Im on PS4 and quite a bit through the game, but I still don’t understand how grimoires work. I’ve learned some spells that said they were in a grimoire. I’ve aloth ‘s grimoire equipped and got a dozen others. Dothey give extra spells beyond learned ones or what? What grimoire should I equip?

They provide you the spells that are in them without learning.

The more grimoires you have in the trinket + quick slots the bigger your selection of spells you can cast. You just have to switch to the grimoire the spell is in.

With this mechanic you could pick only passive abilities at lvl-up as a wizard and still cast all sorts of spells from the grimoires.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

On 2/24/2020 at 6:09 PM, Gakkie said:

Cool! Too bad I learned all kinds of spells. And I have all scrolls in Aloths quickslots. Will put some grimoires in there!

You can reset, choose carefully which unique grimoire you want to use mostly, equip it, and then learn spells to complete it carefullly...

there is several Unique grimoire (with spells you will not found in any other grimoire) in the game, you will found them here :

Depending what you want to do, Ninagauth and Concelhaut grimoire are good choices in any case... i regret grimoire mechanic in Deadfire is not like in POE. In POE you could learn any spells a grimoire contain with some money, and then choose which spells to put in your grimoire...

Edited by fced
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

One of the best grimoires (if you are not a Bloodmage) is the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry. It gives you 3 spell uses per tier instead of 2 - which is a significat upgrade. However, it also interrupts you every time you receive damage from an attack roll (self damage and DoT ticks don't count). In order to circumvent that nasty drawback you need to pick up Rekvu's Fractured Casque and get an inury. One of the best ways to get a fairly insignificant injury is to cast Necrotic Lance on yourself until you go down (best done outside of combat). Then you'll have an Acute Rash injury which isn't too bad - and you are completely immue to interrupts (includes stuff like Slicken etc.). You can combine this with Rekvu's Scorched Cloak (makes you immune to all fire damage - it heals you as long as you have an injury) and Rekvu's Stained Grasps (immune to sickened, weakened & enfeebled while injured).

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

One of the best grimoires (if you are not a Bloodmage) is the Grimoire of Vaporous Wizardry. It gives you 3 spell uses per tier instead of 2 - which is a significat upgrade. However, it also interrupts you every time you receive damage from an attack roll (self damage and DoT ticks don't count). In order to circumvent that nasty drawback you need to pick up Rekvu's Fractured Casque and get an inury. One of the best ways to get a fairly insignificant injury is to cast Necrotic Lance on yourself until you go down (best done outside of combat). Then you'll have an Acute Rash injury which isn't too bad - and you are completely immue to interrupts (includes stuff like Slicken etc.). You can combine this with Rekvu's Scorched Cloak (makes you immune to all fire damage - it heals you as long as you have an injury) and Rekvu's Stained Grasps (immune to sickened, weakened & enfeebled while injured).

i wonder if there is a way to avoid those interruptions (except beeing very very far from the group and or not visible) ... i was interested also, but when i saw any damage interrupt you and most of the good spells take time to be launched, i took it but never used it...

Edited by fced

Pillars of Eternity PS4 - RPG fan - Native language French, so please forgive my poor English speaking ...

5 hours ago, fced said:

i wonder if there is a way to avoid those interruptions (except beeing very very far from the group and or not visible)[...]

Huh? But... I just told you the way...?

FlippantLimpAlaskanmalamute-size_restric

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Huh? But... I just told you the way...?

except killing myself before a fight i mean^
your tips is very interesting, i didn't realized it was possible to control which disease we get by dying, but i would have prefered something less radical.

Edited by fced

You are not dying. You are knocking yourself out. You are only dying if you receive 4 injuries.

You can also get injuries via traps (not your own of course) which doesn't require a knockout. For example in the Sandswept ruins there are flames shooting out of the ground. If you touch them you'll get a "Serious Burn". Also Sigils of Death will give you an injury when they pulse.

The kind of injury is determined by the kind of damage you receive with the last attack that knocks you out. If it is corrode damage (like with Necrotic Lance) you'll get an Acute Rash. If it's burn damage you'll get a Serious Burn and so on.

Casting Necrotic Lance on yourself is one of the most convenient ways to get an injury whenever you want - without much fuzz. You can also hit your wizard with weapons and only finish the knockout with corrode damage: that's even faster.

It's not very in-role behaviour obviously - unless you play a masochistic character or one with a death wish. 

Edited by Boeroer

Llengrath's martial masteries is the best if you're gonna multiclass into melee wizard and vaporous if you multiclass into another caster build. Instead of the cheesy immortal injury build you could just use the legit way through spirit shield, invisibility and summons. There are so many ways to get concentration and stats in this game that cheese shouldn't be needed. It's even easier if you play turn based mode which is likely what everyone does on Console.

Edited by KaInEvIL

i'm not sure it even counts as cheese if there literally is an item that lets you ignore interrupts with an injury. what possible use could it have had except to... let you ignore interrupts while injured?

• Like 1