POST YOUR SPECS

Amentep

As someone who's not a fan of pastels, I couldn't handle those keycaps, but to each their own.

I have plain black keycaps with translucent characters on my DasKeyboard 4Q. I could make them cycle and breathe and do all the wacky stuff kids do with RGBs these days, but I just have them all amber-ish with WASD in red. I did swap out the default system keycaps (they weren't Windows logos, just some weird symbols) with lovely Tux keycaps.

9GQBk4K.jpeg

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

It's odd because in the flesh, the keycaps actually look pretty much halfway between the washed-out look in my photo, and the oversaturated look on the store page, and they strike a happy medium for me. Not pastel by my definition of the term, but also not quite as searingly garish as a potential buyer might be led into thinking. At any rate, I was after a set of affordable (~$50) caps with traditional lettering and at the time the Tai Hao range seemed to fit the bill, and I simply picked the colour scheme that fit my mood at the time. There was a trap however as a lot of the models have an awful "anti-bacterial" coating that's best avoided, had to grab the non-coated variant through Massdrop if I remember right.

The keyboard is actually also a (non-RGB) Das 4, it was originally one of the "Ultimate" models, i.e. the ones with blank keycaps, which I bought because it was significantly discounted (compared to the price of the regular "Professional" version. To be honest I don't love it, the flange is a bit too wide because I have a quirk where I anchor my left pinkie to the edge of the keyboard when typing. I now have some electrical tape lining the edge because the metal edge hurts my pinkie, especially as the paint has increasingly worn out and exposed the bare metal underneath. I do like that the media buttons are wholly separate though, hate keyboard with Fn alternate-mode media keys. Downside is that the actual buttons are pretty rubbish though.

EDIT: I think what's also happening is that my room lighting is actually very warm, but Android/Sony's image processing is automatically removing it, so how it looks in photos is probably what it might look like if I took it outdoors. In person it looks a lot greener because of the yellow-tinted light. Anyway, a photo with less glare, though still not great. You can just make out the taped up left edge (and covered numlock LED), plus the paint wearing out on the bottom-left edge.

X8hfHOq.png

Edited by Humanoid
  • Like 2

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

@HumanoidDo the keycaps glow in the dark, are they painted with tritium or something?

I like having backlit keycaps so that I can easily see the keys in the dark, for example if I'm playing a horror game with all lights off for maximum spooky. At the same time, I don't want the keyboard flashing or cycling through colors or the keycaps being overly bright because I find that distracting. I guess I'm anal like that.:blush:

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

10 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

@HumanoidDo the keycaps glow in the dark, are they painted with tritium or something?

I like having backlit keycaps so that I can easily see the keys in the dark, for example if I'm playing a horror game with all lights off for maximum spooky. At the same time, I don't want the keyboard flashing or cycling through colors or the keycaps being overly bright because I find that distracting. I guess I'm anal like that.:blush:

I'm the opposite, in that I want zero potential distractions. So not only do my keys emit zero light, I don't want any illumination at all from that direction, hence the taped-up numlock LED. The keycaps are therefore bog-standard PBT plastic (as opposed to cheap ABS plastic that goes shiny with wear),

That, and I don't play horror games at all. ;)

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 4 weeks later...

...got the new rig up an' runnin'; still p*ssin' 'round wit' cable management an' such but gettin' there...

newrig1.thumb.jpg.b67ca1558ee0479f720ace2fa49c2f24.jpg

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

• Like 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

• 3 weeks later...

bluetooth update:

i got this cheap magnetic antennae base that you stick on the side of your PC after hooking it up to the PCIE card, the bluetooth range on my headphones is now about 3x as long as it used to be compared with the default antennae that came with my AX210 card; presumably the wireless is also much better, but I didn't actually test it

looks a little ridiculous, but seems to work really well

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 3

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 1 month later...

...finishin' touches an' all that done...she's comin' along...

image.thumb.jpeg.5b684c7db3222ba766656ec5dcbaa36d.jpeg

newricpicnight.thumb.jpg.f2ea98e2da13126793813fc4b7dd3455.jpg

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

Edited by Sargallath Abraxium
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

On 4/21/2022 at 4:31 PM, majestic said:

Well, not as fancy, but here goes nothing:

• Corsair 4000D Airflow black
  • Intel Core i5-12600K
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B660-A
  • 32 GB DDR5-5200 Corsair Vengeance
  • ZOTAC GAMING Twin Edge RTX 3060
  • 2 TB M.2 Samsung 980 PRO
  • be quiet! Dark Rock 4
  • 4x be quiet Pure Wings 2

The 3060 is up for a replacement once the 40s come out and prices have died down a little, but it's more than good enough for all my needs right now, so not really much of a priority upgrade.

Quite a deafening silence in the room now. Eery. :)

With the recent upgrades:

• Corsair 4000D Airflow black
  • Intel Core i7-13700K
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B660-A
  • 32 GB DDR5-6800 CL34* Corsair Vengeance
  • ZOTAC GAMING Trinity RTX 4070 Ti
  • 2 TB M.2 Samsung 980 PRO
  • be quiet! Silent Loop 2 280mm
  • Thermal Grizzly Intel 12th/13h gen CPU frame
  • 4x be quiet Pure Wings 2

*Actually DDR5-7200 CL34, but not stable at 7200 MT/s

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I'd update if there were anything worth updating for. I don't run any fancy work software on my desktop pc anymore.

And for games, there just isn't anything AAA+ related worth playing in the near future (mixed feelings about Starfield). Maybe TES VI in 2044.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

• 6 months later...

^ Looks like a nice case, minus the RGBs, but I assume you can turn those off, or to something less aggressive. My case just has 2 thin vertical lines down the front that I can make do all sorts of stuff but I just have amber light go from top to bottom. That's the maximum amount of RGBs I can handle, I find anything more abrasive. To each their own, though, and RGBs aside, it looks like a spacious and well-built case with plenty of air flow.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸