POST YOUR SPECS

Amentep

If someone's getting a Aorus Master, 5950X, and ProSiphon Elite I hope they're doing some hardcore overclocking. That's some exotic expensive hardware, I'd pay see it running, like an animal in a zoo.

750w should be enough for a regular system with a 3080. I'm always concerned about efficiency and aging though, so I always go at least 200w above what I need. I actually only went with 1000w because of the supply shortage of PSU. There was a few 850w/766w PSU I wanted to get instead. What is going on with that? I would have thought it would have been more than sorted by now.

Cut and pasted from old thread... only real change is the Gfx card, because I'm a cheapskate. Originally it was just the onboard intel "gfx", then a ti-1050 with (4gb)

Casing
Corsair Carbide Quiet 600Q Inverse ATX Full Tower Case

PSU
Dark Power Pro 11 1000W Power Supply

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-F Gaming LGA 1151 ATX Motherboard

CPU/CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7 8700K Six Core LGA 1151 3.7 GHz
Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM
Corsair 64GB (4 x 16GB) CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 DDR4 3000MHz Vengeance LPX

HDD (boot)
Intel 760p Series M.2 NVMe SSD 512GB

HDD (other) (x2 for 12TB total)
Western Digital Black WD6002FZWX 6TB

Optical Drive (does dvd, blu-ray and m-disc writing)
LG BH16NS55

GFX
Asus ROG-STRIX-RTX2070S (8gb)

I like how relatively low noise the gfx card is even when under duress. And if I feel like getting it more quiet, the accompanying Asus software allows me to use "silent" mode where it sacrifices speed for low temperatures (and less fan activity)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base DX 500

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

CPU: AMD Ryzen R9 5950X

RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-4000 16-19-19-39 32GB (2x16)

GPU: (Some Brand) AMD Radeon RX6800XT

SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2TB

PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W

Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Monitor/TV: Sony X900H 55"

• Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

9 hours ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

What are you going to be using all them cores for, some rendering like blender or cinebench?

Mainly video editing and encoding.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 10/28/2020 at 5:22 PM, Keyrock said:

Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base DX 500

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

[  ... etc   ]

...I see no pictures.  :mellow:

Sounds nice, tho. :thumbsup:

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

20 minutes ago, LadyCrimson said:

...I see no pictures.  :mellow:

You will eventually.

Edit: Here's a picture of the static pressure fans I will be using in the water loop to whet your appetite:

TENbnk2.jpeg

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

On 10/29/2020 at 8:12 AM, Keyrock said:

Mainly video editing and encoding.

I really need a new CPU just for encoding stuff, my i7-4770k has been making it very difficult and more time-consuming than it needs to be as of the past couple of years. Still looking to upgrade to a Ryzen within the next year or so...

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I really need a new CPU just for encoding stuff, my i7-4770k has been making it very difficult and more time-consuming than it needs to be...

I have a 4790K, we're basically in the same boat. I'm imagining encoding with quadruple the cores and much higher IPC...

DeepThoughtfulBetafish-size_restricted.g

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

Just now, Keyrock said:

I have a 4790K, we're basically in the same boat. I'm imagining encoding with quadruple the cores and much higher IPC...

Ha, yeah, that's almost literally the same exact CPU (just the weird Devil Canyon's "refresh" version of it). The 32 thread 5950X might, uh, be slightly better compared to either, :p. I am not looking to upgrade to something *quite* that ridiculous, probably more like a 5800X. ...Although the 5900X at MSRP is only $100 more for 50% more cores/threads, which is a ridiculous value, so it might just  come down to actual prices at the time of purchasing.

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'm waffling on upgrading since I have a 3900X and 5700XT

I mean, I really want to, but since I'm still gaming at 1080p I don't see the point unless I also get some new monitors and that's even more money that I'm not sure I want to spend right now

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

On 11/8/2020 at 3:24 AM, ShadySands said:

I'm waffling on upgrading since I have a 3900X and 5700XT

I mean, I really want to, but since I'm still gaming at 1080p I don't see the point unless I also get some new monitors and that's even more money that I'm not sure I want to spend right now

The 3900X and 5700XT should carry a mid-ranged gamer for quite some time.  Personally if that's what I had, I probably wouldn't even bother for a while.  I used to be a staunchly mid-ranged gamer but I got sucked back into hardware extremism (even after swearing I wouldn't ever do it again).  My bank account is not pleased.

• 1 month later...

CPU: Core i9 9900k 5.1Ghz 1.34v 8c/16t

GPU: EVGA Geforce RTX 3090 FTW3 1955Mhz boost clock

RAM: 32Gb 4x8 Trident Z Royal Series 3200 CL4

SSD: 2 Tb Samsung SSD Evo 970

MON: ASUS ROG G-sync 1440p 165hz

MOB: MSI MEG ACE z390

CLR: Noctua D-H15 air cooler

OK.  I am absolutely DONE with PC parts until Meteor Lake hits in probably 2023, and the Nvidia 50xx series in probably 2024.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

RAM: 32Gb 4x8 Trident Z Royal Series 3200 CL4

That must have cost a fortune, or that 4 is a typo 😄

Edited by Sarex

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

RAM: 32 Gigabytes of DDR4 Trident Z Royal Series in 4 sticks of 8 gigabytes that comes with a 3200Mhz data rate with a cache latency of 14-14-14-34 (CL14 fourteen).

I am hoping I can get it to 13-13-13-31, and would not mind turning down the data rate to 3100Mhz to achieve it.

We will see once it arrives what I can do with it.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2020 at 5:28 PM, ComradeMaster said:

We will see once it arrives what I can do with it.

Whelp, I didn't have much luck with the timings but I still managed to get it to 3333Ghz so I think we're good for while.  Internet experts say that you want both speed and timings to be high and shouldn't sacrifice one for the other.  I disagree, it is of my opinion that you should aim for better data rate with AMD and better timings with Intel because Intel chips are designed with real complex cache setups whilst AMD has that whole Infinity Fabric thingamabob that seems to benefit from higher base speeds. 

I don't like the glowing RGB, perhaps I can find some drivers where I can just set it to blue and green, but it doesn't really matter because my huge air fan covers the memory anyway.

Speaking of air fans, I managed to beat the Ryzen Threadripper 1950x 16 Cores in multicore  Cinebench with my i9 10900k overclocked and temps never went above 80c which impressive because the 10900k only sports 10 cores.  Single Cores can't quite beat the best of Zen 3, but it's close, and not massively significant.  Just not long ago I thought the only way to fly was with water cooling.  Doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm starting to think that CPU's matter a great deal for gaming nowadays, because newer CPU's are showing benchmark results that greatly reduced 1.0% and 0.1% lows, which results in much more consistent 'fluid' gameplay that you would otherwise get.

EDIT: managed to find the RGB drivers just fine and got all four RAM sticks to cyan.  Looks great!  Cyan is my favorite color, however my fan still blatantly blocks it.

Edited by ComradeMaster

• 2 weeks later...

First build of mine. Special thanks to @Humanoid@ComradeMasterfor suggestions and help! 

• CPU:  AMD Ryzen 5 5600x 3.7 GHz  6-Core Processor
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator
  • Motherboard: ASUS TUF Gaming b550-Plus
  • RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 – 3600 CL18
  • System SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5’’ SATA SSD
  • Gaming SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB 2.5’’ SATA SSD
  • GPU: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Aorus Master 8GB OC
  • Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX
  • Power Supply: Corsair RMx 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular
  • Monitor: Gigabyte G27Q 27’’ 2560x1440 144Hz
  • Keyboard: Logitech G413 Mechanical Keyboard
  • Mouse: Logitech G502 SE

hpihUl6.jpg

LiIoEyi.jpg

EROu6c5.jpg

Freesync/G-sync are just the most brilliant invertion. I don't know how I lived without one before. Then again, before I was rarely able to run games at 60FPS not to mention above that. 

• Like 5

I finally have everything at home. Here are the final specs:

Case: Be Quiet! Pure Base DX 500

Mobo: Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master

CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 5800X

RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws DDR4-4000 16-19-19-39 64GB (4x16)

GPU: Sapphire Radeon RX 6900 XT Nitro+

SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus 2TB

PSU: Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W

Cooling: Custom Water Loop

Monitor/TV: Sony X900H 55"

Keyboard: Das Keyboard 4Q

Mouse: Microsoft Trackball Explorer (precious ancient artifact)

I get home in 2 weeks, I can finally build it then.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 4

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an update, it's been over five years since the last one.

Core:
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
Noctua U14S
MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi
4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600MT/s CL16
Sapphire RX 6800 Nitro+
Fractal Design Define 7 White, no window
750W Bitfenix Whisper M

Storage:
1TB WD Black SN750
2TB Crucial MX500
960GB Sandisk Ultra II
256GB Crucial m4
Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-ray combo

Peripherals:
Topping VX1 DAC/amp
Monitor Audio Bronze 2 bookshelf speakers
Philips Fidelio X2 headphones
Logitech MX Master mouse
Das Keyboard 4 Ultimate, Cherry MX Brown keys
Tai Hao Miami keycaps
27" Asus MG279Q
27" Dell U2715H
27" Dell U2711 (dying, replacement order for a Dell S2721DS on the way)

CH Products F-16 Fighterstick USB
Thrustmaster HOTAS Cougar
XBox 360 Wireless controller for PC
Logitech G920 Driving Force wheel

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

• 3 months later...

So, update;

Chassis; Corsair 900D

Motherboard; MSI X570 MEG Unify

CPU; Ryzen 7 5800X

Cooler; Fractal Design Celsius S36, added some rubber vibration dampeners to the fans to get them even quieter.

RAM; 2*16GB GSkill 3600 CL14 Ripjaws

GPU; ASUS Geforce RTX 3080 OC

PSU; EVGA Supernova G2 750W

Soundcard(Yes, they still make them); Creative SoundBlaster Z

NZXT Grid controller for the front fans, biggest mistake in my entire build. When I bought it they didn't have the online crap tied to it though.

Storage;

3 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5" 7200RPM

1TB Samsung 970 EVO m.2

750GB Western Digital Black 3.5"

Kingston 120GB SSD

Optiarc DVD-RW

Monitor; ASUS MG 279

Speakers; Logitech X530 5.1 surround system

VR; HTC Vive Pro Eye + Steam controllers and one extra base station

Joystick; Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS

Controller; XBox One

Wheel; Logitech G29

Keyboard; Razer Huntsman

Mouse; Logitech G502 Hero

• Like 2

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

• 3 months later...

Thanks to Azdeus' kindness, and the gargantuousness of his gift, I now have what I would call a fully modern PC again. The only coming change is to buy a new graphics card, as Azdeus will want his Vega 64 back, and I'd like to have something RTX as soon as prices are reasonable again.

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill Ripjaws V - DDR4 - 16 GB
Sapphire Radeon RX Vega 64 Nitro+
Crucial MX100 512GB
Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 - 4 TB
Dell U3415W
2 Dualshock 4 gamepads
Antec P101 Silent
Seasonic CORE GC 650

I also bought a new case and PSU. I was forced to buy a new case to accomodate the Vega, but I was actually wanting to buy a new case to for years, as my Cooler Master Storm Scout was getting really old(ten years, to be exact. The PSU was also as old, and the one flaw it had was shortish cables, so a new PSU as well. The PSU was an OCZ 600W StealthXStream II and it served me very well. A great buy. These will eventually go into my son's build. He's hogging my PC all evening to play CS GO and Fortnite.

I guess I might as well put up my daughter's new build too, as it was the death of her old PC that triggered all this money spending:

G.Skill AEGIS DDR4-3200 C16 SC - 16GB
Cooler Master MWE Bronze V2 650
ASRock B365 Pro4
Intel Core i5-9400F
ASUS Geforce GTX 980 Ti
Seagate 1Tb 7200 RPM S-ATA2 32Mb
Kingston SSDNow A400 120GB
Samsung 23/24" screen
Corsair Carbide Series 100R

• Like 1

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

• 7 months later...