The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

My wife and I both hated it. Probably the worst Trek finale.

As much as I complain about stupid decisions just so things can happen I did like 4th season overall. That's my biggest problem with the show, they take minimal, if any, precautions and then predictable stuff happens because of it.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I liked Enterprise (somewhat distant) 3rd after ToS and TNG.  Yea yea, Enterprise had a lot of issues, especially the first season. I just liked it more than the others. The last episode was supposed to be some weird general-Trek farewell valentine for fans but it backfired.  DS9 had some good episodes here and there early on but the eventual shift to the melodrama and politics of that war or whatever it was - it could be good writing I guess, don't get me wrong, just not my thing, like how the TNG Klingon culture episode stuff was not my thing - and I stopped caring/watching.

I should give Voyager another shot one day. I only saw some of the first season, maybe a bit of the 2nd here and there, and for some reason (outside of the virtual doc) I found myself bored more often than not.  But like most of the non-ToS Treks, sometimes it takes a couple seasons for them to get going.  

ToS was the opposite - last season was the worst overall (still had some good episodes tho). Heh.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

3 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

I should give Voyager another shot one day. I only saw some of the first season, maybe a bit of the 2nd here and there, and for some reason (outside of the virtual doc) I found myself bored more often than not.  But like most of the non-ToS Treks, sometimes it takes a couple seasons for them to get going. 

VOY had a semi-decent run of good episodes from the third to the fifth season, and even then it is uneven. Depending on how much you enjoy Borg villain decay the Borgisodes are either good fun or ruin the most frightening Star Trek villain ever created.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

T

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I am watching Season 2 of The Rookie, so far its as good as the first season :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lovecraft_Country_(TV_series)

HBO has released a new series called Lovecraft Country and I started watching it, I am thoroughly enjoying it. Its a horror, drama based on the HP Lovecraft world and it has huge potential 

John Milton 

Amazon Prime Video - wait, there is/was a Law and Order UK? Several seasons worth? How come I didn't know before.

It's an easy formula to replicate so I find it quite watchable. A little more sedate than the US one perhaps but essentially the same.  I found my new "watch something for an hour before I fall asleep/don't care if you sleep in the middle" thing. Which is great since I was running out of those.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 8/24/2020 at 11:38 PM, majestic said:

VOY had a semi-decent run of good episodes from the third to the fifth season, and even then it is uneven. Depending on how much you enjoy Borg villain decay the Borgisodes are either good fun or ruin the most frightening Star Trek villain ever created.

y'know, precise 'cause o' your observation, is our opinion the best thing to happen to trek in a long time has been netflix and similar streaming services. voyager had good and even excellent episodes, but we cannot watch a season o' voyager. 

clockwork-orange-eyes-open.gif?fit=565,3

enterprise also had a few fantastic episodes, but we can't pick a good season much less a watchable one. 

tos, tng and ds9 all have patches o' episodes which is tough slogs.

netflix makes so we may à la carte our trek menu.

discovery and picard is a bit problematic for us 'cause they is less episodic, not available on netflix and, well, bad. so am gonna suggest netflix (and the like) has made trek more watchable today than ever and is the best thing to happen for Gromnir's trek viewing in a long time.

HA! Good Fun!

ps we got a whole lotta criticisms o' netflix, but it has been a boon for our trek viewing.

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Apropos Star Trek, I LOVED DS9, even the stretches where it "dragged", it was just such a unique series in the franchise and had the overall best cast of characters IMHO. TNG was obviously great, even if they went to the oops time paradox well too many times. The OG series still holds up on cheese factor. I liked Enterprise, but mainly because I'm a sucker for Scott Bakula, and the show delivered in the sexy Vulcan department. The stories themselves were pretty meh. I could never get into Voyager, even with the eye candy.

• Like 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

So sad about Altered Carbon

Guess that'll give me the final push that I needed to read the novels, so it's not all bad... yeah.

Looks like I was one of two people on the planet that liked season two. But what do I know, I also loved watching Dark Matter and it got shafted hard. :(

• Sad 1

The new season of Lucifer didn't really grab me all that much anymore. I noticed they picked some very crazy different murder cases this time around, which in itself is good. But what I didn't liked was all this annoying relationship back and forth between the Detective and Lucifer himself. These "I love you, but do I really love you, but you didn't said you love me yet" shenanigans... so annoying. Kinda funny, because to me this feels very american. Like, bro, stop with this over-analyzing bs.

Can't stop thinking of some teenagers who just got together after months of drama, just to start drama after the first few days "just because" ... it's exhausting.

I guess the reason why this feels so american to me is because their romances (in movies) are always so hard about "bro, y u no say I love you" ... as if that crap matters. Another funny is how this reminded me of Sons of Anarchy, where the characters tell each other "bro, I love you" and in the next scene they are trying to kill each other. It's hilarious how they are watering down "love" as a concept.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

2 hours ago, Lexx said:

I guess the reason why this feels so american to me is because their romances (in movies) are always so hard about "bro, y u no say I love you" ... as if that crap matters. Another funny is how this reminded me of Sons of Anarchy, where the characters tell each other "bro, I love you" and in the next scene they are trying to kill each other. It's hilarious how they are watering down "love" as a concept.

Wouldn't say it's specifically a US thing, it's more that popular US series tend to have a lot more episodes per year and a lot more seasons than the average popular show elsewhere. If you're looking to fill an episode order and are running out of fresh ideas relationship drama is an easy way to eke out the ideas you do have. There is also a certain subset of people who do absolutely love relationship drama too.

(Most egregious example for me was the BSG remake. Late/ mid S3 felt like every single episode was interminable Lee/ Kara relationship drama filler with exactly the same problems and plotting. I think it was that point which made me start hoping that either the Cylons won or that Zarek/ Baltar/ [anyone] would flush every self absorbed character out an airlock)

The third season of BSG was really marred by how obvious it was that the writers had no idea what to do with the show after exhausting whatever creative ideas they have had in the first two seasons and the opening of season three on New Caprica, which I would say ranks very high among the finest hours of sci-fi on TV.

Afterwards the show fell into a hole of meh and finished the season with the most ridiculous revelation/plot twist in the history of ever. After that not even the ending of the show was a letdown, although it rivaled the nonsense ending of Mass Effect 3.

I thought Baltar's Trial was very good. Always an interesting question whether it's better to pointlessly resist an overwhelming enemy or try to minimise the damage, and it was done well.

The Cylon revelation and Starbuck randomly appearing otoh was obviously meant as a hook, but was just incoherent and dumb.

All in all it was still a pretty good show, especially at the time back then. Rewatched it a couple times even. Only thing that still annoys the hell out of me are the awful cliff hangers in every episode. Now you can just binge everything and it doesn't hurt so much anymore, but back then you had to wait a full week for the next episode and that completely ripped me out of it every single time ....

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 8/27/2020 at 10:44 PM, majestic said:

Guess that'll give me the final push that I needed to read the novels, so it's not all bad... yeah.

Looks like I was one of two people on the planet that liked season two. But what do I know, I also loved watching Dark Matter and it got shafted hard. :(

I enjoyed a lot of season 2, added more flesh to the universe so to speak. It's interesting to see the fallout from how they mashed certain characters from the books together in season 1 and changed things for a different media format.

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Watched the first half of season 5 Lucifer. Has an odd feel, every episode so far is a shift in perspective from the "normal" setup and structure of an episode. Some minor emotional ups and downs, a few chuckles, a dash of creative backstory.

Then in the opening of episode 5 "Detective Amenadiel" I have the first serious laugh our loud moment. 

Chloe's  "I'm going to stick to police work, and avoid anything God-related."   <scene cut to slow camera pan> "Sister's of the Divine Path" and a dead nun, along with the music intro of "Personal Jesus".

• Like 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1554369/

Started watching The Booth at the End via Amazon Prime because I noticed Xander Berkeley was in it and I like him. I guess it started as a webseries, then they clumped episodes into five 30 minute "episodes" (2 seasons). Thus the editing of the episodes may feel a little strange. Anyway, if you haven't seen it before, it's worth checking out.  It's all told in dialogue, chrs. speaking of what they're doing/done, and the first episode may feel confusing at first but it's great. Too bad they never made a 3rd season.

Edited by LadyCrimson