The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

15 hours ago, Lexx said:

The Expanse s5 trailer is out.

Amazon will air the first 3 episodes on Dec 16th, and after that only 1 ep weekly, same as The Boys.

I hate it. Folks are praising it for "keeping the buzz going" (lel), but let's be honest, this only happens because they want people to spend money on a 2 month subscriptions before canceling, and not just 1 month. There's simply too many different streaming services now and nobody will pay for all of them anymore.

Holy mother of spoilers! Wtf are they doing? Well, maybe it is not obvious for people who haven't read the book.

Maybe they will start in the middle of book 5 and do a "x months before" to show how they got there.

sign.jpg

On 9/25/2020 at 5:04 PM, Sarex said:

Raised by Wolves, 8 out of meh. I skipped though most of the scenes after episode 5 to see where the story was going and color me not impressed.

Seems there was one more episode... It improved my opinion of the story somewhat, less convoluted I guess.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

I feel like it's better to stop watching entirely than starting to skip scenes. At this point, why even waste more time on it?

Binged through season 2 of Attack on Titan. It's probably the most "epic" feeling and intense anime I've watched so far. It has some slog moments, but all in all it's quite captivating.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

6 hours ago, Lexx said:

I feel like it's better to stop watching entirely than starting to skip scenes. At this point, why even waste more time on it?

I'm interested enough to see where the story is going. Besides I already watched half of it.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 10/10/2020 at 8:06 AM, InsaneCommander said:

Holy mother of spoilers! Wtf are they doing? Well, maybe it is not obvious for people who haven't read the book.

I haven't read the books nor have I seen actual spoilers but the obvious plot point from the trailer

the belter guy's Martian tech stealthed asteroid hits earth

was set up fairly obviously last season. If it's something else then I guess it isn't all that obvious.

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

I haven't read the books nor have I seen actual spoilers but the obvious plot point from the trailer

Hide contents

the belter guy's Martian tech stealthed asteroid hits earth

was set up fairly obviously last season. If it's something else then I guess it isn't all that obvious.

Yes, that is what I'm talking about. It was set last season, but maybe some people would have forgotten. Anyway, there is at least one more spoiler there, but you would have to pay attention to notice since it is not obvious and it is shown for a brief moment only.

sign.jpg

Problem is that I have read about all of that already on Reddit, because there are so many people writing "hints" and think they don't spoil anything with that ...

• Sad 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

^  I've reached a point where if I sorta like a new series first few episodes enough to wonder what happens but still not enough to dedicate sit-still hours to it, I just read the wiki episode/character synopsis'. The internet has saved me countless hours in this way. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Years ago when I got into dabbling in JDoramas (ie, amusingly subbed Japanese tv series) one of the ones I ended up watching was a generally silly slice of life/romance called Hana Yori Dango (translates as Boys Over Flowers) about the four playboy sons of leading tycoons at an elite school and how their life gets disrupted by a "commoner" girl who ends up a student there.

Now as I was idly flicking through Netflix I found 15 years on there's been a Korean remake of it. I am tempted to see just how well the amusingly adolescent cheese translates...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 10/10/2020 at 9:08 PM, rjshae said:

Second season of Warrior has begun on Cinemax. I'm looking forward to it.

This is such good news, I loved the first season....yaaaaaaaaaaaaay :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 10/9/2020 at 3:06 PM, InsaneCommander said:

Maybe they will start in the middle of book 5 and do a "x months before" to show how they got there.

Hm I really should have kept on going in the series, was bored of Holden et al. by the second book

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 10/13/2020 at 5:11 PM, InsaneCommander said:

Book 5 is the best. Some consider it "The Empire Strikes Back" of The Expanse.

I gave up on the third one, was pretty by the numbers, I found.  Maybe I should stop reading fiction :lol:

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Discovery season 3 started for those who are interested, I imagine not a lot.

Oh, I watched it, because even though I gripe a lot and probably will hate it I still am the type of person that makes a fandom so easily exploitable.

Well on the other hand, I'd pay for Netflix anyway, so I might as well watch what they were up to.

Oh boy. Discovery Season three is going to be Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, just without Hercules as High Guard captain. And with a lot less force lances.

Oh, wait, is there anything to say about the episode? Well... no, not really. It was 50 minutes of super pointless action, two minutes of feel-good from Dr. Dolittle where he turns out to not at all be what we expected him to be (surprise!) which makes all his interaction with Michael prior to that moment really dumb* and half a minute dedicated of the most ridiculous reason for changes to the universe ever invented.

The Federation fell, because one day out of the blue almost all of the dilithium in the galaxy decided to explode. It is an even referred to only as "The Burn" and makes dilithium a scarce commodity. It may or may not be entirely controlled by an Andorian/Orion joined venture (or the Syndicate, but that would require continuity so nah).

Well that makes turning the Federation into Trump's America thanks to a Romulan plot involving an ancient secret order embedded in the Tal Shiar and a terror attack on Mars using Android slave labour that managed to ignite Mars' atmosphere positively brimming with creativity and sense.

Oh, and lest I forget, the two of them spend an entire montage scene WALKING from the crash site to a trading outpost / warp courier station. Walking. Even though Courier Book actually has portable transporters that show up being used in an overlong action sequence five minutes later. Really?

* I can't stress enough how dumb this is. This is so really, really, really, really, REALLY dumb that it hurts. Wow.

Courier Book is Dr. Dolittle and can talk to animals, and he's stealing and smuggling endangered species to sanctuary worlds to save them. He meets Michael whom he calls a true believer, some weird leftovers of the Federation. Michael talks a bit how the Federation wasn't just ships and warp drives after she learned that dilithium at one day just said "F*ck that, I'm outta here" - although given the state of the franchise is that any wonder? - but a vision.

All this time he plays the part of a Courier, the warp pilots working for the Orion Syndicate whatever it is the Orions and Andorians do. Plays the hard ass, robs Michael of her gear to pay for dilithium, gets caught so we can have a chase sequence and more pointless shooting and close quarter combat, then we see the endangered transworm eating the bad guys, then gobbling up Michael, then spitting her out... and then, only then Book gets the idea that maybe he shouldn't treat her with suspicion and distrust, and he promptly shows her what he's really doing. Because otherwise that transworm would end up being sashimi.

And at the end both go to some Indian weirdo who manned his Federation post for the past 40 years even though the Federation is gone who scans for Federation ships within a 600 light year radius and only finds two, and none of them is the Discovery. Aw, too bad. He can't say more because woops, all the long range sensors are damaged and nobody can repair them apparently. Yay.

Oh, also, the writers of Discovery still have no sense of scale. Granted, most sci-fi writers don't, but these people apparently go out of their way to get measurements wrong. See, the Gorn experimented with wormholes at one point and they destroyed two "light years" of space (so let's assume we're talking about two cubic square meters) and that was such a catastrophe that everyone now thinks wormholes are a bad idea.

Yep.

Two light years. That's like yuge. Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Like Trump's hands.

Oh, and warp speed travel is apparently done with Quantum Slipstream at this point in time. That's fine, I guess. Voyager did bring that stuff home after all. Ho-humm.

Edited by majestic
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

On the recommendation of a (younger) friend, I tried out an anime show called My Hero Academia some weeks back. I had looked at some of the character designs (and read about their personalities) in advance and thought, "hey, even though I pretty much universally hate anime shows, maybe this could actually be okay, these characters seem like they could be cool". I have since learned what the genre label "shonen" means and that it is unlikely that I would ever like anything in it, because that was one of the worst shows I've ever made myself watch a few hours of in a futile attempt to like it. It was despicably awful.

On the other hand, a different friend also coincidentally sent me a funny clip from some other, much older anime called Sailor Moon, and I thought it seemed hilariously stupid a la Dragon Ball (which, while I don't love, I at least can enjoy to a degree because of how silly but sort of likably dumb it is). I've watched a few episodes now, and I'm not going to lie: it not only delivered on how stupid I expected it to be, but actually vastly exceeded it. Big thumbs up from me, I'll almost definitely finish at least the first season.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

About Star Trek Discovery season 3:

I don't disagree with anything majestic wrote. I think the main problem is the writers. They don't do either proper build-up for the scene or proper consequences for the scene, or both. Like in the very beginning Burnham crash lands on a planet and gets a serious injury. She has to Will herself to stand up through the pain. She has to Will herself to walk through the pain. And that's it. That injury plays no part in the rest of episode and definitely not in the very next fight scene.

Everything is like that, even the "dilithium just exploded" stuff. Sure Federation is no more, but why is dilithium still used? Do they think it wont explode twice? Or why hasn't races who didn't use dilithium risen to power? Shouldn't Romulans be top dogs now with their artificial quantum singularity engines?

If you think about almost any scene in that show for even a moment, it starts to break down.

Edited by kirottu
  • Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.