The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

The Sinner via Netflix - watched 1st episode of this series a long time ago, forgot about it. Finished the two seasons available (there's a 3rd, not on Netflix yet). Both were good. A bit of a slow burn pacing but good stuff.  Each season is a different case, with Bill Pullman's repressed detective chr the only constant. First two seasons were both 8 episodes, a decent length for it.

Jessica Biel in the 1st season and the child actor + Carrie Coon in 2nd were highlights.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Anyone seen The Plot Against America yet? I love much of David Simon's stuff (The Wire, Generation Kill, Show me a Hero), but have found some of his shows kind of hard to get into (Treme and The Deuce). Should probably give it a chance.

So... I have been feeling this urge to watch Brooklyn 99. Maybe it's the subliminal Facebook advertising, I dunno. Anyhow, for some reason, I'm also kind of wary. I can't really put my finger on why.

Is it any good? Can anyone recommend?

What little I saw of it seemed silly to me.  Not that silly is bad, I liked Scrubs.  But it didn't grab me.

• Thanks 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

32 minutes ago, Amentep said:

What little I saw of it seemed silly to me.  Not that silly is bad, I liked Scrubs.  But it didn't grab me.

Scrubs is a good comparison. It is not a serious look at police work. But if you don't like Andy Sandberg, it would be hard to get into.

Edited by Hurlshot
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Anyone seen The Plot Against America yet? I love much of David Simon's stuff (The Wire, Generation Kill, Show me a Hero), but have found some of his shows kind of hard to get into (Treme and The Deuce). Should probably give it a chance.

Seen the first 3 episodes. For a show that will focus on people who will (I presume as it didn't fully occurred yet) fight against discrimination and persecution it's a bald move to not have a single likable main character. Maybe there is some concept to show how people change and raise in the hard times, I don't know. On a technical side it's a good quality show.

• Like 1

166215__front.jpg

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

The series finale of Modern Family was weaksauce. What a disappointing way to go out. :( 

I enjoyed the first four seasons, thought the fifth one was alright but getting weaker, and bowed out early into the sixth. How many more could they have made? ...Oh my gosh, they made ELEVEN seasons? ...I guess it's not The Simpsons or Spongebob levels of beating a dead horse, but still, that must have been a number of seasons too many.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Agree with @Bartimaeus. I quit watching that show around season 6 or so as well.

Really sad to see Hawaii 5-O ending. A very rare instance where I loved the original show and then loved the reboot even more! After ten seasons that show still remained fantastic. But I totally get O'Loughlin's need to walk away, and the show ended while still enjoying high ratings. Good for them.

Watched Picard. It was... OK and I don't regret watching it, though I think I would have struggled if watching it weekly rather than over a week.

It completely fell apart in the last couple of episodes and had a substantial number of head scratching moments before that but I think that STD has largely inoculated me against the stupid and sufficiently lowered expectations so that I could park brain in neutral and not rail overmuch against the dying of the logical plot progression. I liked Victor Frankenstein and Captain Aramis (except for the stupid accented holograms) and the rest of the cast was generally OK, most of the problems they had was with inconsistent characterisation- but also no absolute standout like Captain Malfoy or Pike from STD. Though I do have to admit I've always liked Peyton List perhaps a little more than her pure acting deserves. I even got a few lols from the Mass Effect parallels.

Also watched Dark on Netflix. From the name I was expecting something a bit, well, dark, but despite its name and being German it's actually an uplifting show featuring time travel and a cast of well adjusted characters whose carefree lives are seldom blighted by any trouble*. Highly recommended.

*yeah okay, there might be one or two character flaws on display, and the odd bit of trouble. But nothing you wouldn't expect of a picturesque small German town next to a nuclear power plant in a show called 'Dark'.

Edited by Zoraptor

I still haven't continued with Picard. I feel like there's a lot better stuff that I can waste my time with. Such a disappointment.

• Like 2

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

5 minutes ago, Lexx said:

I still haven't continued with Picard. I feel like there's a lot better stuff that I can waste my time with. Such a disappointment.

Same and have been looking for some decent sci-fi but have been coming up empty after Altered Carbon

Free games updated 3/4/21

I've been binge watching Better Call Saul during quarantine and have almost caught up with what is airing on TV. This show is damn excellent. I had been sleeping on it for years, unfortunately. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joels344 said:

I've been binge watching Better Call Saul during quarantine and have almost caught up with what is airing on TV. This show is damn excellent. I had been sleeping on it for years, unfortunately. 

Today's episode was tense. If you watched Breaking Bad, then you can't help but wonder what will happen with some characters.

• Like 1

sign.jpg

I haven't seen today's episode yet, but up until last week's I enjoyed this season of Better Call Saul more than the previous ones. It showed that while you can set a show to the backdrop of forgone conclusions there's still a place for drama, tension and good fun. The ongoing hostility between Lalo and Gus is kept to its barest necessary minimum (and in itself utterly boring unless you haven't seen Breaking Bad yet) for the rest of the drug story to work while the Mesa Verde stuff was good fun - just please stop with the Jimmy does something montages. They're getting a bit old.

But Jimmy being threatened is boring, and a full episode with him and Mike hiking through the desert? Nah, count me out. Jonathan Bank's age also has beomce a huge crack in my suspension of disbelief.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

18 hours ago, majestic said:

But Jimmy being threatened is boring, and a full episode with him and Mike hiking through the desert? Nah, count me out. Jonathan Bank's age also has beomce a huge crack in my suspension of disbelief.

I agree, I was surprised to see how beloved that episode was. I saw people claiming it was one of the best episodes of TV ever, which surprised me considering Breaking Bad (and other shows, like The Sopranos) already had similar types of "lost in the wilderness" episodes.

Looking forward to watching the newly released episode though. Very curious about what will happen to Kim in the end.

Also, seconding Zoraptor's Dark recommendation.

Edited by Maedhros

We're not really getting a Star Trek Picard Re:View of the final two episodes. It seems like Rich really doesn't want to talk about it. :p

He's baaaaaaaaaaack! ;)

Mike must have really hated the ending.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I started watching 24 because it popped up on Amazon Prime and I had nothing better to see. Never watched it back in the days ... turns out it's actually not so bad.. in fact, it's quite captive. It still has bits of the old 90s feeling, where everything was kinda cheesy, but you also feel how it's not really *that* anymore. Like... a bit of a middle ground between the "old" and "modern" tv shows.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."