Disney wants you! To make... another Star Wars game??

Seanthebombdotcom

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-02-13-disney-wants-developers-to-reimagine-its-ip-for-video-games

Disney recently announced that they are willing to license any of their IP to pretty much any game developer who asks for it. Sounds like the perfect time for Obsidian to make a new Star Wars RPG!

Its already been rumored that EA is making a new KOTOR game... so maybe a new era? What about an Outer Worlds-esque game based on The Mandalorian??

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

Sorry, I'm tired so I may have missed something. But where does it say they are willing to license the SW IP? Currently they have an exclusive licensing agreement with EA (exclusive being the operative word and probably the only reason EA gives two ****s about the IP), which means only EA gets to make SW games.

I'm also less than convinced by their supposed carefree attitude wrt licensing their IP when just this week it has surfaced that two Alien game deals fell through directly as a result of the FOX acquisition.

Much as I'd like Disney to take a page from Games Workshop's book, I just don't see it happening.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"At DICE 2020, Disney sent a clear message to game developers: Its wealth of IPs are now open for new game adaptations. The billion-dollar titan wants to leverage its massive franchise catalog to create interactive entertainment experiences with innovative and re-imagined characters and scenarios. Essentially Disney wants game devs to breathe new life into IPs like Aliens, Predator, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and a lot more."

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/70620/disney-offers-game-devs-free-reign-on-ips-for-new-innovative-projects/index.html

I'm aware that EA currently owns exclusive rights to Star Wars games, but that deal expires very soon. I'm not sure if there's any updates on its renewal, but this announcement is making that look unlikely. As for anymore previous events, I can't speak for those beyond the fact that those decisions were made before this policy. This announcement seems like a total 180 for Disney, which is why its such exciting news.

• 2 weeks later...

What if Obsidian continues their cancelled Aliens RPG? The game was said to be a horror version of Mass Effect.

Source: https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/04/16/obsidians-cancelled-aliens-rpg-was-aiming-to-be-a-horror-mass-effect

This isn't the only time Obsidian decided to continue one of their cancelled projects. They were once working on a RPG called Stormlands for Microsoft back in 2013. But in the end, Microsoft decided to pull the plug and Stormlands was cancelled.

Source: https://mspoweruser.com/stormlands-obsidians-cancelled-xbox-one-exclusive/

Obsidian then decided to develop a new game using Stormlands' scrapped assets and Paradox's funding, and they were able to create a fantastic little RPG called Tyranny. If they choose to follow the same pattern, I think Obsidian may be able to develop a fantastic Aliens RPG.

Edited by Sanjid099
  • Thanks 1

I'd love to see Obs' take on the Alien universe.

However, I doubt they will work with anything that isn't original IP or Microsoft-owned... such as Shadowrun.

The paragraph quoted above is a journalist's synthesis, btw. Not what Disney said. They did say they were happy with EA, and that was even before the success of Fallen Order.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

• 1 month later...
On 2/27/2020 at 1:13 PM, Hurlshot said:

I'm hoping for High Heat Baseball or RC Pro-Am.

Freelancer, BattleTech, and Shadowrun. But not in that order. And I can be convinced about RC Pro-Am.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 9:30 AM, StupidSeal said:

I don't trust EA or Disney to make a quality Star Wars Game, or any game for that matter. Too many question marks and micro transactions for me. Is it negative to say I don't think they will do KOTOR justice? 

Agreed 100%. Hard to think a worse combination of companies that I would trust to deliver a mature and compelling game, without blatant anti-gamer practices.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 12:30 AM, StupidSeal said:

I don't trust EA or Disney to make a quality Star Wars Game, or any game for that matter. Too many question marks and micro transactions for me. Is it negative to say I don't think they will do KOTOR justice? 

Also agree on this, especially seeing what Disney has done with the movies. The games have been hit or miss usually ruined by microtransactions (Battlefront2) but I haven't checked out Squadrons.

• Like 1

On 10/5/2020 at 3:55 PM, Tencatta said:

Also agree on this, especially seeing what Disney has done with the movies. The games have been hit or miss usually ruined by microtransactions (Battlefront2) but I haven't checked out Squadrons.

Yup, huge history of Micro transactions, not listening to fans (EA are very stubborn), ruining and not doing any good with franchises such as FIFA or Star Wars. They don't care about players. Only money. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...