Build Thread 3.0

Amentep

7 hours ago, Raithe said:

Now I'm rubbing my hands and cackling like an evil genius as I consider on Gigabyt's Z390 Aorus Ultra Motherboard and the balance of 9th generation i5 3.7Ghz, or the push towards an i7 3.0 Ghz.  Or what effect 32GB of DDR4 3600Mhz would have.  I'm curious on how an M.2 solid state drive would be for boot and windows install.

My friend, have you heard the good news about our Lord and Saviour Lisa Su AMD?

• Like 6

Unrelated, but did anyone else hear about MSI's well-liked CEO falling to his death from the top of their headquarters in Taiwan today? Unknown if accident, suicide, or homicide.

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Think I will go AMD this time, probably should start itemizing a build.  Curious how screwed I will be for being in Canada.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'm kinda tempted to try my hand at a custom water loop this time around. This would be uncharted waters (pun intended) for me, but how hard can it be?  The case I bought can handle 3x140mm fans in the front, so I could mount a massive 420mm radiator there, which should be plenty to cool an overclocked cpu and an overclocked gpu.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

14 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I'm kinda tempted to try my hand at a custom water loop this time around. This would be uncharted waters (pun intended) for me, but how hard can it be?  The case I bought can handle 3x140mm fans in the front, so I could mount a massive 420mm radiator there, which should be plenty to cool an overclocked cpu and an overclocked gpu.

It's expensive and time consuming depending on how complicated you want to make it, but the end result looks awesome. I used to follow Singularity Computers on YT, he has awesome guides.

• Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

If I do go through with a custom water loop, I'll make a new thread and detail the process with pictures and such. It won't be flashy, I care not for fancy lights and such. I figure it might be helpful and/or interesting for other people that have never done a custom loop to see a fellow n00b do it. At the end they can draw their own conclusion. For example; that came out alright and didn't look so hard, maybe I'll try it, or, yikes, that looks horrible and that Keyrock guy it terrible, screw that. ;)

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My only recommendation, from what I know, is to use hard tubing, as the soft variant degrades and gets stained. This does increase the cost as you need fittings for any bends you may need (although I have seen people bend hard tubing with heat to various degrees of success).

• Thanks 1

I have a wacky idea for the tubing, but I'll keep that one in my back pocket for now.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I played around with the thought of doing a custom loop for my computer, using copper tubing. Gave up on that idea though and got an AIO, I wanted the computer up and running fast. :p

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Still playing around with temptation on Novatech's "Custom PC Build" setup...

Keep ending up looking at some variation of this:

be quiet! DARK BASE 900 Black XL-ATX Full Tower Chassis
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra Z390 ATX Motherboard
9th Generation Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Processor
Corsair Hydro Series, H100i PRO RGB, 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8GB Graphics Card
Novatech Build Stock 240GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive
Novatech Build Stock 480GB Solid State Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GBs 5400RPM 256MB Cache
BeQuiet System Power 9 600W 80 Plus Bronze Non-Modular ATX Power Supply

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

11 hours ago, Raithe said:

Still playing around with temptation on Novatech's "Custom PC Build" setup...

Keep ending up looking at some variation of this:

be quiet! DARK BASE 900 Black XL-ATX Full Tower Chassis
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra Z390 ATX Motherboard
9th Generation Intel Core i7 9700K 3.6GHz Processor
Corsair Hydro Series, H100i PRO RGB, 240mm Radiator Liquid CPU Cooler
32GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX Black DDR4 3600MHz Dual Channel Kit
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 Super Windforce OC 8GB Graphics Card
Novatech Build Stock 240GB NVME M.2 Solid State Drive
Novatech Build Stock 480GB Solid State Drive
Seagate BarraCuda 4TB Desktop Hard Drive 3.5" SATA III 6GBs 5400RPM 256MB Cache
BeQuiet System Power 9 600W 80 Plus Bronze Non-Modular ATX Power Supply

So out of curiosity, what makes you choose Intel?

Edited by Azdeus

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

1 hour ago, Azdeus said:

So out of curiosity, what makes you choose Intel?

Years ago, I mean, seriously years ago I had an AMD and just kept having odd things with it, and then the Motherboard blew, and just become one of those things where I've always gone with Intel since then.

On 7/16/2020 at 1:15 PM, Raithe said:

Years ago, I mean, seriously years ago I had an AMD and just kept having odd things with it, and then the Motherboard blew, and just become one of those things where I've always gone with Intel since then.

I can empathize. My father had one of those machines from hell at work and most of his colleagues and partners had them too. At work... and at home. I spent hundres of hours (not exaggerating here) supporting these abominations. Nothing worked the way it should*, especially when you had one of them VIA mainboards that came with driver installers that potentially just killed your Windows.

*Not even talking about gaming here. Those were work computers where the serial ports randomly stopped working until you manually (re)assigned port numbers, for instance. This was particularily fun with telephone systems or people who just wouldn't get any readouts from their manufacturing, laboratory or meteorological equipment. Getting games to run with some stability was a different kind of hell. Bonus points for having ATi cards.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

So out of curiosity, how many people actually put a Soundcard in their pc these days or who still relies on that fact that onboard Motherboard sound is pretty decent?

I'm having one of those old gaffer moments of "when I was a kid, you had to have a soundcard or you'd only get 4 tones of beep from your pc"...

24 minutes ago, Raithe said:

So out of curiosity, how many people actually put a Soundcard in their pc these days or who still relies on that fact that onboard Motherboard sound is pretty decent?

I'm having one of those old gaffer moments of "when I was a kid, you had to have a soundcard or you'd only get 4 tones of beep from your pc"...

I haven't used a sound card in well over a decade.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

People nowadays either use a dac or an amplifier if they want some high end speakers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

I still do, haven't actually compared the onboard sound to it recently though but the last time I had to use onboard I did not care for it.

• Like 1

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

3 hours ago, Raithe said:

I still have one, and I like it. I did notice a little bit of quality increase, i.e. better separation of sound, and the software is better than it is for the onboard.

• Like 1

An external DAC pretty much is a sound card, just connected via USB instead of PCI. There is a belief that this is superior anyway because it isolates the circuitry from any electrical noise inside your PC. From there it's the same thing, connect it to ye olde powered "computer speakers" or better yet, a separate amplifier and proper hi-fi speakers. I'm of the belief that it's pointless to spend the money on a good sound card or DAC unless you're also investing in a pair of good speakers - and they are an investment, being something that can easily last you decades.

You don't need to have all the bits separate of course. A very good option is to go for a combination DAC + amp combo for convenience. Sure the amps contained within are generally just cheap T-amps, but in truth, plenty of this type of amplifier is sold by even high-end brands as "digital" amps for 10x the price. I use a budget Topping VX1 personally - probably discontinued now - but plenty such devices exist, some even with a headphone amp included.

Important: a DAC and an amp are completely different things and fulfil entirely different functions, and you need both functions to actually make sound. It's just that they can both be in the same box. If you buy a DAC only, then you will need some sort of amplification later. If you buy an amp only, then you are implicitly using the DAC inside the PC (i.e. onboard sound).

To generalise how digital sound reproduction works, there are four links in the chain, and all the links are necessary. It goes source -> DAC -> amplification -> output. Any and all of these elements can be separate, or they may all be in the same device. Some examples:

1) One of those ubiquitous CD boomboxes in the 90. It is a source, DAC, amp and output together in one box.

2) A typical 90s PC would have the source (the CD-ROM drive or just audio files) and DAC (sound card) be inside the PC, and the amplification and output be within the powered speakers you plug into the PC.

3) Playing music through your smartphone. The phone is a source, and if you use wired headphones, the phone is also the DAC and the amp, with the headphones being the output. If you're playing through Bluetooth headphones, then actually your phone is only the source, and the headphones act as the DAC, amp and output.

4) A typical home theatre would have a Blu-ray player as the source, connected to an AV Receiver which acts as the DAC and amp, and the hi-fi speakers would purely handle the output.

(In the pre-digital days, e.g. for vinyl or tape, the DAC is omitted of course).

• Like 4

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

17 hours ago, Malcador said:

I still do, haven't actually compared the onboard sound to it recently though but the last time I had to use onboard I did not care for it.

That would be me as well.  Every time I've tried onboard I just can't stand it - likely it's just their drivers/softwares differences, but onboard always sounds tinny/screechy or muffled or awful in some way (using the exact same "desktop speaks"). When I built my rig last time I gave it a shot again and same thing.  Toss in one of my many soundblasters and suddenly those same $50-$100 speakers sound fantastic (for what they are, I mean, I'm not looking for/expecting audiophile sound in my gaming personally)).

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I am sure I am the only one that still uses an optical drive 😛

• Haha 2
  • Hmmm 1

24 minutes ago, Malcador said:

I am sure I am the only one that still uses an optical drive 😛

pfft 😛

dvd rw.JPG

13 minutes ago, Azdeus said:

pfft 😛

dvd rw.JPG

Hah. Yeah mainly I keep it to load up old games and I've a bunch of stuff archived on DVDs.  Back when I had a bandwidth cap I needed it for larger games - got the physical version of GTAV, 5 discs, blah.   Had to replace a bunch during my transition from XP -> 7 -> 8/10, as with my soundcard.

• Like 1