The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

Ugh, so I'm nearly at the end of 24 season 1 and it gets harder and harder for me to keep watching. The story started to drag already after episode 10 and there had been 14 more ... Some of these story twists are tedious bloat and I really wouldn't mind seeing them cut out. Not sure if I will be able to watch more once I'm done with season 1.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Finally got around to watching the final season of Game of Thrones. I'm not really the kind of person that lets a bad episode or ending ruin a stellar show. I will definitely say there was too much sentimentality in this last season. It was a big departure from previous seasons, and I found myself checking the time left regularly. But overall I was happy to get to the end of nearly two decades of storylines in Westeros. I started with the books, but now I don't really care if he finishes it or not. The pieces are in place and I'm happy to move on with my life.

The last season makes the couple of seasons before it even worse. I find myself not wanting to ever rewatch it due to how terrible its ending is.

That zombie episode with Sam/Brienne/Jaime constantly surrounded by zombies but not dying is the prime example of the showrunners giving up, and giving in to cheap tv tricks. There is no dialogue anymore, no organic development...just a cluster**** of major events happening without proper buildup, and character development as a result is a total mess.

I actually look forward to the remaining book (I think he'll only manage to release one more before he goes) to see what could have been.

Edited by Maedhros
Typo, and weird sentence fix

I am taking full advantage of the HBO series available on our local DSTV and plan to watch all seasons of Boardwalk Empire, another brilliant and entertaining series 📺 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

5 hours ago, Maedhros said:

I actually look forward to the remaining book (I doubt he'll only manage to put more than one before he goes) to see what could have been.

It's nice to see such optimism!

George Martin said that if he hadn't finished writing the next book by the time he came to New Zealand this year we could lock him up at the old sulphur mine on White Island until he finished. Of course, White Island happens to be a volcano and erupted killing a bunch of people, so no one's going there any time soon. And now there's coronavirus so he couldn't even get to the country to be imprisoned on White Island anyway. We are never getting another book, the whole thing is cursed. There's probably passages in Nostradamus and Revelations talking about the Winds of Winter.

• Like 1

I watched Underwater. First expression after watching it was:

I mean there was potential and visuals were great but 0 character development or world building was big drawback, also lead actress was really bad. All her expressions were same. I was never sure if she is sad, scared or depressed. She always looked same xD. It felt like movie should have been hour longer,

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

9 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Haha well, maybe this lockdown actually means he'll get the time to write the damn book!

He stated often enough that he only writes at home. Which, understandably, led fans to be extremely miffed every time he blogged about not being at home.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

There is another brilliant series on HBO called The Outsider, it is based on a book by Stephen King and is a mystery, murder  horror ...very compelling and I have only watched 1 episode

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(miniseries)

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

On 4/22/2020 at 12:54 PM, Bartimaeus said:

Samurai Jack. I'm halfway through season 1. Though slightly inconsistent, it's been pretty good. Enjoying it so far, don't know if I'll be able to watch 5 seasons of it, though.

One of my favorite animated series. Aku!!! A novel aspect of the show is how little dialogue it uses. It has won eight Emmy awards. The storyboard artist, Bryan Andrews, also worked on Star Wars: Clone Wars.

• Like 1

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

31 minutes ago, rjshae said:

One of my favorite animated series. Aku!!! A novel aspect of the show is how little dialogue it uses. It has won eight Emmy awards. The storyboard artist, Bryan Andrews, also worked on Star Wars: Clone Wars.

It also seems like on the not-strictly-plot-essential episodes, it's often better when there *is* less spoken dialogue, too. The Three Blind Archers in particular was very good in S1.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Started watching the South Korean show Kingdom yesterday. It started slow but then turned out to be pretty good. Now I can't stop watching it.

• Like 1

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

On 4/26/2020 at 4:11 PM, rjshae said:

Makes sense, Genndy Tartakovsky is the creator of both shows.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Me and the girlfriend watched all of Lucifer over the course of a few weeks. 

Prior to that was two seasons of Blacklist.

Lucifer is Good, although I think they start to fall into their formula to much by the third season. It's based on the Vertigo series and the original ending (season 3's ending) is kinda bad. Netflix picked it up for a season and a half, although that lingering half is still being edited. It's basically your standard "police procedural" set in LA, with Lucifer forcing himself into cases because he likes to punish people (as the former lord of Hell), eventually he becomes a Sherlock style "consultant".

Blacklist Is enjoyable but not. It moves far to slowly for it's arcs to really feel strong, and the further along it goes, the more obvious it becomes ego-stroking. I watch it, but the girlfriend gives me glares when I start pointing out how much the show loves Raymond.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

On 5/4/2020 at 5:13 PM, Arcsurvivor said:

I am watching The Last Dance.  The interviews with Michael Jordan, other Bulls players, and opponents makes this an insightful documentary to watch.

Same here

I thought I was pretty familiar with that time in basketball and the Bulls in particular but at best I barely knew the half of it.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Watched The Boys. It was very good, though I found it a bit grating that every single one of the 'bad' superheroes we learned anything about kind of wanted to be an actual superhero but were held down by the corporate machine, except for Homelander- and even he was the way he was because of the corporates. Also Karl Urban's english accent was all over the place.

Also watched The Terror. Good as well, but probably spent just too much time on build up- time on the ships, mostly- as opposed to pay off, and some of the ancillary threads like the ladies trying to organise a search expedition were pretty pointless in the greater scheme of things. Guess without that it would have been a complete sausage fest though. It also never really explained the main bad guy's appeal and how he was able to attract anyone; a complete novice caulker who hadn't been on a ship let alone an arctic expedition does not make a compelling alternative to someone, anyone, who has. Nevertheless, very well shot and excellently acted, and recommended with a few reservations.

Currently watching The Expanse and The Magicians (because apparently I only watch series that start with a definite article nowadays). Haven't seen the later series of either.

4 hours ago, Calax said:

Netflix picked it up for a season and a half, although that lingering half is still being edited.

Two and a halfish Netflix season potentially and pending agreement from Tom Ellis- it's been successful enough that they're trying to add a season 6 too.

6 hours ago, Calax said:

Blacklist Is enjoyable but not. It moves far to slowly for it's arcs to really feel strong, and the further along it goes, the more obvious it becomes ego-stroking. I watch it, but the girlfriend gives me glares when I start pointing out how much the show loves Raymond.

I could watch James Spader play Raymond Reddington all day long and not get bored. As an avid X-Phile I'm also constantly impressed by how coherent the plotting appears to be. I'm sure it isn't, but for something that's running that long and deals with layers upon layers of conspiracies not falling prey to the Chris Carter Effect (tm) or featuring a completely tangled mess of a kudzu plot is pretty impressive.

Picard, on Prime: Perhaps the best Star Trek series for me to date, and I am something of a Trekkie. It's prolly me just being a sentimental nostalgic Borg-fan sap, but it's really good.

*** "The words of someone who feels ever more the ent among saplings when playing CRPGs" ***

27 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Then you're the only one who likes it. 😆

Fixed that for you.

5 hours ago, IndiraLightfoot said:

Picard, on Prime: Perhaps the best Star Trek series for me to date, and I am something of a Trekkie. It's prolly me just being a sentimental nostalgic Borg-fan sap, but it's really good.

De gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum.

But it's really hard not to reply. On the other hand it would just be a rehash of everything posted before. If I had to choose between watching Picard again or driving a rusty nail up my scrotum I'd very much pick up a hammer. Without a second thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think GD liked it as well but he also liked what they did to Luke in TLJ IIRC

The only person I personally know who liked Picard is my dad and I'm considering taking a DNA test because of it.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Free games updated 3/4/21