The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

57 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Is there anything inherently wrong with Hulu?

It's US only. That not entirely a negative, on the other hand, because much of what is on Hulu ends up being distributed by Netflix or Amazon here in commie Yurop. Heh.

Assuming Hulu isn't going to be fused with Disney+ eventually.

• Thanks 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

PS: One thing I really loath in Picard's visuals is all the lense flares all the time ... like, man, can you tone it down a little bit?

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I doubt it'll ever be folded into Disney Plus because they need a place to put off brand stuff. I wouldn't be surprised if it eventually gets rebranded though.

I use Hulu a lot because it has live TV but I hate that even the no commercial tier has commercials. Obviously, this is for the on demand stuff and not the live stuff.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Pull out an old VHS from the 80s to watch a program from 40 years ago and get a kick out of the kooky ads.

...assuming you still have a VHS and VHS player and you kept an old program you taped...

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Okay I just tried for a couple of minutes to come up with a post about the new episode of Picard, but it's impossible. It's like the plot of Mass Effect 3 except it makes a little more sense (not much, mind you).

And Brent Spiner plays a hitherto unknown son of Soong. Please for the love of Star Trek, make it stop. Someone. Anyone. Please. Make it go away.

• Sad 1

Looked into the Wheel of time series more. I don't like the choice for Nynaeve.

Egwene looks fine though.

I don't get the typical drama over skin colour; Two Rivers was isolated but bordering Arad Doman/Tarabon or whatever those were called.

Edited by HoonDing

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

None of them match what I had in my head, but that's to be expected - though Rand and Moiraine are probably the closest to doing so. My two favorite characters for most of the series were Mat and Egwene, and I especially don't like the choice for Mat upon a glance. The lady cast for Egwene seems like she might work. Nynaeve was the most horrifically annoying character not named Elayne in the actual books, so I can't say I particularly care. Maybe they'll go a totally different direction for her character and make her not an awful chore to listen to, :p. Think I got halfway through the series before I started skimming their parts because I couldn't take them anymore...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

"Nynaeve"

Never minded her much, she gets better as books progress while all other original girls (minus Min) get worse. Or maybe it's just that so many other horrendous females keep popping up every two pages.

• Like 2

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yeah Nynaeve actually gets better along the way, and is even somewhat sympathetic.

Two predictions:

1. Rosamund Pike will do well as Moiraine.

2. They'll misunderstand what makes Mat funny, and make him into a generic comic relief character with "funny" oneliners all the time (and people will love it).

• Like 1

On 3/20/2020 at 4:12 PM, HoonDing said:

"Nynaeve"

Never minded her much, she gets better as books progress while all other original girls (minus Min) get worse. Or maybe it's just that so many other horrendous females keep popping up every two pages.

I can only read "tugged her braid" and "smoothed her skirt" and "folded her arms beneath her breasts" (or whatever that phrase was) so many times before I lose my mind, and Nynaeve was the biggest offender for repetitive and pained writing, and it didn't help she was an otherwise unpleasant character for a number of books...and then, on top of that, she started mostly appearing alongside Elayne for a good stretch there as well, so the two started getting mentally paired for me. And Elayne is like...the epitome of the book telling me over and over how smart, strong, wise, clever, and powerful a character is, but every time I'm actually reading her parts in the books, she's just coming across as a childish and petulant dimwit.

...I also started reading these books when I was like 10 years old, so it's quite possible my sympathies, favorites, and least favorites would change with a fresh reading - though the last book didn't come out *that* long ago, the first one did, and initial impressions can last a long time (especially if you're not doing anything to fight them).

@Maedhros Dang it, you're probably absolutely right about Mat. That would really suck, because he was always the "let's have a break from the 'serious' story stuff and do some lighter-hearted and fun but still plot-meaningful adventure stuff". Count me out if they flanderize Mat from the start...

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

the letter for the king

very blend basic fantasy story

at least it is short and didn't try too hard to be special

the costume seems to be different compare to other middle age style show somehow

Edited by uuuhhii

15 hours ago, Maedhros said:

2. They'll misunderstand what makes Mat funny, and make him into a generic comic relief character with "funny" oneliners all the time (and people will love it).

Sanderson always said one of the reasons he had trouble writing Mat was he just didn't have the life experiences that Jordan could draw on. A lot of Mat's glibness as the books develop comes from that mix of memories he has, which gives him a totally different perspective on a lot of things most people his age have, not just on Ryan Reynolds style wisecracking. Which is why his humour feels different in the last few books that Sanderson authored.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

On 3/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, HoonDing said:

I haven't finished Wheel of time books and never will. Stopped at book 10 or so.

I don't even remember the book titles after the first five anyway.

stopped at book 4 or 5

really cannot remember all that character names

huh I never knew this gem was around xD

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Some good news, latest season of Ozark on Netflix :dancing:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Star Trek: Picard Season 1 finale.

What a dumpster fire.

The Borg subplot was a complete waste of time. Nothing happens with the cube. Seven does nothing except killing Narek's sister, whatever her character name was. Bitchsis Shojaaaht something or other probably. Oh, I guess Narek survived the finale but his fate is left open. Presumably the Geth Synths still have him locked up for his crime of, uhm, screwing Soji (both phyically and mentally, yay).

There is no dramatic tension in a character's death if you broadcast the possible resurrection five minutes earlier. Yay, so Picard died a couple of minutes after Soong's long lost son, the other Soong (who all look like Brent Spiner, what an incest family that must have been) finishes his little mind transfer machine. Three guesses what McCoy does after finding out Khan's blood can be used to resurrect tribbles?

Yeah, of course they mind transfer Picard. What ELSE could possibly be happening. But they also copy the body of Picard. Because, uhm, it would be awkward if Patrick Stewart suddenly had Android Superpowers (tm) and (r) Star Trek: Picard, they even call them superpowers.

Then they kill the copy of Data they have because, uhm, why not build a new body for Data. Oh, I forgot. Brent Spiner can now show up in any new Trek show without makeup. Data wants to die to give his life meaning.

Agnes and Rios are a happy couple, yay them. Raffi and Seven are too (wait, when did that happen?). Elrond Elnor is still around even though his quest is over (metaphorically, literally and dramatically).

We also got a glimpse of the Reapers Ch'Khalagu. Giant metal tentacles with red eyes. Yep. That's how higher synthetic life looks. The portal the beacon opens looks like Loki's portal that brings the Chitauri to Earth. Just painted red instead of blue.

Oh and then there is the little nano-bot-projector-replicator deus ex machina thingmajing Saga gave the crew to repair the La Sirena. It can fashion what the wielder thinks of out of thin air. They use it to repair the ship and later to instantly create a <treknobabble> thing to project hundreds of fake La Sirenas so they can position them between the planet and the Romulan fleet. Because screw it, why the hell not give Agnes a magic wand.

Oh, right, Agnes killing Maddox is completely glossed over.

Harry Potter Picard and Dumbledore Data also spend a couple of minutes talking to each other in King's Cross station a quantum simulation before Picard gets transferred back into his new and old body.

So the real question now: Is Picard worse than Discovery? Yes and no. That depends on how much you value classic Trek and Trek canon. Nothing what happens in Picard makes sense or is explained in the Star Trek universe, but at least it's a sequel.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

glad to hear there'll be a good RLM episode out of it

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

glad to hear there'll be a good RLM episode out of it

I'm looking forward to see if they get worked up over completely different things. I often (but not always, Mike and Jay both liked Cowboys and Aliens and I have no idea how the hell that happened) find myself agreeing with their general points, but not their examples. Last episode of Re:View Rich said that everyone is acting out of character, and that is completely true, but neither of them mentioned how jarring it was to have Troi call Picard out on acting out of character. For me that was the low point of the show.

• Like 1

We still haven't bothered with the last 2 or 3 episodes and re-cancelled our sub a few weeks back. Still have access for another month because of them giving it away but not sure if we'll even bother after reading what happens.

I do find it hilarious that Picard got the green ending

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 3

Free games updated 3/4/21