The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

On 9/6/2020 at 3:41 AM, InsaneCommander said:

I really liked the first three episodes of Raised by Wolves. If the show can bring some surprises and keep the quality it's gonna be good.

The first three of The Boys season 2 however left me disappointed. Not that they were bad, but I need more right now.

I do think The boys is still good, but it did feel like I was watching episodes 9, 10, and 11 of season one instead of first three episodes of season two.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

3 hours ago, Lexx said:

Wait, they are working on yet another Star Trek show that will turn out to be garbage?

Seems like someone's decided they're going to try and squeeze every last dollar they can out of that franchise before they drive it into the ground.

• Sad 1

Cobra Kai. Pretty good even if predictable.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

7 hours ago, Lexx said:

Wait, they are working on yet another Star Trek show that will turn out to be garbage?

Even broken clock is right twice a day. So maybe this time will be different.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I've been rewatching the first seasons of Bleach anime.  That Soul Society rescue-Rukia arc (season 2?) is the best period of that series, imo.  Well, if you like action and all the sword/combat mythology of it, anyway. Even most of the silly humor works. Although the over-garrulous, talking-antagonist syndrome is wearying, if still a bit amusing.

4 hours ago, kanisatha said:

Seems like someone's decided they're going to try and squeeze every last dollar they can out of that franchise before they drive it into the ground.

They decided that a long time ago.  And even if it dies down/stops a while, it'd likely that after ten to fifteen years, they'll dust it off and try yet again.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, kirottu said:

Even broken clock is right twice a day. So maybe this time will be different.

Hopefully. They claim it's a return to the old episodic with overarching plots and optimism type Trek but since it still has mostly the same writers my expectations are low. 

• Like 2

Free games updated 3/4/21

I believe its supposed to be a series of one off episodes with percolating story lines over multiple episides.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

3 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Hopefully. They claim it's a return to the old episodic with overarching plots and optimism type Trek but since it still has mostly the same writers my expectations are low. 

I looked up "star trek strange new worlds writers" on Google, and the first article I click on has noted hack fraud Alex Kurtzman's ugly mug as one of the story's cover images, with him listed as one of the main writers.

1d1.jpg

• Like 2

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

From what I've seen of Discovery/Picard, some of the fan-made episodes of Trek I saw on YouTube were better. They should try hiring some fans or maybe some of the earlier Trek-novel authors as scriptwriters, maybe.   ;)

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

16 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Akiva Goldsman was actually the bigger negative for me

But yeah, I'm not expecting it to be much different from Discovery and Picard since it's coming from the same people

In my ideal dream world the creative writing team behind a new sci-fi show would be Robert Hewitt Wolfe, Ashley Miller and Zack Stentz. Doesn't even need to be Trek, although arguably RHW's best work was indeed on Trek (he wrote DS9 episodes like The Wire, Hard Time and A Call To Arms :)).

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Kinda sad but I've heard, since I still haven't seen it, that Lower Decks is the most "Trek" of all the new shows.

I think you can really tell any story that you'd like to in the Star Trek universe so long as you actually understand how to make it work.. or care to. You can't just put generic grimdark drama! in a Starfleet uniform and call it a day.

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

A slightly different streaming tip here, but this South African documentary below, released in August on Netflix, is IMHO a masterpiece and one of the best nature documentaries I've ever seen, and I've seen a lot, as part of my daily work - the astonishing photography, the surprising knowledge it conveys and the emotional personal man-animal-storyline shown are all outstanding achievements in their own right. Phenomenal stuff:

My Octopus Teacher

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12888462/

• Like 2

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

I haven't watched a single episode of new trek and from how much everyone seems to hate it that seems to have been a good choice.

My fiance is watching some **** about a fox that does death metal karaoke to deal with a **** job and it's pretty good. I finished Cobra Kai's current seasons already and think it has out 80's movied the 80's. Next I think I'm going to get around to season 3 of West World and hope it didn't get ****ed up.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

I guess because CBS doesn't have any shows to put on because of Covid, they are going to be running ST: Discovery on the broadcast CBS channel. So I finally get to watch it. Based on all I've read here I have very low expectations. But it *is* ST, so I'll give it a go.