The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

4 hours ago, Gromnir said:

ps absence o' inner light makes sense, in a way, but am thinking it showed the rlm guys were perhaps trying a bit too hard to not just copy/paste every other internet top tng list. 

IIRC, in the first part, they specifically stated that these are their "favorite" episodes, and not any attempt at determining the "best" episodes, which have different criteria. I think they also said it was extremely difficult to pick just 5 and there were a number they could've just as easily picked instead.

(e): Nice, at the end of this, they said they were down to make a "top 10" to continue listing five more each.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I'd love if they did DS9, especially if they forced Jay to watch it too, but I'm content with what they've put out and the hope of more TNG goodness.

I can fairly easily do a worst 5 DS9 episodes list.

• Move Along Home
  • Let He Who is Without Sin 
  • The Storyteller
  • The Passenger
  • Profit and Lace

Actually that wasn't that easy as there are a few other stinkers I don't care for like Valiant, The Muse, and Time's Orphan. I don't really care for any of the Mirror Universe episodes either but some are a lot worse than others. 

A top 5 episodes list would probably change every time I write it.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Wow, the forum software just ate my 10000 word essay on how I can understand why The Inner Light and Darmok were left off Mike and Rich's respective lists. Sigh. Not going to type it up again, but I argued that The Inner Light was a great episode but "merely" an interesting sci-fi story that could have happened in any other sci-fi show as well and that Darmok has a premise that is too similar (even if executed in a wildly different manner) to Arena and that the popcultural impact of Arena far exceeds that of Darmok. TNG's Arena would be Best of Both Worlds.

So, anyway. No mention of Schisms, The Chase or Frame of Mind. I'd put one or two of those on the list. :)

edit: I think Mike's approach to creating the list based on episodes he looks forward to the most during a rewatch is sound. Might be a fun exercise.

On 8/6/2020 at 12:50 AM, majestic said:

Hm. I'm almost expecting Mike to troll Rich and put Sub Rosa on the list. :p

There, called it! Sort of.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Decades of forum-posting have taught me to always CTRL+C any post that is longer than a paragraph at most before hitting post. If it took you longer than five minutes to write a post, then you're technically no longer even logged in (timed out), and I imagine that causes weirdities.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

30 minutes ago, majestic said:

Wow, the forum software just ate my 10000 word essay on how I can understand why The Inner Light and Darmok were left off Mike and Rich's respective lists. Sigh. Not going to type it up again, but I argued that The Inner Light was a great episode but "merely" an interesting sci-fi story that could have happened in any other sci-fi show as well and that Darmok has a premise that is too similar (even if executed in a wildly different manner) to Arena and that the popcultural impact of Arena far exceeds that of Darmok. TNG's Arena would be Best of Both Worlds.

So, anyway. No mention of Schisms, The Chase or Frame of Mind. I'd put one or two of those on the list. :)

There, called it! Sort of.

am not certain why some kinda nebulous star trekness would be an essential quality for a best or favorite episode. chain of command, for example, were inspired not just a little by the movie closet land and had input o' amnesty international. watch closet land and tell us chain o' command were fundamental trek. just one example. we mentioned how we preferred family to best of both worlds--were a more complete and better executed bit o' storytelling than the more famous two-parter which preceded.  no doubt amentep or some other hardcore film buff would be able to astound us with just how many tng episodes were remakes or heavily inspired by previous sci fi title from print or film. 

'course again, am willing to admit we ain't the ideal audience as we prefer ds9 to tng and a large part o' the reason for our preference were the willingness o' ds9 to be different than trek and to play a bit loose with some o' what had previous been considered core values o' the trek franchise.

HA! Good Fun!

ps is noteworthy that the visitor episode, which has more than a couple parallels to inner light, would consistent make a Gromnir favorite ds9 list, though such a list would be a bit fluid and the order o' episodes would vary from year-to-year and perhaps even month-to-month. am a big fan o' ambrose bierce.

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 3

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm assuming it's because of covid, but there's a serious lack of newer movies to rent or that come to things like HBO etc.  Most are low-rent B flicks (US or otherwise) or a few indies doing VoD releases.

So I tried Netflix's Project Power (haven't finished it, I watch while pedal-exercising). Has a good cast.  It's a ton better so far than Bright.  Still, I feel like I've seen too many things like it. The first 40 minutes feels like setup and introduction, which seems too long for that.  But it's decent enough to give a try if one is into its concept at all.

I think this is a good time for an 80's/early 90's fave film binge.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 8/17/2020 at 4:02 AM, LadyCrimson said:

I'm assuming it's because of covid, but there's a serious lack of newer movies to rent or that come to things like HBO etc.  Most are low-rent B flicks (US or otherwise) or a few indies doing VoD releases.

So I tried Netflix's Project Power (haven't finished it, I watch while pedal-exercising). Has a good cast.  It's a ton better so far than Bright.  Still, I feel like I've seen too many things like it. The first 40 minutes feels like setup and introduction, which seems too long for that.  But it's decent enough to give a try if one is into its concept at all.

I think this is a good time for an 80's/early 90's fave film binge.

many netflix movie seems to have the same ''first half looks cool but second half feels like run out of budget and crush into a nonsensical ending"style

not sure why so many different writer and director can produce such similar result

They probably just think of a cool setting, and everything else comes later... which then shows.

Honestly, right now I can't even remember the last good Netflix movie I have seen. I don't even want to start watching any nowadays, because I feel like they will just bore me to death anyway.

In other news, I'm really craving for The Dark Crystal season 2, but nobody is talking about it anymore. :o It's already one year since season 1 release ...

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

8 hours ago, Lexx said:

They probably just think of a cool setting, and everything else comes later... which then shows.

Honestly, right now I can't even remember the last good Netflix movie I have seen. I don't even want to start watching any nowadays, because I feel like they will just bore me to death anyway.

You trippin'

• Like 1

Haven't seen it. Maybe I'll check it out in the coming days.

Last one I saw was that movie with the Thor guy. It had some nice looking scenes, but at the end of the day was still predictable and boring.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

You trippin'

That had she-elephants break down in tears.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Dunno if someone posted this before but I liked it.  Going to post it here since it's kinda TV related.   😛
I'm not sure but I feel like she didn't use the actual "Enterprise" opening credts theme, I think it's one of the chr's themes.  Unless it became the opening theme in later seasons. Not sure.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm up to the final episode of Enterprise and I'm pretty happy that it's almost over. The last 2 parter was especially frustrating with all the stupid so things can happen stuff. I should mention that I skipped the mirror universe episodes because I hate that stuff and skip them on DS9 as well. I doubt I'll ever rewatch it but I'm glad that I gave it a go and often forced myself to keep watching because even though it was often lazy and super sloppy it had (not faith of the)

1*nWlkYWHsYChkpJMotuPDdQ.gif

and at least felt like Star Trek.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Hmmm 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

I'm sorta tempted to get HBO Max, mainly for Westworld, but it's so comparatively expensive to other streaming platforms. Is there anything else on there (don't care about GoT) to make it worth the money?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

7 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I'm sorta tempted to get HBO Max, mainly for Westworld, but it's so comparatively expensive to other streaming platforms. Is there anything else on there (don't care about GoT) to make it worth the money?

I just did a month so I could watch Birds of Prey. But there are a few good shows to binge. The first season of True Detective, Barry, and Silicon Valley.

There are also a bunch of quality documentaries.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Boardwalk Empire, The Deuce, and Lovecraft Country off the top of my head. There's also Leaving Neverland, but it's pretty ****ed up.

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

Been watching a lot of King of the Hill, I tell ya what.  Certainly has a formula, but is enjoyable. Hank as a pimp was the high water mark.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

On 8/21/2020 at 9:50 AM, ShadySands said:

I'm up to the final episode of Enterprise and I'm pretty happy that it's almost over. The last 2 parter was especially frustrating with all the stupid so things can happen stuff. I should mention that I skipped the mirror universe episodes because I hate that stuff and skip them on DS9 as well. I doubt I'll ever rewatch it but I'm glad that I gave it a go and often forced myself to keep watching because even though it was often lazy and super sloppy it had (not faith of the)

1*nWlkYWHsYChkpJMotuPDdQ.gif

and at least felt like Star Trek.

Let me know what you thought of the final episode. I hated it because it cheapened the show just as I thought it started to have good episodes but your experience seems to have been a bit different with the final season so the cop out pseudo-timeskip might not bother you as much.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.