The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

Eh, Trek Cannon's been broke since they retconned the nature of Vulcans with the TNG episode "Sarek".  😛

You'll get used to it after 20-30 years. ;) 

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

27 minutes ago, Amentep said:

Eh, Trek Cannon's been broke since they retconned the nature of Vulcans with the TNG episode "Sarek".  😛

You'll get used to it after 20-30 years. ;) 

I reject your conclusion there. Sure Spock stated time and time again that Vulcans have no emotions, but even TOS had Amok Time and introduced Pon Farr as a concept that very clearly shows that Vuclans aren't completely free of emotion and that they really need an outlet every now and then.

The Motion Picture also further implies that the final and complete emotional purge is a choice and that not every Vulcan can or need completely master (Kolinahr).

And while it really is the red-headed step child of the classic movies, The Final Frontier has a Vulcan that chose to retain his emotions.

TNG's Sarek was perhaps a soft retcon, but certainly not as egregious as pulling a long lost brother - or adoptive sister - of Spock out of the arse of a writer or two. ;)

(Klingons might be a better example, yes? ;)).

• Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Spock isn't a full Vulcan so shouldn't be seen as a template for the race. So his reactions in Amok Time can't be assumed to be typical. 

If you look at Phase II, Xon shows a lot of the pre-retcon approach to Vulcans - in essence he is Phase II's Data, trying to understand, and even fake,  emotions he didnt have in a vain attempt to understand the human crew.

Sybok is a fair point, though, coming about a year before the "Sarek" episode and also retconning Amanda Grayson as Sarek's second wife. Iirc. So perhaps it can be seen as the beginning of Vulcans-are-humans-with-pointy-ears-and-an-unhealthy-fixation-on-surpressing-emotions.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

6 hours ago, majestic said:

tribbles?  (spoilery part omitted)

What? LOL omg.

I have no idea what's going on in Picard show but that write-up of the finale had me in stitches. Sounds horrible.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

8 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

What? LOL omg.

I have no idea what's going on in Picard show but that write-up of the finale had me in stitches. Sounds horrible.

Why, yes. Lord Eomer Vaako McCoy finds out that Khan's blood can resurrect dead tribbles some five minutes before Kirk, in a role reversal from The Wrath of Khan, "sacrifices" his life in order to kickstart (literally) the Enterprise's warp core in Star Trek: Into Darkness. So instead of being Dead, Jim! Kirk is injected with the blood and yay, back from the dead.

I always imagine this is what happens during writers' meetings when they come up with complete and utter failures like that.

It's not really a surprise that Alex Kurtzman was involved in both Into Derpness and Picard. Can somebody give me a sock? ;)

• Like 1

I should rewatch that when I get done rewatching the 80s William Tell series, CROSSBOW.

after a moment o' reflection, we concluded the most recent robin hood tv show or movie we view positive, stuff wherein robin hood is a main character and not a single scene or episode kinda thing, is from 1976.

is a long time for an iconic character to be so ill treated by directors, writers and producers o' visual media. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

2 hours ago, majestic said:

Is that the Robin Hood show with the magic powers? I have a very vague recollection of watching that.

Had Herne the Hunter looking a bit like a Leshen from TWitcher 3, but it was more mysticism than outright magic if memory serves. Also had a very memorable Clannad soundtrack which I'd suspect would be the first thing most would remember about it ("Roooooooooooooobin, the Hooded Man")

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zoraptor said:

Had Herne the Hunter looking a bit like a Leshen from TWitcher 3, but it was more mysticism than outright magic if memory serves. Also had a very memorable Clannad soundtrack which I'd suspect would be the first thing most would remember about it ("Roooooooooooooobin, the Hooded Man")

I'm not entirely certain, I might be thinking of The New Adventures of Robin Hood. Because that was outright Hercules-ish. Although that is far too "recent" for me to only have vague recollections of it. 1997 feels like yesterday. Heh.

Wow, that show had Christopher Lee in it. Would have thought he'd be pretty memorable too, even if it was before Star Wars/ LotR made him recognisable to a new generation.

Checked wiki and you probably were remembering Robin of Sherwood, I remembered a lot of spooky lighting and the like for Herne etc but it looks like it had a fair bit more outright magic than I remembered.

Picard

I think everything in this show was done so they could have dramatic moments, but rarely any build up or consequence for the dramatic moment, because that might get in a way of another dramatic moment. The Borg cube is a perfect example: A dramatic reveal at the end of episode 1 and then nothing.

The worst part of the whole series for me was the "romantic scene" between Seven of Nine and Raffi. No build up for the romance or any signs that either of the characters might be gay. Just a single scene so the writer can go to twitter and virtue signal how progressive they are. And since it was just a scene, corporate bigwigs can cut it out for certain countries so it wont affect the profits. It was lazy writing to show progressive ideals without  actually standing up for those ideals in places where you actually still have to fight for those things. 

• Like 2

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

On 3/27/2020 at 12:56 PM, majestic said:

I'm looking forward to see if they get worked up over completely different things. I often (but not always, Mike and Jay both liked Cowboys and Aliens and I have no idea how the hell that happened) find myself agreeing with their general points, but not their examples. Last episode of Re:View Rich said that everyone is acting out of character, and that is completely true, but neither of them mentioned how jarring it was to have Troi call Picard out on acting out of character. For me that was the low point of the show.

The Twitter-level pandering in shows has gotten pretty bad among the big studios (Disney, for example, is hilariously terrible in this respect). I don't have any problem with LGBTQ characters (after all, I love Steven Universe which is composed almost entirely of them and I love them all!), but I really, really don't enjoy obvious pandering and token inclusion via poorly written and uninteresting characters and storylines. When a jarring and annoying character or character "twist" like that shows up, I just have to keep reminding myself that it's the bad writers' fault for making bad characters, and not anybody else's. Just like how women were very often written one of a select few ways throughout certain eras of cinema, so too are we going through a period here where companies are eager to show how progressive they are through lazy passive progressive character-writing (...instead of like, you know, actual interesting and consistently written and set up characters that exhibit a number of traits and mannerisms that make their character, LGBTQ or not, fun as well as believable, and hopefully relatable when appropriate).

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 hours ago, kirottu said:

Picard

The worst part of the whole series for me was the "romantic scene" between Seven of Nine and Raffi. No build up for the romance or any signs that either of the characters might be gay.

Seven of Nine quite clearly had a thing with Bejazal, not that it makes it any better in terms of writing. It was pandering all right, but not entirely to virtue signal, this is Star Trek (eh, in name at least) after all. But, umh, Seven being bisexual was pandering to the ridiculous Voyager fanbase that used to ship her with everyone and the kitchen sink way back when. It's been a while but that brought it back.

Feels a bit like that moment when Mulder and Scully finally admitted their feelings for each other so that every 'shipper on the planet can hug and sing Kumbaya together. Except those two had seven seasons of extreme on screen chemistry to make it believable. Seven has a one liner and a scene with Raffi after wanting to casually boff Ensign Kim on VOY and had a, dunno, thing with Chakotay.

Seven getting terrible romance plots is kind of the norm here. Heh.

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Seven of Nine quite clearly had a thing with Bejazal, not that it makes it any better in terms of writing. It was pandering all right, but not entirely to virtue signal, this is Star Trek (eh, in name at least) after all. But, umh, Seven being bisexual was pandering to the ridiculous Voyager fanbase that used to ship her with everyone and the kitchen sink way back when. It's been a while but that brought it back.

Feels a bit like that moment when Mulder and Scully finally admitted their feelings for each other so that every 'shipper on the planet can hug and sing Kumbaya together. Except those two had seven seasons of extreme on screen chemistry to make it believable. Seven has a one liner and a scene with Raffi after wanting to casually boff Ensign Kim on VOY and had a, dunno, thing with Chakotay.

Seven getting terrible romance plots is kind of the norm here. Heh.

I might have been bit too harsh with "romantic scene" being the worst part. It was just one of the last things in the last episode.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

I'm about halfway through Tiger King. So far someone getting their arm ripped off by a tiger is one of the least bizarre things in the show and I halfway expect Joe Exotic to end up being a jojo villain.

• Like 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

4 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Watched the Castlevania series on Netflix. Pretty entertaining, if you can force your brain not to care too much about the dumb stuff.

The third season I found extremely boring. Sypha is funny though regardless of season.

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

8 hours ago, Maedhros said:

Watched the Castlevania series on Netflix. Pretty entertaining, if you can force your brain not to care too much about the dumb stuff.

I could not and was out after the first episode

Edited by ShadySands

Free games updated 3/4/21

I loved every second of Castlevania so far. It's a fun romp and well animated, something that's otherwise usually lacking in Western animation.

It's no BoJack Horseman but it looks a damn sight better for sure. ;)