Hello,

I've noticed that I can't remap some keys on the right side of the keyboard. However, being left-handed, this is a really annoying issue to me, because I always have to remap the keys in a mirror configuration to WASD to be able to play comfortably, and that means I use the IJKL keys to move around. Not being able to do so in Outer Worlds is really a problem for me because I can't find a setup comfortable for my hands. 

Is there any workaround to this issue ? Or a mod that lets me remap all the keys ?

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I also hope they give us proper keybindings, but i found a temp workaround.

Open your gameusersettings.ini

location (for epic version) .....\AppData\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor\

scroll down a bit (you should see some entry's with addedactionkeybind and removedactionkeybinds....

Add the following 3 lines between the last "addedactionkeybind" and the first "removedactionkeybinds"

AddedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="Inventory",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=J)
AddedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="QuestLog",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=K)
AddedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="CharacterSummary",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=F)

now at the very end of each line there is "key= i, j or k" change these into those you want to use for the inventory, questlog and charactersummary

(function is noted at the beginning of each line)

Then

Add these 3 lines right after them.

RemovedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="Inventory",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=I)
RemovedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="QuestLog",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=J)
RemovedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="CharacterSummary",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=K)

(these lines stay as they are, and are used for disabling the original function the key had)

These 3 should be sufficient i j k.

(it's already buggy for binding key's, and then we got azerty-qwerty mess)

so starting with the most 'wanted' in your case.

NOTE:

Also if you go into options after these changes i don't know how it will reflect into your .ini file after applying , because even after keybinds are set, after

restarting my game they always show back like default in options, but if i don't change and start to play, they still are like i've set them.

So it's buggy for sure.

Just making this reply, i noticed in my ini for the moving keybinds, i changed Q into A for azerty), so that's left,

but in the ini it's bound to move right) ???

and in-game i have no issues.

so it's very weird and glitchy, so i don't know if you go in to options and change keybinds if it's gonna stick....

Hope this helps ,

if you need more help or if it' doesn't work,

don't hesitate to reply....  ;)

I just checked something, it's not gonna work after those steps mentioned in my first reply.

but they are also needed

I checked if you could rebind those 'hardcoded' key's after removing them in the ini

but no you cannot. (ingame)

so after the steps mentioned in my first post,

scroll to the  last "RemovedActionKeyBinds"

if there are any with axiskeybind remove them and

add these ,

(they are set according to your playsetup)

but like i said, it's buggy, you see, it's only right and forward it rebinds, but they are definitly for left and backward to.

so i copied mine and rebinded them , because i now wonder how the game if you copy these, how it will know which forward is really forward.??

Ah by looking at this reply before i posted it,

i now see it, scale -1.0.... = backward or left.

AddedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=1.000000,Key=i)
AddedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=-1.000000,Key=k)
AddedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=-1.000000,Key=j)
AddedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=1.000000,Key=l)
RemovedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=1.000000,Key=W)
RemovedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveForward",Scale=-1.000000,Key=S)
RemovedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=-1.000000,Key=A)
RemovedAxisKeyBinds=(AxisName="MoveRight",Scale=1.000000,Key=D)

If all goes well it should work!

If you need more help or you don't understand ,

feel free to reply.

Edited by Sebastony

• 7 months later...
On 11/1/2020 at 3:03 PM, Voikka said:

I know this is a bit late but you wouldn't happen to know what the action name is for opening the ledger, default keybind: Tab?

Hi,

I'm currently looking into it, because i can't remember how i got those keybindings in the first place... in the ini it only adds those you change in-game. but those hardcoded ones cannot be changed

in-game, so it needs to be set manually.. but i'm re-digging into the gamefiles and the epic mod-engine. But it's a bit of a spiderweb... it's been a long time since i even played the outer worlds.

(currently back into No Man's Sky Modding) :p  but i will post here if i find how to get the exact naming for the ledger... could be just plain 'ledger' but i'm not sure.

EDIT

Couple of minutes after i posted this, i found the unpacked game files. 😄

The naming should be "ToggleLedger"

Hope this helps you!

Edited by Sebastony

On 11/5/2020 at 6:45 PM, Sebastony said:

Hi,

I'm currently looking into it, because i can't remember how i got those keybindings in the first place... in the ini it only adds those you change in-game. but those hardcoded ones cannot be changed

in-game, so it needs to be set manually.. but i'm re-digging into the gamefiles and the epic mod-engine. But it's a bit of a spiderweb... it's been a long time since i even played the outer worlds.

(currently back into No Man's Sky Modding) :p  but i will post here if i find how to get the exact naming for the ledger... could be just plain 'ledger' but i'm not sure.

EDIT

Couple of minutes after i posted this, i found the unpacked game files. 😄

The naming should be "ToggleLedger"

Hope this helps you!

Yes! Thank you for answering an old thread. That was exactly what i wanted to know.

Though now i've encountered a weird problem. I tried unbinding Tab from opening ledger so i could use Tab to open inventory, but for some reason it still opens ledger on button release. i tried adding lines to unbind Released and PressAndRelease in addition to Pressed but it also didn't help. I had inventory bound to Tab and ledger to I and i quickly noticed Tab acting weird and currently should have no action bound to it. No idea what's up with that.

Edit: Actually it seems the ledger is bound on Tab button release in the first place while all the other inventory/character etc buttons work on button press.

PS:

Don't know if you know this info already. Just to throw it out there i found an answer to hold to sprint this week and already posted it on Outer worlds subreddit. Went deep on google and happened on a random japanese site in which there were four lines to add to GameUserSettings keybinds though only three of the four lines are needed.

AddedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="ToggleSprintStart",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_PressAndRelease,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=LeftShift)

RemovedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="ToggleSprintStart",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Pressed,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=LeftShift)
RemovedActionKeyBinds=(ActionName="ToggleSprintEnd",bShift=False,bCtrl=False,bAlt=False,bCmd=False,EventType=IE_Released,HoldTime=0.000000,bRespectTD=True,bCanRebind=True,bCanRebindEventType=True,Key=LeftShift)

Though this has a slight issue with Sprint being toggled on if you move holding shift and stop before releasing it. In such case when you move without pressing shift your character runs and when pressing shift character walks but it's easily solved by tapping shift while moving and then stopping.

There's no need to add a bind for ToggleSprintEnd. When it was added there were some issues also but i don't remember what they were specifically. I think one was that If you pressd shift before moving your character would just walk and i think it caused the same sprint toggle issue as mentioned previously. Anyway I concluded the issue caused by using just the three lines was easier to manage.

Edited by Voikka

• 3 years later...