213374U

Politics XXXIV (Politics never changes)

Agree. In Poland now we have unconstitutional bans and restrictions that can only be applied in a state of emergency. But the government refuses to implement state of emergency because they don't want to postpone presidential elections. Civil rights spokeman is filing complaints about this.

They also shoehorned a change to election laws in the so called "crisis shield" which is directly violating constitution. 

But you know what? Many people think this is just fine and dandy because we have an emergency. Missing the point that doing things by the book would take exactly the same amount of time. 

This will not lead to anything good in the long run.

• Like 2

Reagan.jpg 

Orwell.jpg

7 hours ago, Gromnir said:

decades hence, school children will look back at 2020 and lament how the government took civil liberties away from people in violation o' the Constitution. just like patriot act. just like korematsu. just like... etc. gotta break the cycle. gotta recognize it is The People demanding safety and security and offering freedom up on the pyre as a sacrifice. yeah, trump and others is gonna grab for power for self interest, but biggest threat is your neighbors and the guy in the mirror. 

HA! Good Fun!

If it makes you feel better, I just made a current events assignment for my 7th graders out of your post. We've already covered habeas corpus this year, so hopefully this will hit home for them.

Hardest part of writing the assignment was not making the stimulus package sound like a blatant payoff for our civil liberties. I mean, I don't mind them making the connection, but I don't want to make it for them.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Skarpen said:

Agree. In Poland now we have unconstitutional bans and restrictions that can only be applied in a state of emergency. But the government refuses to implement state of emergency because they don't want to postpone presidential elections. Civil rights spokeman is filing complaints about this.

It would also allow far greater restrictions in freedoms - how about some outright media censorship?
As for the essential civil rights - these won't save lives and you certainly can't eat them. 
I can't believe you are making me defend the Polish government. 

17 minutes ago, pmp10 said:

It would also allow far greater restrictions in freedoms - how about some outright media censorship?
As for the essential civil rights - these won't save lives and you certainly can't eat them. 
I can't believe you are making me defend the Polish government. 

I can't believe you defend Polish government that is directly putting lives in danger right now alongside violating the core of rule of law.

And yes, the essential civil rights DO save lives, always did and always will in the long run. That's why we have them.

Reagan.jpg 

Orwell.jpg

Like I've said before, most people are anti freedom. They only pretend to be pro freedom when it concerns their own freedom. It is all about power, control, and slavery. EVIL.

• Like 1

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Trumps daily dose of folksy senility is probably going over pretty well. I mean, if that was your only source you could forgive people for thinking the situation was being handled. 

Who wants to bet, despite all the potential for fundamental change, that things are more or less going back to normal in x amount of months with few lessons learned. 

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

Snopes - Trump did threaten tv stations over ad

In late March 2020, U.S. President Donald Trump’s reelection campaign threatened to sue television stations for defamation and warned that their broadcasting licenses could be revoked if they continued to air a campaign advertisement created by Priorities USA Action, a Democratic super PAC.

The ad showed a steep graph of growing coronavirus cases in the U.S., accompanied by audio of public statements made by Trump about the COVID-19 pandemic:

In the March 25 cease-and-desist letter sent to TV stations, Trump campaign attorney Alex Cannon wrote that the ad takes a remark made by Trump during a Feb. 28 Charleston, South Carolina, campaign rally out of context. 

During that event, Trump complained about harsh criticism leveled by Democratic legislators against his administration’s COVID-19 response. Accusing the Democrats of politicizing the pandemic, Trump compared their criticisms to his impeachment by the U.S. House of Representatives in 2019 (which he had consistently dismissed as a “hoax”), stating, “This is their new hoax.” Multiple mainstream news outlets then published articles reporting that Trump had referred to COVID-19 itself as a hoax.

We consulted Brendan Fischer, director of the Federal Reform Program at the Campaign Legal Center, a nonprofit organization that works to bolster voter access and reduce the influence of money in politics. Fischer told us that it’s not uncommon for such cease-and-desist letters to be sent out during campaign seasons, though they don’t often end in actual lawsuits.

“A defamation lawsuit is a pretty high bar and it’s pretty rare a campaign would actually succeed in holding a station liable for statements made in a political ad,” Fischer told us. However, “these letters can have a deterrent effect, in some cases a station will take an ad down just so they don’t have to deal with the possibility of litigation.”

What’s unusual in this case, though, is that Trump has threatened to revoke the broadcasting licenses of television stations whose coverage he doesn’t like. “I have to imagine that station owners have at least considered that fact and how to weigh it when considering this,” Fischer said.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."