The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Amazon is easy. Free 2-day shipping pays for itself. 

Some of this stuff is going to fail and have to join with others (looking at you CBS.) But it also is why we are getting a ton of new and fairly unique content. Shows no longer get cancelled any more, they just jump services. Firefly would have ran 20 seasons in this market and we would all complain about how bad it has become. It is a glorious time.

obvious  alternative:  show a little restraint and instead o' subscribing to multiple streaming services, one wait and rent discs when they become available. 

madness.

does result in being spoiled, which is annoying, but such behavior saved us from recent star trek disappointments.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

4 hours ago, rjshae said:

What I really dislike is the growing balkanization of TV content. There's a lot of good content being produced, but it's spread out over a slew of different providers. If you're not a subscriber, you'll not be able to watch it.

If I ever felt a tiniest, slightest, most minuscule pang of conscience about :skull:ing TV stuff, this right here would be my justification. Well, that and "This content is locked in your region" bullsh†t. Whenever I see that thing, I feel irresistible urge to find and download locked content  even if I had no initial interest to ever watch it.  🖕😠🖕

2 minutes ago, bugarup said:

If I ever felt a tiniest, slightest, most minuscule pang of conscience about :skull:ing TV stuff, this right here would be my justification. Well, that and "This content is locked in your region" bullsh†t. Whenever I see that thing, I feel irresistible urge to find and download locked content  even if I had no initial interest to ever watch it.  🖕😠🖕

you do realize you are posting on a software development message board, yes? media piracy is understandably viewed unsympathetic by your hosts.

oh well.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I do Amazon Prime, HBO/Starz through Amazon Prime, a couple other small streaming thru Amazon (like Smithsonian and some classic old b&w series channel) Viki (Korean), Netflix.  Still way cheaper than the Comcast cabletv option.

Not that I like the separation and monthly fee very much, either (edit - although I do prefer no commercials thus willing to pay for that...) But I've also stopped caring if I miss some new show because I'm not subbed to something. In my case, if I'm not subbed, I don't care enough anyway.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

2 hours ago, ShadySands said:

We just dropped Hulu Live for regular Hulu because we rarely watch anything live and they've increased the price on us several times.

I don't know if it's called Live but I went from free Hulu to no-commercial monthly Hulu, then dropped it all because really I almost never even open/use Hulu. Also, I hate their (PS4) UI interface. Hate hate hate it.  😛

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Haha 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I never liked firefly, not sure what people liked about it, and I am into sci_fy... 🤔

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

11 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

I never liked firefly, not sure what people liked about it, and I am into sci_fy... 🤔

Same, although in my case it was partially because of hype backslash. Everyone around was like "OMG Firefly :woot: teh bestest thing on TV :w00t:", so I watched and was all, "Meh. Farscape did it better". 

13 hours ago, Chilloutman said:

It had some potential and was cancelled so people think it might be better than it would probably be.

166215__front.jpg

3 hours ago, Skarpen said:

It had some potential and was cancelled so people think it might be better than it would probably be.

It had 13 episodes that were all good. No-one ever got to see a bad episode per se, just a couple that weren't as great as the rest.

The chemistry between the actors, the dialogue that Whedon wrote, it all clicked together as a great whole. It left a lot of people wanting more and wondering just what it could have delivered if Fox hadn't screwed it over.

Edit: And don't get me wrong, I love Farscape, but it hit different Sci-Fi buttons for me than Firefly did. Sure, you had that over-arcing "Mixed crew becoming family as they exist on the fringes of space" idea, but they were exploring different things and going with some different themes.

Farscape had the time to really develop the various characters in-depth and show their evolution, it showed them becoming family and changing their goals and what they were doing as it happened. 

Firefly was much more of a family protecting their "home" from the very beginning.

Edited by Raithe
  • Like 2

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I started watching The Man in the high Castle today. Three episodes is and I'm into it a little bit. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

22 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I hate that I'm their exact brand of perfect sucker. I don't like much of anything they've put out and yet I always come back for more just because it says Star Trek.

Yep. I'll be watching Star Trek: Lower Decks the moment I can. The I will most likely come here to complain about it. Le sigh.

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Before watching the trailer, I was thinking "you know, you could probably do some pretty cool stuff with an animated Star Trek show that would've been very difficult to do - or at least do well - with a live-action", but then I actually watched the trailer, and yeah, nah, I'm good.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

So Rick and Morty got into Starfleet?

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands