The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

Well that Picard episode was...

Oh, I don't know. It felt like Our Man Bashir, except they were actually serious. But hey, why not. In the past when someone famous from the Federation had to disguise themselves they at least got some elaborate makeup on and pretended to have plastic surgery. But since Patrick Stewart is too old for this sh...tuff he just gets an eye patch and hams it up a little.

Not that it was a bad watch, mind you. Entertaining. If it weren't Trek. I sound like a broken record at this point.

Edit: Also, GG to RLM for calling out Agnes. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

I hated the ending of  Season 1.  So I did not watch Season 2.  Season 3 seems to have upped its production budget.  Seems like the show has turned into about poor android slaves working with underclass humans to revolt against the rich, evil human top-percenters. (Class warfare and economic inequality have become the popular theme in movies and TV all over the world in the past year, as over a dozen major movies like Parasite, Joker, Knives Out, etc., etc., in 2019 have shown.)

Edited by ktchong

It's a popular theme now. Just read a bit on Reddit and you'll see this in every second thread popping up in some kind of way.

I blame Trump and his goons 

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

Well as someone pointed out, there's been a steady drip-feeding of media books and films along the lines of Hunger Games where the kids of the world have been fed a diet of "hey, when there's a dystopian controlling government, you can be a Katniss" for the last decade or two.

Is it any surprise when things seem to feel like growing dystopian controlling governments happen.. people start talking as if they're Katniss?   😄

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I'd find those RML videos easier to consume if they were less than 25 minutes long. But since I'm not watching Picard (one episode was enough for me) I'm finding their commentary on it pretty hilarious and pretty spot on re: much of the whole Roddenberry's visions/world vs. modern/new Trek visions etc.

And I have to say ... based off only what RML was yapping about - as a side or potential bigger series plot thread, there's elements of the

Borg 

AGAIN?  Can they think of nothing else anymore? Does it always have to be connected to anything/everything that came before? 

That TNG episode Conspiracy with those bug/larvae things taking over important people? What happened to them? The thing got a signal off before it was eliminated, where are they? Sure they were silly if you thought about it for 5 seconds, but you could tweak it to be something fresh maybe. Or something else never in any other ST series/episode.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'm mostly curious if the later episodes of Picard will get any better since rumor has it that the first 5 or 6 episodes were already done before Chabon came on board. I'm expecting more of the same but still have a glimmer of hope that just won't die.

Free games updated 3/4/21

Wow I actually totally forgot about the show and didn't watch last fridays episode. Truth told, I'm not exactly motivated to pick it up again... 

Also reminds me of Discovery season 2... watched the first episode and then forgot about it. I just really, really loath every character and every plot point in that show.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

It's interesting, yes, but it's also very predictable. I'm not yet done with s1, but so far I'd give it a... 6/10 Not bad, but nothing really good either. It's same old, same old.

PS: I'm really fed up with super powers movies and tv shows by now.

Edited by Lexx

22 minutes ago, Skazz said:

Star Trek: Worf when?

No, wait, seriously! Hasn't Michael Dorn been trying to get that greenlit for years?

So an entire show of him getting tossed around to show how badass the antagonist is ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Edited by Agiel
  • Like 1
“Political philosophers have often pointed out that in wartime, the citizen, the male citizen at least, loses one of his most basic rights, his right to life; and this has been true ever since the French Revolution and the invention of conscription, now an almost universally accepted principle. But these same philosophers have rarely noted that the citizen in question simultaneously loses another right, one just as basic and perhaps even more vital for his conception of himself as a civilized human being: the right not to kill.”

-Jonathan Littell <<Les Bienveillantes>>

"The chancellor, the late chancellor, was only partly correct. He was obsolete. But so is the State, the entity he worshipped. Any state, entity, or ideology becomes obsolete when it stockpiles the wrong weapons: when it captures territories, but not minds; when it enslaves millions, but convinces nobody. When it is naked, yet puts on armor and calls it faith, while in the Eyes of God it has no faith at all. Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of Man...that state is obsolete."

-Rod Serling

2 hours ago, Agiel said:

vid

too many folks think fascism were a distinct european thing with the US being untouched by it save in a small way. lindbergh and dr. carrel made a compelling but dangerous pair and it were the American eugenics movement which inspired european fascists and not the other way around.

am recognizing hbo will be doing dramatic, and as such many will see as sjw proselytizing, but am hopeful this is done well 'cause the subject matter deserves more attention in schools and should be a matter o' public consciousness. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

6 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

S2 of Altered Carbon has been released on Netflix. I guess I know what Im watching this weekend.

Watched the first 2 episodes. Poe is very sympathetic (again). Not sure yet about the rest of the cast yet.

Edited by Lexx

Picard never lets me forget I'm watching a tv show. Everything seems to be written so they can have maximum amount of drama in any given situation.

How did the sword kid get in the Borg cube? How did he find Picard? None of that matters. Only thing that matters is the drama when Picard has to leave him behind like he did before when he was just a kid. Whoa. Such drama. 

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Just finished Altered Carbon s2. Have to say it's .... actually better than s1. Season 1 fell apart after 3/4 of its story, but season 2 stays on top till the very end. Not bad, certainly want to watch a season 3 now.

Ive watched the first 7 episodes of S2 Altered Carbon. Its pretty good but I have noticed a 700% reduction in the gratuitous nudity which is a little disappointing. :lol: I had to stop myself from watching the last 3 episodes just to try to stretch the season out a little bit. Part of me likes the idea of releasing a whole season at once and part of laments my lack of self control. 

• Sad 1

I am watching Van Helsing  and Narcos Mexico .....both new seasons and both very good

Oh and next season of American Gods my favorite, the characters are complex and leave an indelible impression 🥧

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

Pete Davidson Alive From New York.

About 20 minutes in a see my wifes head slowly turn towards me..."hes not very funny". Couldnt argue with that. :lol:

That was seriously dreadful. The guy looked like it was his first rodeo.

166215__front.jpg