The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

I watched the last four episodes of the man in the high castle last night. I didn’t love the ending but it certainly wasn’t terrible. They really missed an opportunity to explore a concept that I found very compelling. Despite his mastery of the system he was in and his climb to the pinnacle of that system John Smith hated the NAZIs. But when he could finally cast them off , when he could stop it all he didn’t know how. That has been building up the entire show and in the final episode we only got two scenes to explore it. All in all though that was 40 hours well spent in my opinion

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

I started rewatching Netflix's the Witcher, because why not. I'm noticing lots of tiny details now everywhere, which is pretty cool. But I also realize once again that if I wouldn't have read the books plenty times, it would have been impossible to follow all the timeline jumps. There is so much jumping around, but visually everything looks the same... Sometimes they drop names and stuff to give you a hook for where you are in time, but if you are unfamiliar with the story, it'll mean nothing or you will likely just miss it completely.

Also, again, the show feels too fast at times. It's like ... you can't miss a beat and have to run through everything. Meh.

• Thanks 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

To go in that quirky niche thing..  A fan has re-edited that fairly terrible Wheel of Time pilot that was done on a budget one weekend in an attempt to keep the rights...

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/09/02/terrible-wheel-of-time-pilot-reedited-snyder-cut-winter-dragon-reborn/

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

2 hours ago, Skazz said:

I've been rewatching this cool new show called Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Don't judge me.

I am too. An episode a week. I'm nearing the end of season four.

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I suddenly have a massive urge to rewatch Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess. I LOVED those shows back in the day and I'm quite confident I will still love them now. As an extra bonus, enough time has passed since I initially watched them that it will almost be like watching them for the first time. Almost.

I imagine they're available on pretty much everything.

• Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

21 hours ago, Amentep said:

I like season four a lot. It's late enough so that the likes of "Conspiracy" do not feel like a fluke anymore and yet early enough to be still far, far away from the horrors of "Sub Rosa".

Except that one episode where Geordi turns into a glowing space chameleon thing. What the hell.

Edited by Skazz

On 9/4/2020 at 2:51 PM, Skazz said:

I like season four a lot. It's late enough so that the likes of "Conspiracy" do not feel like a fluke anymore and yet early enough to be still far, far away from the horrors of "Sub Rosa".

Except that one episode where Geordi turns into a glowing space chameleon thing. What the hell.

It wasn't awful, but like a lot of the weaker (IMO) episodes, it is sort of half baked.  Like they could have used a couple more script passes to better work out the ideas they were working with.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 9/3/2020 at 2:25 PM, Amentep said:

with air quality in nor cal so terrible, am forced to get our cardio indoors. 

am not sure why, but we started watching hell on wheels while doing cardio. get 5-6 episodes a week. ~45 minutes per episode is perfect length to get us a good stretch. 

might not be fair to say am watching the show, but is inexplicable more tedious to do 45 minutes in silence. is not a particular bad or good show but there is a couple interesting characters. 

*shrug*

colm meaney is a hell on wheels regular and so too is the new christopher pike. am mentioning such just to make relevant to the star trek discussion and to exercise our previous stated opinion that all off topic posts is star trek relevant w/i a few degrees o' separation. 

kinda sad dominique mcelligott had her ned stark exeunt. she plays queen maeve in the boys, a show which also stars karl urban, who played mccoy in the new star trek films.  every post is a star trek post.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

We often skip episodes depending on which character is the main focus in the A story.

I haven't seen the series since it ended, so am watching them all as a lot of them I just have at best vague memories of.

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

Was a short while I would look for stuff with Trek cast members in it but there was so much garbage. I happened upon Sirtis' bobs and Meaney's bits and cancelled that project.

I'll always have Reading Rainbow.

recommendation:

more people have heard of it as 'posed to seen it and context may be required as black & white gives false impression o' age o' the film. 1961. were a film 'bout the nuremberg trials, but were purposeful a criticism o' mccarthyism and red scare.  used parallels to reveal hard truths.

(don't watch the following if you have never seen the movie and have any serious thought 'bout doing so.)

Spoiler

*chuckle*

we recent included a bit o' latin to make a point in the politics thread: inter arma enim silent leges.

occurred to us after we made the post, ds9 used the phrase as an episode title.

is all star trek.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

19 hours ago, InsaneCommander said:

I really liked the first three episodes of Raised by Wolves. If the show can bring some surprises and keep the quality it's gonna be good.

The first three of The Boys season 2 however left me disappointed. Not that they were bad, but I need more right now.

The Boys is just more of the same for me, so it kind of lost its shock factor, still ok. Still on the fence on Raised by Wolves, will need to see more before I see where I stand with this show.

Edited by Sarex
  • Thanks 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

2 minutes ago, Sarex said:

The Boys is just more of the same for me, so it kind of lost it shock factor, still ok. Still on the fence on Raised by Wolves, will need to see more before I see where I stand with this show.

not sure what the problem for us is, but have tried three times to watch the boys s2:e1. amazon insists we are at the 47 minute mark, but this must be one o' those weird event horizon time paradoxes 'cause it sure feels as if has been many hours. 

we will eventual muscle through the last fifteen minutes or so, but at the moment watching the boys is work as 'posed to entertainment... and is not as if the episode is particular bad neither. 

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

Kinda hate how they only released the first 3 episodes, otherwise I probably would have tried to binge through it this weekend. S2e1 was indeed kinda...... long... but then it got better again, imo. Biggest issue was that it felt like there is no progress happening. They are in this constant limbo and the story just hovers around in there. Truth told, this doesn't feel like a tv show that should go on for potential 10 seasons. They should probably wrap it up somewhat soonish.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finished my second go of the Witcher. The best part of it is probably the music. Very fitting and well done. Also I don't mind the casting of Triss anymore. Guess folks back then were just in shock because game Triss looks extremely different and gamers don't like this..

Damn, I want season 2 now.