Build Thread 3.0

Amentep

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that build. As long as you are not going to do serious overclocking, that mobo will be perfectly fine, and you could even OC with it, just not push it really hard.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I don't see anything inherently wrong with that build. As long as you are not going to do serious overclocking, that mobo will be perfectly fine, and you could even OC with it, just not push it really hard.

I don’t plan on overclocking it really (from what I read it’s not terribly beneficial for RYZEN. What’s OC?

20 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Personally, I'd go with 3600mhz RAM for Ryzen, as Ryzen CPU's tend to prefer raw speed whilst Intel likes tight timings.

Thanks for the tip! I adjusted it.

Solid, balanced build. If you have some things to think about:

- The case doesn't have a USB-C port. If that would be something useful to you, look to (looking at other mesh type cases) the Corsair 4000D, Phanteks P500A, Fractal Design Meshify S2 (or the newer Meshify 2, but expensive), or be quiet! Pure Base 500DX.

- I think the Cooler Master 212 line, while long having been the budget king, is starting to show its age. Of other products in this price range, consider the Arctic Freezer 34 (cheapest), be quiet! Pure Rock 2 (quietest) or Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo (best performance).

- The Corsair RMx is slightly better than the plain RM and it looks like it can be had cheaper, or at least same price.

• Like 1

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So I got the 3080 today, took out the Vega 64, left the anti-sag support bracket because the cheapskates at ASUS didn't send along... well, anything in the box. I feel a bit like a heathen, but it's all AMDs own fault by now!

So the computer is now as follows,

Case; Corsair 900D

PSU; EVGA 750W Supernova

Motherboard; ASUS Prime X370 Pro

CPU; Ryzen 1800X

Cooler; Fractal Design Celsius S36

RAM; 16GB G-Skill 3200 Flare-X CL 14

Soundcard; Creative Soundblaster Z

GPU; ASUS TUF 3080 OC

Storage;

Seagate BarraCuda 3TB 7200rpm

An age old 750GB Western Digital Black 7200rpm

Kingston 120GB Sata SSD

Samsung 1TB 970 Evo m2

Optiarc DVD-RW burner

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

9 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Optiarc DVD-RW burner

Physical media? Did you have to defeat a lich to uncover that artifact of a bygone era? Were you able to decipher the long forgotten language contained within? What mysteries does it hold? :shifty:

Edited by Keyrock
  • Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I must say, I thought building a decent PC would be cheaper. I do have reservation on spending over £2000 pounds on a toy. And not the best of the best toy at that. If I had TV I might consider getting a console. As it stands.... I guess I will hope that after 3 weeks of no work/no TV/no socializing holiday my reservations will melt 😂.

1 hour ago, Wormerine said:

I must say, I thought building a decent PC would be cheaper. I do have reservation on spending over £2000 pounds on a toy.

But but it's not just a toy, you can do so much more with a PC than game! .... like, make silly photo chops! ... er ... :shifty:
I know what you mean tho.  When I built mine a couple years ago...sigh, never mind.  But unless you're a 4k/mega fps/RT/all ultra all the time sort, it should last you a pretty long time, with one gpu upgrade down the line perhaps, and maybe not even that if you're not too picky.

3 hours ago, Azdeus said:

Samsung 1TB 970 Evo m2

Nowhere near enough.   :sorcerer:

3 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Physical media?

It's still funny how I didn't buy one/forgot all about it, but then I wanted to install a few of my older/always installed non-gaming softwares, pulled their CD's of a drawer and ...   =]

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

6 hours ago, Keyrock said:

Physical media? Did you have to defeat a lich to uncover that artifact of a bygone era? Were you able to decipher the long forgotten language contained within? What mysteries does it hold? :shifty:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

2 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Nowhere near enough.   :sorcerer:

Haha! When I bought it the 2TB one cost around 600$, so I didn't feel it was worth it, and my motherboard only has 1 slot for m.2's(And didn't come with an m.2 screw either >_<) so I can't get more without an add-in card. I'm getting a new MB and CPU sometime early next year since I'm silly amounts of CPU bound now, so at that time I'm getting one of the addins so I can have a bunch of them. I really hate the mounting position of m.2s as it is, so it'll be worth it for just that.

6 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

Thanks!  I was looking for some killer ram at a decent price and the numbers here check out.

If you know what you're doing you can get some good speeds of them. My motherboards been finnicky, but a friend had them up to 3400 CL14 and 3733 CL16. I only run them at 3200 CL 14 DOCP

• Gasp! 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Just now, Azdeus said:

If you know what you're doing you can get some good speeds of them. My motherboards been finnicky, but a friend had them up to 3400 CL14 and 3733 CL16. I only run them at 3200 CL 14 DOCP

Yes 3200 CL14 seems to be the best of the bunch and will last a while, especially for an Intel user.

Ryzen users should benefit more from 3600 or 4000 sometime in the near future.

1 hour ago, ComradeMaster said:

Yes 3200 CL14 seems to be the best of the bunch and will last a while, especially for an Intel user.

Ryzen users should benefit more from 3600 or 4000 sometime in the near future.

Ryzen users should match the internal fclk with their RAM, almost all (newer) ryzens can hit 1800, but you will need to start raising voltages to get 1900 or 2000, and that's not worth it. Once you break the 1:1 ratio of the fclk you lose alot of performance.

On 12/19/2020 at 1:15 PM, Keyrock said:

Try as I might I can't not have one in my PC.  I guess I will really need to access that DVD of DBZ episodes I burned in 2009. Some day.  Sound card as well, but that is more defensible.

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

4 hours ago, Wormerine said:

I am currently trying to find my way among monitors. Any recommendations?

My initial thoughts has been: IPS 1440p G-Sync compatible. 
is there anything decent of that sort in £200-300? (I think it’s more 1080p range).

if not: anything in £300-400?

Just as a heads up if you didn't know, many Freesync monitors work with nVidias cards nowadays aswell. I'm using an ASUS MG279q that I can freesync with my 3080

5 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

Just as a heads up if you didn't know, many Freesync monitors work with nVidias cards nowadays aswell. I'm using an ASUS MG279q that I can freesync with my 3080

Yeah, I know. Official G-syncs are too pricey for my taste. I am at the moment leaning towards Gigabyte G27Q. ISP, flat, 1440p Freesyncs. Seems like a good value for money.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Sad 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

11 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

Whelp, I guess buying scalped GPU's now may make sense since retail are going up anyway.  Get 'em while you can, boys and girls.

EDIT: I'm willing to bet that people buying these from scalpers helped make their final decision to raise the prices.

Edited by ComradeMaster

To make matters worse, crypto prices have surged recently, so miners will likely continue to snap up cards. I dodged the last crypto-driven GPU shortage... was it 3 or 4 years ago? My 6800 XT is already ordered, so... well, I guess I can't say I dodged anything this time around given how bonkers buying PC parts has been while I've been building my rig. >_<

I'm just glad the whole process is almost over for me. Hopefully all this crap sorts itself out and we go back to something remotely resembling normal buying conditions soon for those wishing to build or upgrade in the near future.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

8 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Those are the prices we get in Europe... 😂

• Haha 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Hey folks, I am in the process in assembling my very first PC. My graphic card has total 16 pins (8 + 8). Is really this single monstrosity all I need to connect it? It feels kinda odd to plug all four heads, while while a single 8header goes into the PSU.

C81C58CD-6187-4036-BF1E-3AEC25C063C4.thumb.jpeg.aac7c1c4cedb87083debf28615912472.jpeg