The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

36 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Watched all three seasons of Future Man. I liked it a lot, despite some nonsense included for fun (the effects in some time travel jumps).

I wanted to recommend it to a few friends, but the last episodes might be offensive to some religious people.

I watched the first season. I'm pretty sure if someone isn't offended by the stuff early on, they aren't going to take exception to some religious stuff. :p 

2 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I watched the first season. I'm pretty sure if someone isn't offended by the stuff early on, they aren't going to take exception to some religious stuff. :p 

Okay, I'll mention in the spoilers below. It doesn't ruin the story though.

Spoiler

Josh has an affair with Jesus.

Edit: btw, the second season is slower, but with shorter episodes. The third season gets better.

Edited by InsaneCommander

sign.jpg

I feel like it has lost a lot steam. I'm kinda forcing myself through s3 now, because it is the last one... but so far s1 was the best, parts of s2 were good too, but it noticeably went down.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

I think it is Saturday. Very anticlimactic.

One, Saturday is great we get to see the launch cause we're not at work
Two, It's going to rain Saturday. It's been raining nonstop in Florida, you'd think someone got pregnant from an angel or something.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Space force. I'm on episode 5 and I like it so far, which is really strange as I usually dislike American comedy and Steve Carell's type of acting.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

On 5/30/2020 at 4:39 PM, Sarex said:

Space force. I'm on episode 5 and I like it so far, which is really strange as I usually dislike American comedy and Steve Carell's type of acting.

absurdity doesn't work if reality are far more ridiculous

that take a lot out of the comedy

10 hours ago, uuuhhii said:

absurdity doesn't work if reality are far more ridiculous

that take a lot out of the comedy

Depends if you are on the receiving end of the jokes.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

Watched three episodes of Space Force.

Fantastic overall cast they assembled. That's about all I can say about it.  Most jokes misfire, the pacing is off (feels way too "try hard" like an uncomfy SNL sketch) and I laughed not once. Although at first I thought that might be because it's a form of deadpan (?)  that I just don't like (I was one of the few who didn't "get" or find The Office very funny, as well).  But this time I don't think it's just me. 

Anyway, positives were Fred Willard's small bits, Malkovich playing it (sorta) straight, and generally just getting to see so many known faces.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm pretty sure Space Force is a hell lot more fun to watch if you aren't living in the US. I agree it is seldom something to laugh out loud, but it is really amusing.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I've been getting my sports fix from HBO documentaries. I watched a 2-part series on Muhammad Ali. It is an interesting contrast to see his career after watching the Michael Jordan Last Dance series a couple weeks ago. Jordan came across as a win at all costs champ. He was hyper focused on that and would sacrifice anything else. Can't argue his greatness, but it can be hard to admire what he did to get there.

Ali, on the other hand, was willing to sacrifice his titles to do what he thought was right. He transcends his sport.

I also watched one on Kareem Abdul Jabbar. I was too young to really know much about him, but he also has a fascinating story. It made a great parallel story after watching Ali. He was a lot more likable than Jordan.

These were also good reminders that we've come a long way since the 60's. People tend to look at current events as if these are the worst times ever in history. They aren't. Get some perspective.  

35 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

These were also good reminders that we've come a long way since the 60's. People tend to look at current events as if these are the worst times ever in history. They aren't. Get some perspective.  

We all stand on the shoulders of giants who have sociologically, technologically, culturally, financially made our current lives possible, a great deal for the better but also unfortunately probably some for the worse. Perspective is always a good thing to have - though having it, I think, would also tell us that what we have is worth fighting for when other forces want to take away some of it or limit us in some other manner.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Rewatched DS9 "For the uniform". It's good to be reminded that not all old Trek is good.

The high point has to be Starfleet officers casually committing war crimes in pursuit of a personal vendetta and laughing about it in the end. Good times. I didn't remember this episode, but I think it would have killed Sisko for me -- if it wasn't so out of character for all involved, and consequences were so non-existent that it may as well have transpired in a dream or a parallel reality.

• Thanks 1

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

15 hours ago, 213374U said:

Rewatched DS9 "For the uniform". It's good to be reminded that not all old Trek is good.

The high point has to be Starfleet officers casually committing war crimes in pursuit of a personal vendetta and laughing about it in the end. Good times. I didn't remember this episode, but I think it would have killed Sisko for me -- if it wasn't so out of character for all involved, and consequences were so non-existent that it may as well have transpired in a dream or a parallel reality.

This is exactly what struck me when I recently re-watched the series. Those Marquis related episodes in the final season were awful, and I lost a lot of respect for SIsko's character and found myself rooting for the Marquis and against Starfleet.

• 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't go that far but I was surprised how there were no repercussions for that. The Maquis never made much sense to me but I'll leave that for another day.

Started another attempt at Enterprise and I'm just amazed at all the wacky adventures they get up to by just not listening to T'Pol or showing any kind of caution or restraint. I had to start back at the beginning because I've forgotten most of what I'd seen prior. Wife absolutely hates the theme song and it's always a race to hit skip into. She doesn't really care for it so far but she says it's okay for background noise our something to occasionally glance up at as long as you never think too deeply about what's going on. 

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

9 hours ago, ShadySands said:

I wouldn't go that far but I was surprised how there were no repercussions for that. The Maquis never made much sense to me but I'll leave that for another day.

Started another attempt at Enterprise and I'm just amazed at all the wacky adventures they get up to by just not listening to T'Pol or showing any kind of caution or restraint. I had to start back at the beginning because I've forgotten most of what I'd seen prior. Wife absolutely hates the theme song and it's always a race to hit skip into. She doesn't really care for it so far but she says it's okay for background noise our something to occasionally glance up at as long as you never think too deeply about what's going on.

Yet another thing where my preferences place me in the minority. I loved Enterprise, loved both Archer and T'Pol as characters, and yes even liked the theme song!:)  So it really bothered me that the Trekkie purists attacked the show so much that it ended up getting the axe. The things I love always end up getting the axe.

Edited by kanisatha

I binge-watched the short Barkskins series. It's actually pretty good. I could totally see an open world game based on that setting, although you'd probably spend a lot of time roaming the wilds..

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."