I've decided its time to actually play Deadfire, a game I backed almost four years ago (a combination of a PhD needing writing up and being a little disappointed with Deadfire at release stopped me from playing straight away). Looking at various classes, I like the look of Monks, but as always I want to play the class as a cliched Shaolin style Monk. Before anyone starts giving me a history about the Knights Templar or whatever: I know there were militant religious orders who wore heavy armour and used weapons, but when I play a class with abilities like "The Dichotomous Soul" my mind doesn't go to European style knightly orders.

So the question: is a lightly armoured melee monk viable on PotD (with a party)? I don't mind wearing light armour like Gambeson or Leather (they're basically just thick clothes after all) but I don't really want to wear heavier armours. I know I could simply try it, but if it turns out to be unviable then I'll be restarting, since I really don't want to play an armoured monk, and therefore I'd prefer to know upfront.

I don't play him purely ranged though. The range of blunderbusses makes it nearly impossible to not get engaged on a regular basis. And Aloth's armor really isn't very good in terms of AR - but totally sufficient if you don't plan to tank all the time.

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Well, on my Transcendant I prefer.... Patinated Plate (does it still offer the most protection?). Was creamed too much otherwise, particularly in ship boarding actions and other heavily crowded battles. Granted, the monk subclass is Helwalker.

Edited by Haplok

Patinated Plate still has the highest potential persistent AR, yes. Also the rebound enchantments raises you survivability a lot. 

Monks can block melee attacks entirely and also have Rooting Pain. Besides that you could also pick Iron Wheel. So there are several things that can make up for a lack of AR from armor. 

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Negating attacks with Blade Turning happens only when you're not moving... and my char tends to be quite mobile, so it's not great - for me. Prefer the Burning Wheel. But Rooting Pain... yeah, I should try it, thank you Boeroer.

Edited by Haplok

2 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Blade Turning ending on movement is a Community Patch thing. In the original game you can move with it afair.

no, it was changed in 5.0 (or something close to it) to end on movement. it was to patch away an easy TB "i win" button since the micromanagement of "engage lots of foes, blade turning, run away" is a lot easier in TB

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 2