Build Thread 3.0

Amentep

13 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Windows had killed IDE support years ago. In fact, I'd be surprised if they hadn't.

That I honestly would be surprised about.

You using Windows 10 you still can't call a file con, aux, prn, lst and more.

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

(didn't really watch the video, altho I do love Tom Scott) Well, I don't know anything about technically having support in terms of file or backward compatibility aspects. I just meant the hardware connectors.

I still have HDD's and disc drives and even my 11+ year old Win7 rig has all SATA.  I haven't seen IDE cables in a long time but I'm not trying for backward compatibility.  Although I probably do still have a small box of 3.5 floppies full of unreadable text/doc type documents.  Not sure why, I have more modern copies of them. Nostalgia I suppose.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

He does sort of talk about those things in his video, not specifically about IDE, but there are companies out there that run old hardware and such, and will need that support. I know that the sorting machine that we have at work uses a parallel port since it was "modernized" before USB.

I know that the ECU for my fathers car uses a serial port and it's from around 2012. I have no idea why they thought it was a good idea, but they do. 🤔

Also; https://www.startech.com/en-se/cards-adapters/pex2ide

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 3 weeks later...

Welp, I didn't intend to get a new laptop until sometime next year, but those plans changed when my current lappy bit the dust a couple days ago. Wound up getting the ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition with a Ryzen 9 5900HX, 16 GB RAM, and Radeon 6800M graphics. It has a a 512 GB nvme SSD and 3 more slots, one easily accessible and 2 more hidden away. I put a 2 TB Sabrent Rocket in the easy to get to slot. I'm currently in the process of installing Fedora 34 Linux on it.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Welp, I didn't intend to get a new laptop until sometime next year, but those plans changed when my current lappy bit the dust a couple days ago. Wound up getting the ASUS ROG Strix G15 Advantage Edition with a Ryzen 9 5800HX, 16 GB RAM, and Radeon 6800M graphics. It has a a 512 GB nvme SSD and 3 more slots, one easily accessible and 2 more hidden away. I put a 2 TB Sabrent Rocket in the easy to get to slot. I'm currently in the process of installing Fedora 34 Linux on it.

The old one didn't last long... Did you find out what the issue was?

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

4 minutes ago, Sarex said:

The old one didn't last long... Did you find out what the issue was?

The GPU gave up the ghost. First artifact city then no output. Oh well.

Edit: Also, typo in my post. Processor is R9 5900HX, not 5800HX.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I had an Asus UM325 in my cart (importing from Newegg US), a fairly basic everyday laptop with a party trick of having a FHD OLED screen. But I backed out at the last minute because of one really questionable compromise, in that in their infinite wisdom, they squeezed the keyboard vertically: they chopped off 2mm off the keys and without trying it out I'm worried it might be a complete dealbreaker. Goddammit Asus, just make something with a normal form factor please.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

7 hours ago, Humanoid said:

I had an Asus UM325 in my cart (importing from Newegg US), a fairly basic everyday laptop with a party trick of having a FHD OLED screen. But I backed out at the last minute because of one really questionable compromise, in that in their infinite wisdom, they squeezed the keyboard vertically: they chopped off 2mm off the keys and without trying it out I'm worried it might be a complete dealbreaker. Goddammit Asus, just make something with a normal form factor please.

That is the same one I was looking at, didn't know about the keys though. On the picture they look normal.

15 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Yeah, my experiences with ASUS is that there's always one or two little things that make me sigh and say "God dammit ASUS you were so close to having a truly great product."

In the case of the Strix G15 Advantage I got there are 2 issues, luckily I can rectify 1 and bypass the other:

1) They used RAM with some downright dismal secondary timings. Ryzen CPUs are especially sensitive to RAM speed and timings.

2) They routed the Radeon 6800M through the iGPU in the Ryzen 5900HX, which costs some performance. Here's a video about it:

The RAM I can swap, I'll keep an eye out for a good deal. I mainly output to a monitor in my truck anyway, but my current monitor doesn't have USB-C, so I use HDMI. Unfortunately, unlike the USB-C, which goes directly to the 6800M, HDMI does still route through the iGPU. My monitor is ancient (close to 8 yrs) and I had every intention of replacing it anyway since it's starting to light bleed pretty bad along the bottom, especially the corners, plus I want to get a monitor that does 100+ MHz and has freesync. I'll just have to make sure the new monitor has USB-C, which is fairly standard for any decent brand these days.

Even with the issues the G15 was a great value and is a beastly performer. It will be that much better once I get the issues sorted. It looks great and actually has a touchpad that's not complete garbage. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Right now the lead candidates for the monitor I plan to replace the ancient one in my truck are the Gigabyte M32Q and M27Q. They're essentially the same monitor just different size. The current monitor in the truck is 27", but I could absolutely fit a 32" monitor.  Besides the difference in size both are 2560x1440p, 170Hz, Freesync Premium (not sure what the difference between Freesync and Freesync Premium is, my guess is nothing more than 7 letters), and have a USB-C input; they check all the boxes. 

I won't be home for a while so there's no hurry, plenty of time to shop around. I'd like to keep the cost <=$400.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Just be aware of the BGR sub-pixel layout of the M27Q which leads to some text clarity issues. A quick Google shows the 32" doesn't have the issue, nor does the G27Q (basically the M27Q but 144Hz instead of 165Hz).

• Thanks 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

I just ordered a new case and PSU, something that I had wanted to do for quite a while now. Azdeus' loan of his GPU, forced me to finally get something, as his Vega 64 is gargantuan.

My current case and PSU are over 10 years old. They have served me well, but it is time for them to rest a while and listen. Eventually I will use them for a cheapo build for my son.

Edit: I didn't even say what I ordered.

Seasonic CORE GC 650

Antec P101 Silent

The case, I am certain it will serve me well. The PSU, I dunno. I bought it because my current psu is not only old but has shortish cables. It had excellent performance, though.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Why not a modular PCU? In either case Seasonic makes the best PSU, key word makes. Wonder how much of a difference the sound deadening mats make.

6 hours ago, Humanoid said:

Just be aware of the BGR sub-pixel layout of the M27Q which leads to some text clarity issues. A quick Google shows the 32" doesn't have the issue, nor does the G27Q (basically the M27Q but 144Hz instead of 165Hz).

Thanks for the heads up on the BGR vs RGB issue. The G27Q is a no go because it lacks 1 key feature, a USB-C input. This is a deal-breaker. I mean, displayport to USB-C adapters are a thing, but an adapter is something I would use when reusing an existing monitor, if I'm buying new I'll just get a monitor that has the input I need.

1 hour ago, Pidesco said:

Seasonic CORE GC 650

Not familiar with that specific model, but Seasonic has for a long time been the gold standard in PSUs.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

23 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Not familiar with that specific model, but Seasonic has for a long time been the gold standard in PSUs.

I am aware, that is why I chose it, although the web isn't exactly rife with reviews for that specific model.

Heja Sverige!!

I love my new case. Clean, easy to assemble, quiet, solid. Even with the door open and the fans at full blast it is not that noisy.

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

32 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I love my new case. Clean, easy to assemble, quiet, solid. Even with the door open and the fans at full blast it is not that noisy.

Pics? :biggrin:

As per Azdeus' request I'd just like to point out that the Vega 64 Nitro+ he loaned me is huge and unwieldy and I kinda hate it. It covers everything and it is very impractical. The bastard. It runs Control at 55 FPS maxed, at 3440x1440. Horrible.

Pictures of a black, closed box incoming.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Heja Sverige!!

It's too much work to open the case so this will have to do. 

20210805_130539.jpg

20210805_130508.jpg

• Like 2

Heja Sverige!!

How's the airflow/temps when pushin' it?

I haven't checked yet.

Heja Sverige!!

Ah, I was curious how well it'd fare in a smaller chassis, mine is so oversized that the card looked normal in it.

21 hours ago, Pidesco said:

As per Azdeus' request I'd just like to point out that the Vega 64 Nitro+ he loaned me is huge and unwieldy and I kinda hate it. It covers everything and it is very impractical. The bastard. It runs Control at 55 FPS maxed, at 3440x1440. Horrible.

But it was so pretty! 😂

On 8/5/2021 at 3:56 PM, Azdeus said:

How's the airflow/temps when pushin' it?

So I ran a bit of DMC5 on the card.

Average FPS of 80, although the game was mostly at 100 once I disabled V-Sync. 18ms in the 95th percentile.

As for temps and airflow, and tested a bit with closed door, open door, fans on low and fans on high. Not much difference. Stable 70-72 degrees, with the gpu at 99% usage the whole time.

Of course, I usually play at 60 fps, so this is more than enough.

• Like 1

Heja Sverige!!

Some more benchmarking. Stable 60 in these games

20210810192605_1.jpg

2021_08_10_07_29_11.jpg

• Haha 2

Heja Sverige!!

This one is pretty stable too.

UW.png

• Haha 1
  • Hmmm 1

Heja Sverige!!