Fun!

ps this is the year the nfl starts playing games in vegas?

1b069223247890a8414c344fd7d0a80b.gif

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

1 minute ago, Gromnir said:

baseball rejected serious social distancing guidelines. the only way this were/is gonna work was if teams and staff were functional isolated for the duration o' the season.

football rosters is much larger and it is a contact sport. if you can't see potential nfl problems, is 'cause you are purposeful looking away from reality.

the only thing football has going for it is baseball. nfl will able to see the reality o' baseball and tailor their protocols based on what worked and failed for mlb, but the nfl is running outta time 'cause such measures not only need time to be implemented league wide, but you are gonna need the nflpa, with its disturbing segment o' flat earthers and anti vaxxers, to agree to new protocols. 

hopeful a few o' these early hiccups result in baseball taking a moment to reflect 'pon and renew consideration o' more serious isolation protocols. am knowing players wanna be with their families (admitted, "families" for many players = strip clubs) and genuine isolation for months is a no-fun zone which will become tedious fast, but the alternative is no finish to the season. maybe 'cause Gromnir is old, a few months o' unpleasantness to be earning millions o' dollars doesn't sound like a particular difficult choice. crazy old man.

HA! Good Fun!

I will be surprised, with serious potential for horrified, if the NFL plays past a couple of weeks. The NFL has...one advantage that I can think of compared to the other leagues, and that is that games only happen once a week, which may help identify a team that is infected before it can spread to other teams. Besides that, it has everything that I can think of going against it, including giant roster sizes, constant medical/conditioning staff interaction, full contact, sweating, spitting, yelling, screaming, plenty of stupid players ljust ike the other leagues that will refuse to take it seriously and/or openly peddle anti-information, plenty of old, overweight, ultra-stressed, and don't-get-enough-sleep coaches, shortsighted owners who did not care and did not plan on how to make the season work when they had months to do so, etc. It should be a disaster.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

After a tremendous start, taking 2 of 3 from the Phillies in Philadelphia and coming back each time to do it the fish have been beached. 14 players have COVID-19. This SUCKS. Last night's game was cancelled. Ugh

Thomas Sowell

Yeah, I've already accepted sports ain't happening the U.S. this year. Maybe basketball might make it with their attempt at a bubble, but it only takes one...

7 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

After a tremendous start, taking 2 of 3 from the Phillies in Philadelphia and coming back each time to do it the fish have been beached. 14 players have COVID-19. This SUCKS. Last night's game was cancelled. Ugh

terrible part is how the marlins, as a team, decided to move forward w/o taking additional precautions after realizing one pitcher were infected... 'cause everyday is already a risk, or some similar bs. mattingly in particular deserves a very long and dirty swirly. 

baseball is a business and is not touching fundamental right issues. the mlb and nfl need to reconsider their approach, but am thinking given the length of the seasons for both, is no way the players agree to appropriate but draconian isolation protocols. all too often it is a mistake to treat intelligent adults like intelligent adults... and am not just talking 'bout players. owners and coaches is being idjits as well. mattingly.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Marlins have suspended their season. 18 players and staff have it now. What a dumpster fire. 

Thomas Sowell

16 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

The Marlins have suspended their season. 18 players and staff have it now. What a dumpster fire. 

am disappointed the mlb isn't pausing to reflect on the marlins situation and perhaps implement protocols which will prevent a repeat.

in another thread we joked 'bout the fork in the electrical outlet mentality, but what is baffling is how after getting shocked, the mlb has picked up their carbon scored flatware and is clear eyeing other electrical outlets.

am not a psychobabel guy, but almost makes one believe in the whole deathwish gobbledygook. why wouldn't the mlb take situation more serious given what happened with the marlins?

HA! Good Fun!

Joe Kelly receives 8 game suspension from throwing baseball near cheaters, longer than the cheaters received for cheating to win the World Series. Hmm.

I didn't know Yaz's grandson played for the Giants. He hit two dingers last night. Nice!

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I didn't know Yaz's grandson played for the Giants. He hit two dingers last night. Nice!

Yep. First real rally the Giants have had in a long while. Last year they had a nice hot streak, but it was almost all built on getting a small lead and holding it. Overcoming a 4-run deficit with a team that barely hits is a big deal. Yaz might just be for real.

• 2 weeks later...

117444778_3416659081756960_2990957034253

• Haha 1

Thomas Sowell

Anyone else having a hard time taking this season seriously? 

117445233_3409814402384139_3412473398957

Thomas Sowell

"Joe Kelly receives 8 game suspension from throwing baseball near cheaters, longer than the cheaters received for cheating to win the World Series. Hmm. "

How horrible. Someone assaulting others by throwing a painful ball at/near their head got a worse punishment than people who 'cheated' at a sport... :rollseyes:

He should be in prison for assault, intimidation, bullying, and murder threats.

• Haha 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

• 3 weeks later...

117924141_1574752166046466_9562388797518

• Like 1

Thomas Sowell

• 2 weeks later...

Lou Brock and Tom Seaver passed away this week. Two of the greats. 

• Sad 2

Thomas Sowell

• 1 month later...