The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

So I watched season 1 of Sex Education and... I'm not sure what to think of it. On the one hand it has some interesting ideas and I kinda like the premise of the show. On the other hand I can't stop thinking that this was written by people who haven't had contact with young people for about 30 or so years.

At one point it was mentioned that the characters are supposed to be ~16 years old and I was like "oh, now that explains some things" ... I mean, these "kids" act nothing like kids at all. If you would put an actual teenager next to them, it would look like they dressed up a monkey that can't stop drooling or something.

While I was at it, I started guessing the actors ages like I did back in the days of Buffy and Co. You know, look at their skin, look at their posture, look at the hair and faces, how do they speak, etc. summarize everything together and you can guess their age pretty well. It's a fun little side game. Was pretty spot on most of the time, only with the male main character I failed ... thought he was something around 20, but he is actually 24. With his season 2 girlfriend I was wrong as well. Thought she was ~30, but she is 26. Oh well.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

If you take away the 4 years you were wrong with him and add them to her, you'd be spot on. 😛

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 3/3/2020 at 6:56 AM, Lexx said:

So I watched season 1 of Sex Education and... I'm not sure what to think of it. On the one hand it has some interesting ideas and I kinda like the premise of the show. On the other hand I can't stop thinking that this was written by people who haven't had contact with young people for about 30 or so years.

At one point it was mentioned that the characters are supposed to be ~16 years old and I was like "oh, now that explains some things" ... I mean, these "kids" act nothing like kids at all. If you would put an actual teenager next to them, it would look like they dressed up a monkey that can't stop drooling or something.

While I was at it, I started guessing the actors ages like I did back in the days of Buffy and Co. You know, look at their skin, look at their posture, look at the hair and faces, how do they speak, etc. summarize everything together and you can guess their age pretty well. It's a fun little side game. Was pretty spot on most of the time, only with the male main character I failed ... thought he was something around 20, but he is actually 24. With his season 2 girlfriend I was wrong as well. Thought she was ~30, but she is 26. Oh well.

It's frustrating how the show is occasionally brilliant in tackling somewhat problematic issues while switching between ridiculous love triangles in order to, uhm, I don't know, keep the target audience watching?

I mainly watched it because my early 90ies infatuation with Dana Scully never fully went away. As such it's time spent well enough. Heh.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yes, it's predictable on this level. I loath these always returning love triangles. It's like, as soon as one issue is solved, they introduce a new character to keep up a love triangle. For me this isn't producing an intense story, it's just making it very annoying.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

For some reason I had it in my head that S2 of Altered Carbon was 10 episodes like the first season. So imagine my surprise and disappointment when it all wrapped up in E8. :lol: Edgar is easily my favorite character and

it was nice to see him start to regain himself at the end. I was also glad to see that hes got Kovacs DHF!

Spoiler
1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

I was also glad to see that hes got Kovacs DHF!

Where / When did he get that, though? Felt like I missed something at the end, because there was never a point where they stopped and like "hey, let me run a backup quickly."

I was wondering the same thing, and my total guess is that

Edgar stored a copy of Kovacs DHF when they sent everyone into the "construct" to separate Quell from the "Elder".

The showrunner confirms that the DHF is Kovacs, but doesnt elaborate on when Edgar did it:

I spoke to Altered Carbon showrunner Alison Schapker about the moment, and got confirmation that the raw DHF data contains who we think it is. Poe has backed up Takeshi to his memory, and could bring him back in the future should he choose to do so. As for what that means for the future of the show, Schapker said that's a very good question.

Oh wow, this Picard episode was again an exercise in dumb. Picard acts completely out of character and promptly gets told off by Troi. She literally tells him to behave more like Picard would.

I AM NOT MAKING THIS UP. I mean... I honestly hope I'm just sleeping and this is a nightmare, but I doubt that.

Oh and speaking of dumb, I just found this little gem:

Arguing with Star Trek Picard that that Hollywood moved too far left and that the "left" messed up Star Trek is pure comedy gold. I wonder what Rich thinks about that video. Good ol' Sargon of Akkad. Wait, I thought YouTube banned that assclown?

Edited by majestic

20 minutes of bla bla, so he's saying we think the Picard show sucks because it is different kind of left wing now or some garbage? I'm confused.

Edited by Lexx

I have just finished the latest season of American Gods and it was excellent, 8/10

I'm confused about some of the aspects of the plot but I will look that up and do some research 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

Well, I think as of this episode of Picard this is now officially a Mass Effect crossover universe.

The reapers Destroyers will be coming, as foretold by the Prothean beacon unkown precursor race's Admonishion. Marina Sirtis can have a double role as Troi and Benezia. 🤣

Also, uhm, everything about that Borg cube B-plot was wrong. Impressive. Except for the local collective part, I mean that happened way back in Voyager to Chakotay, so it even makes sense for Seven to know about it and try it. What doesn't make sense is that now Borg drones can't operate in a vaccuum. Whatever. Maybe next time activate the cube and take control of it first.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 2

Oh wow, I totally forgot about Picard. Haven't seen the last 3 or so episodes and I feel no motivation to get into it in the near future.

Shooting on the Wheel of Time has been suspended due to all the things going on in Europe at the moment...

However, they have already shot about 60-70% of the first season, and from the sounds of it the shooting was being done in fairly episode chronology...

• Thanks 1

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Rich says he won't do Star Trek: Discovery season 3, but I'll bet he'll have forgotten that by the time it comes out.

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

12 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Rich says he won't do Star Trek: Discovery season 3, but I'll bet he'll have forgotten that by the time it comes out.

He said he wouldn't watch Season 2 in the Season 1 ReView either. Or at least that he already cancelled CBS All Access and doesn't plan to resub.

At the end of the day they're still a business though. So you bet they'll watch and ReView it. Fanservice... of a different kind. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Im sad that it moved to Hulu. Now Ill never see it again. :( 

Eh, Hulu has probably surpassed Netflix in terms of how much I use it. Granted I use Hulu Live for all the local stuff now, but it's come a long way since it first launched.