I play on PS4 and I am new to pillars. I am playing the deadfire ultimate addition.

I like to start with a good Paladin (single class), a shieldbearer. A tank with a shield and mace.

I’ve  deducted that the attributes most beneficial to me would be;

might, constitution, resolve, intellect.

Am I correct, and what are the best numbers for those stats?

A few attribute points don't matter much in Deadfire, especially when not playing on highest difficulty. Pick what fits your pictures character. 

To give a suggestion:

MIG: 15

CON: 15

RES: 18

INT: 15

Something like that but as I said it doesn't matter much if you shift some points here and there. Note that you need Perception for finding secrets and traps. Nine None of the early official companions has high PER, so it's often a good idea to give your main character high PER - or hire a custom adventurer in the next inn whom you give high PER and maybe also mechanics (like a Rogue hireling or so).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

7 minutes ago, Boeroer said:

A few attribute points don't matter much in Deadfire, especially when not playing on highest difficulty. Pick what fits your pictures character. 

To give a suggestion:

MIG: 15

CON: 15

RES: 18

INT: 15

Something like that but as I said it doesn't matter much if you shift some points here and there. Note that you need Perception for finding secrets and traps. Nine of the early official companions has high PER, so it's often a good idea to give your main character high PER - or hire a custom adventurer in the next inn whom you give high PER and maybe also mechanics (like a Rogue hireling or so).

Thank you! What attributes don’t matter much? I started on classic. And have 15 con, 14 might, 17 resolve and int 11. Should I start over?

and do or don’t the early companions have high perception ? I was kinda hoping of having a companion within perception and mechanics...

1 hour ago, Gakkie said:

What attributes don’t matter much?

All of them. The impact of a few points here and there is negligible. Especially on classic. You don't have to meticulously min-max attributes in order to play an efficient character. As long as the attribute distribution is going in to the right direction you're good.

1 hour ago, Gakkie said:

And have 15 con, 14 might, 17 resolve and int 11. Should I start over?

Na, it's fine. Just use one or two items that give a bonus to INT (you can buy/find some) and you're set.

The early official companions all have mediocre PER. Mechanics you can decide yourself (you can deactivate companion auto-leveling in the game difficulty menu). Once you pick them up you can level their skill like mechnics yourself. But their attributes are set in stone. But as I said: just hire a mercenary in any tavern and give him high PER until you get an official companion with high PER (there are some). By the way: high PER (for detecting traps) and high mechanics (for disarming traps) don't have to be on the same character.

4 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Nine of the early official companions has high PER, so it's often a good idea to give your main character high PER

Nine? Nein! None!

• Haha 1

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

I wouldn't put more than 10con on any character and I'm very generous... 😁 Also if you don't plan using exhortations I wouldn't recommend more than 10int either (with auras/Brand Enemy/Flames of Devotion you don't need int). Personally I would recommend to start with 18mig/res and the rest at 10, but in the end stats don't matter very much and your character won't be ruined either way.

That's because Kaylon only looks at stats from a mechanical min-maxer and heavy metagaming perspective - since he mainly plays PotD solo.

Besides the feeling of most RPG players that the stats should somehow reflect your own picture of the character: Higher INT is beneficial for Lay on Hands, Eternal or Shared Flames and some other abilies like the aforementioned Exhortations. Higher CON not only raises your fortitude defense (which still is the most important after deflection imo and you can't assume new players know to raise it into great heights with abilities/items/consumables/etc.) but also can prevent getting gunned down during boarding fights right away. I would argue that a sturdy Shieldbearer with low CON might feel wrong to most players who play on classic and who don't put min-maxing on top of their priority list.

He asked what are the most beneficial stats... Constitution won't save you from gunners, defense and armor do. Instead of spreading stats between mig and con it's better to max might - same fortitude but more dmg and healing, as you level up you'll have more than enough hp. Shared Flames/Lay on Hands have very short duration and investing 5int just for 1-2 more sec isn't worth it.

Thanks for all insights. Currently level 4 and with a four man party. Things are getting better, I'm getting grip on things. So far levelling up did nit allow me to add attribute points, will it stay that way ?

I'm trying to figure things out myself and not use builds figured out by others. Like to pick things myself and also level up my companions myself. I pick skills and passives I think work well. We'll see how far I get :)

And I thought INT matters for the range of the auras ? 

2 hours ago, Gakkie said:

Thanks for all insights. Currently level 4 and with a four man party. Things are getting better, I'm getting grip on things. So far levelling up did nit allow me to add attribute points, will it stay that way ?

I'm trying to figure things out myself and not use builds figured out by others. Like to pick things myself and also level up my companions myself. I pick skills and passives I think work well. We'll see how far I get :)

And I thought INT matters for the range of the auras ? 

Leveling up doesn't give attribute points.

An important design goal for the game was to eliminate the risk of trap builds. You are supposed to choose attributes which you like and your build to be viable nevertheless. So you shouldn't worry. There aren't any critical attributes that you should max out or you are screwed.

Classes give different options that depend on different attributes, so that you would be able to find ways to play your character and be successful.

That is, unless you are playing on PotD, which you shouldn't do on your first playthrough anyway. And even then it is probably not fatal.

INT matters for the ranges and the durations. 10 INT gives you the default ranges and durations, more than 10 INT gives you percentage bonus increases.

Edited by wih

13 minutes ago, Gakkie said:

PotD, What is that? I am playing Pillars of Eternity Deadfire Ultimate Edition on PS4 Pro....

Path of the Damned, the highest* difficulty setting. (The scale goes Story-Relaxed-Classic-Veteran-PotD)

*though there are several extra options to further increase the difficulty, such as Ironman mode.

Edited by Noqn
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wih said:

Leveling up doesn't give attribute points.

I only have 10 perception on my main and two companions with 12. Don't know if i'll encounter one with high perception, how bad is that ?

10 minutes ago, Gakkie said:

I only have 10 perception on my main and two companions with 12. Don't know if i'll encounter one with high perception, how bad is that ?

You'll survive. There is a companion with higher perception than that.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Gakkie said:

It's not bad, you're just missing on some secret stashes but you can always revisit areas.

Later you find a companion with 17 per (if memory serves) that can cover all your needs.

I wouldn't worry too much about your per, especially if you play on normal/veteran. You're just going to hit/crit a bit less but that's not really a problem for a character using a mace. crit +%dmg is meh in this game, but +pen is good. A mace character usually won't need pen.

Game is very well balanced and lets you roleplay in Normal/Veteran without having to optimise your stats. From what you described and what you expect from your character, your stats are good and you will enjoy your play through ;)

One final word of advice (with a very minor spoiler if you want to stop reading). Relatively early in the game you will stumble upon a quest about a feud. Either resolve it peacefully or side with the Bardatto family. Your character will very much enjoy the reward ;)

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2020 at 6:56 PM, Myrtillo said:

One final word of advice (with a very minor spoiler if you want to stop reading). Relatively early in the game you will stumble upon a quest about a feud. Either resolve it peacefully or side with the Bardatto family. Your character will very much enjoy the reward ;)

I found those two families and got the quest. But it is 3 skulls, so I guess I will not be solving it anytime soon and get that reward 🙄

27 minutes ago, Gakkie said:

I found those two families and got the quest. But it is 3 skulls, so I guess I will not be solving it anytime soon and get that reward 🙄

Solving it peacefully doesn't involve any fighting, just diplomatic sense in dialogues.

Edit: Ninja'd by @Boeroer 😀

Edited by Myrtillo
  • Like 1