Build Thread 3.0

Amentep

• 2 months later...

Got a new monitor, Lenovo Legion Y27Q-20. I decided not to go down the ultrawide route again and so far I'm very happy with my purchase. The only thing I need now is a new graphics cars, as the nvidia 9xx series do not support gsync compatibility and do not have dp 1.4. So right now I can't get the full 10bit color picture and obviously the gsync doesn't work.

• Like 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

• 5 weeks later...

Out of curiosity, do they still make high-end/enthusiast components without the tacky bright lights? I'm not trying to have my upcoming rig look like it belongs at a rave.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

Out of curiosity, do they still make high-end/enthusiast components without the tacky bright lights? I'm not trying to have my upcoming rig look like it belongs at a rave.

If you pay a premium! 🤣

I **** you not, I saw some MSI or something motherboard called Black edition. It was without the RGB-bits and had an extra price compared to the others. Granted it's a sample size of one store.

https://www.inet.se/produkt/1903076/msi-x570-meg-unify

I was wrong about the name, but they call the "design" Blackout. ffs.

Edited by Azdeus
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

There's till plenty of decent spec RAM around without RGB, and lots of fans/ cooling without them too. Motherboards and video cards... not so much. Think they presume that you'll either turn the RGB off using their software or buy a closed case if you don't like it.

• Thanks 1

But I don't want to use their garbage software...:(

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

4 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Give NZXT coolers a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiide berth then. I'm thinking of going back to my Noctua just to get rid of the NZXT software.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not to mention that I'm one of those Linux weirdos, so there's a significant chance that I can't use their garbage software. On the bright side, there's always a chance that there is an open-source alternative to their garbage software.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

My cpu died on me, so I guess it's time for an upgrade. RIP Ivy Bridge.

So the question is simple, Ryzen or Intel?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

33 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

So the question is simple, Ryzen or Intel?

Depends on your use case. If your computer is going to be used primarily for gaming and you don't forsee using a lot of highly threaded applications or doing heavy multitasking on a regular basis, then Intel is probably your best choice. In nearly every other scenario than the one I just described AMD is probably your best choice. If you could wait a few months until the Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 desktop CPUs come out, it may very well be, at that time, that AMD is the best choice in any use case, but we won't know for sure until those chips are out in the wild.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, I'm not waiting, as my PC is dead right now. I've done some research since my post and it's looking like a fight between the 3600 and the 10400F. At this point I guess it will depend mostly on price, although I hear the cooler on ryzen CPUs is much better.

Heja Sverige!!

Intel coolers have always been quite terrible - doubt it's changed for the 10000 series, but I don't know for sure. Ryzen's won't get you much overclocking, but will be perfectly good otherwise. In terms of performance, it looks like they're roughly the same (although there's a lack of benchmarks available for the Intel chip, while the Ryzen has like a billion).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

One thing you could do is get a cheap Ryzen 3xxx right now, like the 3100, for example, then swap in a 4xxx once they come out, since it's the same socket. Just make sure you get a B550 or X570 mobo that will support the upcoming chips, if you plan to go that route.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Well, already ordered the following:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

G.Skill Ripjaws V - DDR4 - 16 GB

Should work well enough. Thanks for the advice. I already thought about that upgrade thing, but what happens when I plan ahead for upgrading is that I end up not upgrading down the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Heja Sverige!!

43 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

Well, already ordered the following:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4

G.Skill Ripjaws V - DDR4 - 16 GB

Should work well enough. Thanks for the advice. I already thought about that upgrade thing, but what happens when I plan ahead for upgrading is that I end up not upgrading down the line.

That's perfectly fine, the 3600 is a very capable chip that's going to serve you well for years to come. I can't see it becoming a gaming bottleneck any time soon. On the off chance the 4xxx chips wind up being some revolutionary leap forward (la_noire_doubt.jpg), you could always swap out the cpu.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Bet that feels nice. Still debating on when I want to upgrade to a Ryzen...anyone know if RAM prices are decent these days? Haven't been watching the market for a while, since nobody I know has been looking to upgrade. Don't feel like paying a trillion dollars for 32GB of DDR4 (and at this point, 32GB is my minimum since I was very frequently running into my limit when I used to be at 16GB).

I don't know what you consider expensive, but you should be able to get 32GB for like 130 currency of choice.

What do you do that you use so much RAM?

Heja Sverige!!

41 minutes ago, Pidesco said:

I don't know what you consider expensive, but you should be able to get 32GB for like 130 currency of choice.

What do you do that you use so much RAM?

That sounds pretty fair.

The four biggest things probably are: 1. Scanning in images and editing them in Photoshop (at 1200dpi, even a single image is very memory hungry - at a 16GB limit, I usually had system stability issues when attempting to do this); 2. Memory editing; 3. Running virtual machines; 4. Running new emulators (the Switch, WiiU, and PS3 emulators are all very memory-hungry). I also very frequently have multiple browsers open while doing any and all of this, and I am often encoding stuff, along with anything else I might be doing.

33 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

1. Scanning in images and editing them in Photoshop (at 1200dpi, even a single image is very memory hungry - at a 16GB limit, I usually had system stability issues when attempting to do this)

Scanalating manga? :)

No - though I may enjoy cartoons, I am decidedly not an anime or manga person, :). My scanning interests lie more in the realm of music and books.

• Like 1

I'm starting to shop for a case, since the good ones tend to perpetually be out of stock, on account of everybody buying them up as soon as they get more in stock. I don't want to get into a situation where I can buy all my components but have to settle on a case since all the good ones are sold out, plus it's not like it will go bad sitting in my closet for 3 or 4 months. This is the one I'm leaning toward:

https://www.newegg.com/black-be-quiet-pure-base-atx-micro-atx-mid-tower/p/2AM-0037-00071?item=9SIA68VB0W1038

It has great thermals in stock configuration with good noise levels (on account of large [140mm] low rpm fans) and has a nice classy look (I don't want a case that looks like a Gundam or something). The 2 aRGB strips are understated enough, I don't mind aRGBs if they're simple and classy looking, I just don't want something crazy with loud flashing or changing lights that will make me want to take rave drugs and break out the glow sticks. 

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I just bought three pieces of hardware from Razer in an attempt to update my embarrassing Keyboard/Mouse/Sound configuration.

All-in-all I'm satisfied but I'm thinking I should have paid a little extra and gotten a bigger mouse, this Death Adder is quite small.

Also, I keep a bottle of sanitizer on top of my case and use it frequently to help slow the process of grime buildup, and I hear it helps prevent Covid-19 so that's two birds with one stone.

The newest version of the desktop after my 9900k decided to release the 'magic blue smoke':

• CPU
    Ryzen 3950x

• Motherboard
    GigaByte Aorus Xtreme

• RAM
    64Gb 3200 DDR4 at CL16

• GPU
    EVGA 2080Ti KingPin

• Case
    Customized H440

• Storage
    1Tb NVME SSD - Boot Drive
    480Gb SATA SSD - Games
    500Gb SATA SSD - Games
    512Gb NVME SSD - Storage
    512GB NVME SSD - Storage

• PSU
    EVGA 1000w P2

• Display
    Alienware AW3418DW - 3440x1440p 120Hz GSync

• Cooling
    Dual GPU/CPU waterloops

• Keyboard
    Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum

• Mouse
    G903 and G502 with Powerplay
  • Like 4

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

• 2 weeks later...

I'm starting to order some of the components for my upcoming build. I have the case, PSU, mobo, and some thermal grease ordered. I'm waiting on the CPU cooler to go back into stock. The mobo I picked out has been out of stock (unless you wanted to pay a STOOPID premium) forever. It came back into stock yesterday. I'm glad I ordered it immediately, it's already out of stock again. :blink:

I'm going to hold off on a SSD for a bit and make a decision between a PCIE4.0 and PCIE3.0 SSD then. CPU, GPU, and RAM will be last.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I've been having a few odd glitches throwing up these days, and as I was doing general computer health check I suddenly realised that half my pc is actually 7 years old now.

Motherboard and CPU and a bunch of the core components were all put in back in 2013...  So I casually wandered over to my local computer stores "build your own PC" tool, and it's like....

Growl.

I've got that aging i5 - 3.4Ghz quad core, with 16 Gb DDR3 Corsair ram that handles most things, but having that general aging process kick in.

Now I'm rubbing my hands and cackling like an evil genius as I consider on Gigabyt's Z390 Aorus Ultra Motherboard and the balance of 9th generation i5 3.7Ghz, or the push towards an i7 3.0 Ghz.  Or what effect 32GB of DDR4 3600Mhz would have.  I'm curious on how an M.2 solid state drive would be for boot and windows install.

Of course, when playing around with that sort of "build your own" tool, it gets tempting to slap on the Corsair Hydro cooling system or other such silliness....

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

^ Deadly_Nightshade, Raithe, and I seem to have similar tastes in mobos. I got the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, which is the step between the top of the line Xtreme and mid/high-end Ultra. Honestly, without even knowing the final specs of the Zen 3 chips and what kind of power draw they will have and heat they will put out, the Master is almost certainly much more mobo than I need. I could have gotten the Ultra or even the Elite and the VRM on those would almost certainly be plenty good enough for enthusiast overclocking. What can I say, I couldn't help myself. Enthusiast overclocking with the Master is overkill akin to hunting rabbits with a rocket launcher. For comparison, the Xtreme is hunting rabbits with an air strike. :lol:

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸