POST YOUR SPECS

Amentep

On 2/10/2020 at 6:52 AM, Amentep said:

Previous thread:

Damn that's Old School...

Work VFX PC:

AMD Threadripper 2990X 32 Core (hopefully 64 Core 3990X soonish)

Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme X399

128GB Corsair Vengeance

Nvidia RTX 2080

Samsung Evo 970 2TB NVME

EVGA Supernova 1600w

Gaming PC:

Intel i7 8700K

Gigabyte Aorus Z370

32GB Corsair Vengeance

Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti

SoundBlaster AE-9

Samsung Evo 970 500GB NVME

WD Blue 2TB SSD (2x 1TB)

Corsair H 750w

HTPC:

Intel i7 7700K

MSI Z270

32GB Corsair Vengeance

Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Zotac 1TB SSD

4TB HDD

Corsair 600w

That old thread lasted a very long time.  =]
Guess I'll add my current/newer one here as well.

i9-9900k
EVGA 2080ti ftw3
2x16(32), Corsair Vengeance LBX
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master LGA 1151

Samsung 970 Pro 1TB
Two 4TB HDD
Corsair RmX850
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D case  (a lot of Corsair...)

43" (not expensive) 4k led LG TV, 27" 1440 IPS Dell monitor, 27" 1080 IPS LG monitor, so I can play games, do web or graphic stuff AND watch cat videos all at the same time.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 2/11/2020 at 3:39 PM, Bokishi said:

Work VFX PC:

AMD Threadripper 2990X 32 Core (hopefully 64 Core 3990X soonish)

One caveat. Currently on Windows 10 (including Pro or Enterprise), the 3990X's 128 threads actually exceeds what Windows 10 can handle simultaneously and Windows throttles a bit when trying to access all 128 threads at once. I'm sure Microsoft will address this soon enough, but at this point Linux is the only mainstream-ish operating system that can take full advantage of all 128 threads.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

18 hours ago, Keyrock said:

One caveat. Currently on Windows 10 (including Pro or Enterprise), the 3990X's 128 threads actually exceeds what Windows 10 can handle simultaneously and Windows throttles a bit when trying to access all 128 threads at once. I'm sure Microsoft will address this soon enough, but at this point Linux is the only mainstream-ish operating system that can take full advantage of all 128 threads.

High end Ryzen CPU's are a bit overkill in the cores/threads department though, aren't they?  Meanwhile, Intel remains modest in these and offers significantly higher clock speeds, which is perfect for gaming, and perfectly sufficient for all else.

I just don't get Ryzen fanboys.  What the Hell do they do on their rigs that requires such an enormous amount of cores/threads?

3 hours ago, ComradeMaster said:

I just don't get Ryzen fanboys.  What the Hell do they do on their rigs that requires such an enormous amount of cores/threads?

The point is that when more cores become mainstream more applications will start utilizing them. It also lowers the price gate to utilizing software and solutions that require a large number of cores for everyday people.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

9 minutes ago, Sarex said:

The point is that when more cores become mainstream more applications will start utilizing them. It also lowers the price gate to utilizing software and solutions that require a large number of cores for everyday people.

Sounds about as practical as 1 TB Ram right now but ok, do your thing!

Threadripper is not for gaming. If you are buying a Threadripper for a gaming rig you are wasting thousands of dollars for no reason whatsoever. Threadripper is a workstation CPU with a fairly narrow market target, but it is incredible for highly threaded applications. 

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

• 2 months later...

I hadn't noticed, but a couple weeks back HDMI 2.1 was officially released. Why is this a big deal? Because it solves the bandwith issue for 4K gaming at high framerates without workarounds. HDMI 2.1 can handle uncompressed 4K@120 Hz and 8K@60 Hz (for the Bokishis of the world). Later this year we also should get DisplayPort 2.0 which should have even more bandwith, but for my needs HDMI 2.1 is enough.

None of this matters at this moment because no HDMI 2.1 capable video card exists, but it's a safe bet that both Ampere and Big Navi will support it, and likely DisplayPort 2.0 as well. Right now no HDMI 2.1 monitors exist AFAIK, though I think there are some tvs that do, like LG's awesome but expensive C9s. Usually monitors with new tech come out a couple months after the tech comes out, so I should be gucci when I build my new rig this fall.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 1 month later...

My Ivy Bridge died a death, so I'm now back in the AMD camp:

ASRock X570 Phantom Gaming 4
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
G.Skill Ripjaws V - DDR4 - 16 GB

ASUS Geforce GTX 980 Ti
Crucial MX100 512GB
Seagate 1Tb 7200 RPM S-ATA2 32Mb

Seagate Barracuda ST4000DM004 - 4 TB
Dell U3415W
2 Dualshock 4 gamepads

Things have certainly moved a long way:

On 7/25/2006 at 10:51 PM, Pidesco said:

AMD Sempron 2600+

1 GB DDR400 RAM

Geforce 6100 (onboard)

Sound Blaster Live! 1024

Samsung 80GB 7200RPM

And I'm back on the AMD side of things for the first time after I moved away in 2007:

On 6/14/2007 at 2:31 PM, Pidesco said:

ASUS P5L-VM 1394

Pentium 4 631 3.0 GHz

2 GB Kingston DDRII667 RAM

XFX Geforce 7600GT

Onboard Audio (my old SB Live! died on me a while ago

Samsung 80GB 7200RPM

Samsung 17" 795MB

Gamepad XFX XGear Dual Reflex

• Like 2

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Bet that feels nice. Still debating on when I want to upgrade to a Ryzen...anyone know if RAM prices are decent these days? Haven't been watching the market for a while, since nobody I know has been looking to upgrade. Don't feel like paying a trillion dollars for 32GB of DDR4 (and at this point, 32GB is my minimum since I was very frequently running into my limit when I used to be at 16GB).

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

• 3 months later...

i got my 16GB of ripjaws 3200 for a bit under 100 euro so in USA terms you should be able to find decent DDR4 32GB for around $200

my current specs are 

Ryzen 3600

16GB g-skill ripjaws 3200

Asus prime B450M-A

XFX RX 470 4GB

Corsair CS 650W 

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB+ Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Edited by teknoman2

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I have ordered my RAM and MoBo, only thing left to do is order the CPU.

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
  • CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 64GB 3600MHz DDR4 CAS 18-22-22-42
  • Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
  • Storage: Gigabyte AORUS NVMe Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Storage: Sabrent Rocket Q 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME
  • Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB Founders Edition
  • Case: Cooler Master MasterCase SL600M
  • Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G1+ 1000 W
  • Fans: Noctua NF-A20 PWM Chromax.Black.Swap X 2
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

Monitor selection is arguably the most important aspect of your build...and you left it out?! 😝

1 hour ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

What made you go for the Gigabyte MB? I'm thinking of ditching Asus as their driver/bios support is kind of weak.

I used PCPartPicker and it didn't have my TV, so I forgot to add it afterwards

Monitor: LG 48" CX OLED

Not a lot of selection for X570 for reasonable prices with the features I wanted. I was looking at the ASUS TUF Gaming Plus but it won't flash the BIOS to support Zen 3 without a CPU. I like the feature set and software of Gigabyte, my GTX 1080 is Gigabyte, and this board got the OK from some reviewers. When I was last on an AMD platform from 2004, it was with a Gigabyte board, chipset by Nvidia. My last 3 MoBos have been ASUS, 2/3 graphics cards, 2 routers, and external soundcard.

I'm on a ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME now. The BIOS support pissed me off, especially when Intel pushed the security patches, "**** 3 gen old boards even if they were really expensive", although last time I was on Gigabyte they didn't fix a major bug in their BIOS that Nvidia had pushed a fix to them because "**** 3 year old boards". I've bought ASRock and MSI too, not had an issue with them. ASUS stuff is nice, had some fatal flaws with their peripherals, it tends to look nice and have pretty software, but you pay the ASUS tax +5-10% compared to everyone else.

Edited by AwesomeOcelot

37 minutes ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

I'm on a ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME now. The BIOS support pissed me off, especially when Intel pushed the security patches, "**** 3 gen old boards even if they were really expensive", although last time I was on Gigabyte they didn't fix a major bug in their BIOS that Nvidia had pushed a fix to them because "**** 3 year old boards". I've bought ASRock and MSI too, not had an issue with them. ASUS stuff is nice, had some fatal flaws with their peripherals, it tends to look nice and have pretty software, but you pay the ASUS tax +5-10% compared to everyone else.

I'm also on Rampage V currently... So you know where I'm coming from...I think the wifi driver for win 10 is still beta on the asus site... Also I don't know if you know this, but if you change any of the parameters for the CPU in bios (overclock, xmp profile, etc.)  adaptive voltage doesn't work for the cpu, they claim it's an intel issue and never fixed it.

I think I'm going to roam the support pages of the top end boards for various manufactorers and see when they had the latest bios/driver before I decide on my next mb.

All the brands' support has been pretty decent for Zen, with a few oddities mostly from ASRock and ASUS. My GB x370 Gaming 5 has had BIOS updates up until July this year for the 3000XT processors, so couldn't have asked for much more.

For 500 series Gigabyte and MSI in that order have the best regarded boards.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Sarex said:

I'm also on Rampage V currently... So you know where I'm coming from...I think the wifi driver for win 10 is still beta on the asus site... Also I don't know if you know this, but if you change any of the parameters for the CPU in bios (overclock, xmp profile, etc.)  adaptive voltage doesn't work for the cpu, they claim it's an intel issue and never fixed it.

I think I'm going to roam the support pages of the top end boards for various manufactorers and see when they had the latest bios/driver before I decide on my next mb.

I didn't bother to overclock, my 5820K wasn't a good overclocker. I just looked the problem up and apparently a Rampage V E died and degraded Buildzoid's 5930X. Bleeding edge is fun, but being on a more mature platform has its advantages. I was on a 2500K /w ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3, it was an amazing overclocker and the platform was very solid, the drivers were great.

A Windows security update broke AI suite one time, error message, wouldn't run. It took ages for ASUS to post an update, and when they did it must have been from another branch for other MoBos because half the stuff doesn't work on it and it looks completely different.

One of my ASUS routers bricked just after a year. My first ASUS external soundcard wouldn't start from cold, so if the power went out, you'd have to use a hair dryer or plug the USB data port into a 5V power to increase the resistance for it to turn on. The second one fixed that bug, but the drivers sometimes refuse to switch input or randomly switch to an unconnected input. Any loyalty I had for ASUS is long gone, I had a long string of perfect products for a few years.

Contemplating the ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero or the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, already pre-ordered the Ice Giant Pro Elite to cool.

Also need a new power supply, 1050 watts should suffice, a superclocked 5900X or 5950X (I'm gonna go with whichever can get realistically hit the higher clock speeds) coupled with a power guzzling 3080 simply gonna be too much for a mere 750, despite Ryzen's impressive thermals. 

I got some work cut out for me that's for sure, and that's after breaking the bank.

56 minutes ago, ComradeMaster said:

Contemplating the ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Hero or the Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, already pre-ordered the Ice Giant Pro Elite to cool.

Also need a new power supply, 1050 watts should suffice, a superclocked 5900X or 5950X (I'm gonna go with whichever can get realistically hit the higher clock speeds) coupled with a power guzzling 3080 simply gonna be too much for a mere 750, despite Ryzen's impressive thermals. 

I got some work cut out for me that's for sure, and that's after breaking the bank.

I pre ordered the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite on 21st March, and it wasn't going to arrive until January. I had 3 emails about delays, 3 shipping estimates, September, November, and December.

ASUS are releasing a Crosshair VIII Dark Hero for the Zen 3 launch. Those boards are so expensive though. The Aorus Master is faultless, but also overkill.

The 3080 FE can hit 368w without mods. I would look for a 1200w if you're going to push it. Although in real world loads it shouldn't top 900w, should be around ~800 max.

7 minutes ago, AwesomeOcelot said:

Crosshair VIII Dark Hero for the Zen 3 launch.

90A power stage on a regular ATX?  Sold!

Also, 1050w is fine, overclocking is generally overkill anyway.  I was thinking I would hit around 950 absolute max and give it 100 for breathing room but if that's not powerful enough I'll simply tone it down a notch.

My journey towards a new PC started yesterday with a couple of piecemeal purchases. A 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD (from Amazon UK) and a Noctua U14S (from Newegg Taiwan) will be arriving in the following weeks. No rush on the build as such though - as I've said before, the schedule will probably be dictated by AMD's release calendar beyond this first wave of Zen 3 CPUs so it may well run into the new year. In the meantime I'll just ready the parts that aren't likely to age while I wait. I'll plug the SSD into my current system immediately of course, replacing one of the 250GB ones currently in there since I'm out of SATA ports and it's not worth buying a SATA expansion port for short-term usage. That means my SSD storage will consist of a 500GB SATA M.2 system drive, plus 1x2TB, 1x1TB and 2x250GB 2.5" disks. That's probably enough for a few years yet so I'll likely migrate all four of those SATA disks to the new system to live alongside a new NVME system drive. (I should probably go look up how many SATA ports current B550 boards typically have)

Next purchases will probably be a case and PSU, but I'm a bit worried since I'm back working at the office now and without a car would have some difficulty lugging a case from the local post centre if I miss the initial delivery. Nonetheless the likely candidates are probably a Fractal Design Define 7 in white (because my current Define case is black) and a be quiet! Straight Power 11, if the current special I see on it is still current by the time I'm ready to order. Otherwise maybe the ol' reliable Corsair RM750X.

Rest of the system is far more volatile of course but in terms of price guidance I'll probably look to the hypothetical 5600 or 5700X CPU depending on value, and whatever Navi model ends up competing pricewise between the 3060 and 3070.

P.S. I believe the only two motherboards I've used which have ever died were both MSI. But to be fair to them, one was on my Pentium 3 600, and the other on an Athlon XP I built for my parents. :ninja:

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Unless you are planning on HARDCORE  overclocking 1000 W is overkill. I know Seasonic made a statement about how you may need 850 W for Ampere, but consider the source. Seasonic are in the business of selling power supplies, they would be most appreciative if you spent as much on one as possible.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸