Differences between side kick and companion?

Without giving spoilers as to the plot of the story and so forth what is the difference?  I am guessing there is more dialogue and story to the companions.  If that's the case then what is purpose of companion (edit what is purpose of side kick)?

Edited by claudius

Companions are more fleshed out than sidekicks. Sidekicks are something between a companion and a random hireling. They don't have as much interaction, but they still have some. Random inn hirelings have no personality, beyond default stance and voice theme, other than what you ascribe them in your head.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

important to note that whatever interactions sidekicks have are mostly self-contained to the DLCs (in fact, each DLC has a recommended sidekick). just calling this out because if you're expecting some interactivity, you'll get basically zero in the base game, but then all of a sudden one or two of your sidekicks will be real chatty in a DLC. (even mirke gets some reactivity)

• Like 1

Vatnir is a sidekick and he's pretty great in BoW. Fassina is nice in FS, too. Fassina and Konstanten can even have a romance. 

Sidekicks are like companions in PoE without quest (so it's mostly about banter). I don't get the hate. They are totally fine for what they cost and they are certainly more entertaining than hirelings.

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

6 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Frankly they do seem a waste of time and effort, except for Konstanten in SSS and Ydwin in BoW. Does Rekke get reactivity anywhere?

One properly fleshed-out companion would have been nicer than all of the sidekicks put together, in my view.

I have to disagree with this.  Sidekicks give the player some party building options, particularly if there's a companion or two that you don't like, or perhaps for whatever reason, you lose a companion.  I actually wish that there'd been more side kicks.   Side kicks can be seen as either prebuilt mercenaries who have some background and a small amount of conversation.  Or they can be seen as Companions Lite, as in lite on any personal questions or semi-regular deep conversations or whatever.

I wish that the DLCs had added something like a couple of Side kicks per DLC, and not in places within the DLC, but just placed around the game like the initial sidekicks.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Fassina is nice in FS, too. Fassina and Konstanten can even have a romance. 

Oh, that was news to me! To get that spark going, is it enough to just bring both along for FS, or are there more prerquisites to get the romance going?

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

@Boeroer: Not being impressed with the sidekicks does not equal hating them. If you were referring to other people making nasty comments about them, that's fine. My feelings towards them are lukewarm, there's certainly no hatred. (I wrote this comment partly because this hate and hater talk has become so common and so cheap, and it only brings the level of discussion down. Criticism does not imply hatred, and not liking something doesn't, either. The words inside these parentheses aren't particularly directed at you, they're just a clarifying cmment.)

Sorry, I meant the general feedback on sidekicks, not your single comment. And of course "hate" was hyperbolic. I don't actually think anybody really hates some virtual and optional buddies in a computer game. Well... I hope so at least... ;)

• Haha 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

19 hours ago, xzar_monty said:

Frankly they do seem a waste of time and effort, except for Konstanten in SSS and Ydwin in BoW. Does Rekke get reactivity anywhere?

Rekke gets minor but lore-wise surprisingly impactful reactivity in FS and a little bit elsewhere. (Stuff to do with Yehuza's involvement with the gods.)

You can also talk to him.

I think the coolest part of Rekke is that he starts off being utterly unable to communicate with you and he picks up more common (?) over the course of the game, even in base-game. I actually thought he was the most reactive/interesting companion before DLC.

Edited by thelee
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Crucis said:

I have to disagree with this.  Sidekicks give the player some party building options, particularly if there's a companion or two that you don't like, or perhaps for whatever reason, you lose a companion.  I actually wish that there'd been more side kicks.   Side kicks can be seen as either prebuilt mercenaries who have some background and a small amount of conversation.  Or they can be seen as Companions Lite, as in lite on any personal questions or semi-regular deep conversations or whatever.

I wish that the DLCs had added something like a couple of Side kicks per DLC, and not in places within the DLC, but just placed around the game like the initial sidekicks.  

yeah, I actually like sidekicks quite a bit. A party of hirelings is really dull - walking quietly around the map constantly. Even the minor extra reactivity and flavor a sidekick adds over a hireling livens things up.

• Like 1