The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

17 hours ago, kanisatha said:

As a huge military history buff, I love movies of 20th century wars. But this one looked suspect from its trailer, as yet another effort by today's movie-makers to 'reimage' history based on their values and feelings. So this is useful feedback.

I just started on another gripping series but this time its about WW2

Its called World on Fire and is more of a drama and how it impacts different groups of people in relevant WW2 countries .  Its set in the tumultuous times of  pre-WW2 and then the actual war. Only one episode in but its got huge potential 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_on_Fire_(TV_series)

• Thanks 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Finished Cobra Kai season 2 today. Wasn't as good as the first season. Too much forced drama and a predictable storyline. Guess a tv show doesn't automatically get good just because you pour lots of money on it.

Also binge watched The End of the ****ing World season 1 and 2. That show was awesome. Thought they wouldn't be able to deliver good with season 2, but to my surprise it was a perfect continuation.

Kinda digging these 20 minute episode shows. They come with a lot less filler and are often more on point. Need to find me more such stuff.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

Finished Cobra Kai season 2 today. Wasn't as good as the first season. Too much forced drama and a predictable storyline. Guess a tv show doesn't automatically get good just because you pour lots of money on it.

Also binge watched The End of the ****ing World season 1 and 2. That show was awesome. Thought they wouldn't be able to deliver good with season 2, but to my surprise it was a perfect continuation.

Kinda digging these 20 minute episode shows. They come with a lot less filler and are often more on point. Need to find me more such stuff.

I enjoyed the second season, I am not sure more or less than the first season . Its like I mentioned earlier, sometimes I would think I was watching a teenagers series but I still kept watching it so I clearly was enjoying it :lol:

But how do you know they poured money into the second season, I didnt think the budget seemed much more than the first season based on a guess around costs of filming and props ?

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

The first season was made for YouTube Red, and the second season was made by Netflix. That's quite a step-up. Also the main cast has increased in size, which means there was more money.

As I said before, season 2 felt just way too predictable to me. Found myself waiting for the next obvious chapter in the story, which again and again sadly turned out to be exactly what I thought it would. 😕

My wild guess for season 3 is that Cobra Kai dude will somehow get together with Miagi-Do and they will be the good force vs. the evil Cobra Kai.

Kinda sucks. I liked the show when it was primarily about Cobra Kai, with subverting old cliches, etc... now it slowly transforms back into the old good karate dojo vs. bad karate dojo. Meh.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

https://www.thegreatblight.com/post/all-the-changes-coming-to-the-wheel-of-time-television-series-so-far?

For those that might be interested...

If my job is protect the spine and the heart of what's there, sometimes that is changing things, because sometimes if you did them exactly as they were, a new audience to it wouldn't actually understand the heart of what's there because a lot of it's expressed inside someone's head or it's expressed by a character that gets a POV chapter in a way that we can't really do on television.

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

It was clear pretty early on it to production that it wasn't going to be 1:1, the biggest question that remains to be answered is how much of the content they are going to cut.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Watched one episode of Intelligence.  I guess the show might work, but David Schwimmer doesn't suit the role.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

7 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

That article reminds me of how much Ive forgotten about the books.

Gfted1 you should do what I did, I have never read this epic fantasy saga....so I can never forget anything about it ...its genius so that way you wont be disappointed by any comparisons  :thumbsup:

John Milton 

Finished the new Lucifer season. Not great, not bad; not particularly worried about the relationship drama nor the rather abrupt ending (obviously due to covid rather than writing per se) but it does rather have one glaring flaw which so very many shows have in exactly the same way...

There isn't even a scintilla of mystery or speculation as to who a serial killer might be if you've introduced a grand total of one new recurring character over the course of the season. OK, it's probably not intended as much of a head scratcher but still...

1 hour ago, HoonDing said:

I don't remember any LGBTQRS in the books at all.

There were some "pillow friends". Minor characters only. Aran'gar and an Aes Sedai. And a Seafolk woman and other character I don't remember.

Edit: Ok, Aran'gar is not a minor character.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

They pretty much hit the nail on the head with Cobra Kai season 2:

Edited by Lexx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zoraptor said:

Wasn't Aran'gar technically a lascivious bloke rezzed into a hot woman's body as a bit of irony/ punishment? Or am I misremembering?

(loads of implied same sex stuff with the female Aiel and Aes Sedai, can't think of any male homosexuality though)

IIRC, Robert Jordan said the Dark One didn't really care about punishment or what a body looks like. He wanted to discipline to have his minions working properly and to give them a body that allows them to do what he wants. In Aran'gar's case it was not about punishment I think. Maybe he wanted to give a female body because

Spoiler

Nobody would suspect a woman would channel Saidin.

Anyway, Aran'gar definitely falls into the LGBT+ since she is either a lesbian or a bissexual and a transgender.

sign.jpg

12 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

IIRC, Robert Jordan said the Dark One didn't really care about punishment or what a body looks like. He wanted to discipline to have his minions working properly and to give them a body that allows them to do what he wants. In Aran'gar's case it was not about punishment I think. Maybe he wanted to give a female body because

Reveal hidden contents

Nobody would suspect a woman would channel Saidin.

Anyway, Aran'gar definitely falls into the LGBT+ since she is either a lesbian or a bissexual and a transgender.

It was both I think, just not on the level of other Forsaken who fell/failed after him. Also I think it was Moridins decision to do that, as I recall he made most of the decision for what happens to Forsaken who fell/failed.

I don't think that Jordan spent much time thinking about having LGBT++ characters in his book.

• Like 1

On 10/2/2020 at 8:00 AM, Sarex said:

It was both I think, just not on the level of other Forsaken who fell/failed after him. Also I think it was Moridins decision to do that, as I recall he made most of the decision for what happens to Forsaken who fell/failed.

I don't think that Jordan spent much time thinking about having LGBT++ characters in his book.

Actually, I'm now remembering Aran'gar being angry when brought back. Was it Shaidar Haran who said that would pass? "The mind bends to the body" or something like that.

sign.jpg

37 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Actually, I'm now remembering Aran'gar being angry when brought back. Was it Shaidar Haran who said that would pass? "The mind bends to the body" or something like that.

Yep, he was the one who "welcomed him".

The Expanse s5 trailer is out.

Amazon will air the first 3 episodes on Dec 16th, and after that only 1 ep weekly, same as The Boys.

I hate it. Folks are praising it for "keeping the buzz going" (lel), but let's be honest, this only happens because they want people to spend money on a 2 month subscriptions before canceling, and not just 1 month. There's simply too many different streaming services now and nobody will pay for all of them anymore.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Yeah, I hate weekly releases now. I just wait until it's all out for every show that still does it or tries to bring it back.

it is ridiculous so many show on streaming platform still release weekly

what is the point

^ I won't even watch weekly release shows for "free" (eg, the "big networks" / ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX etc)

Speaking of those networks, Netflix now has the 1st season of a show called Evil. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9055008/
Apparently a CBS series, which was marked for a 2nd season so at least there will be more at some point, if I end up wanting more.  It's a sort of "movie-Catholic evil/miracle" x-files, with two non-believers and one believer as the church-hired investigators who verify or debunk.  The first episode is pretty attention grabbing and even occasionally amusing. 2nd and 3rd episode were kind of "meh". The 4th episode was attention grabbing again. Wonder if that's going to be the pattern.  :D

Anyway, I think it's worth a look and trying at least those 4 episodes (there's 13), at least if you like the sound of the premise. 

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts