The TV and Streaming thread renewed

Amentep

Post about what you're watching TV and streaming wise.

Old thread:

Last few posts were all Star Treky:

15 hours ago, Skazz said:

Star Trek was built on an idealistic vision of the future. If there is one character (and/or captain) who manages to fully capture that enlightened ideal behind Star Trek, it is Picard.

Picard is better. Fight me.

14 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Image result for sisko punches q gif

14 hours ago, ShadySands said:

^ and Q moved on to Voyager after that

Pickerd is my number 2 but he's not number 2

1 hour ago, Guard Dog said:

Voyager does not have many episodes in the "top ten" list of all the series. But it does have one and it was excellent. Season 2 "Death Wish". And it was a Q episode.

And it gave us this moment

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Bit funny how s1 got criticized for "the strong focus on the white main character" and in s2 it's now a black main character. 😆

S1 fell completely apart in the end, imo. It'll be interesting to see what they do with s2. Hope there won't be too many flashbacks, because truth told, I found them to be damn boring.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

I was more into Dichen Lachmann. Saw her first in The 100 and she instantly stood out to me. She's got a... unique face. And I'm guessing this tribal stuff is my kink, I dunno.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

This might be weird, but my biggest problem currently with Picard is that no one has told what the cost was when Starfleet pulled support from the Romulan evacuation. Were lives lost? I've been told it was Very Bad Thing, but what actually happened? It is supposed to be this crucial event, but I know nothing about it and romulans seem to be doing fine. They have their own Borg cube and ****.  

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

The whole show is built upon a premise that is so ridiculous that you'll just have to go along with it. It's depressingly similar to the beginning of The Force Awakens in that skips some odd 15 to 25 years of galactic history and simply presents us with a future of a setting that makes no sense (some minor spoilers ahead, but all I'm talking about now was part of the trailers anyway).

The, for me, strange and interesting thing about the last two episodes was that I didn't hate them like I did the second one. It's just that... very much like with Discovery, this is actually hurt by being set in the Star Trek universe. Any other setting a former Admiral setting out with an elven warrior raised by an order of elven assassin nuns on a quest to investigate Seb-Cheneb, the Destroyer, who for some reason is part of a prophecy of a galactic extinction level threat whom a former cybernetic drone "knows from tomorrow" might be interesting.

Instead I facepalmed all the time.

The worst part is that this episode had a seed of a much better way to get into a similar situation by having the Federation actually pull off the evactuation and then simply have the Romulan Nazi guys (what were they called, Romulan Rebirth movement?) take advantage of a possibly disillusioned Romulan people who could believably cope much worse with the relocation and Federation values than anticipated. This could, in turn, also lead to a believable feeling of resentment throughout the Federation.

But nah, instead we have an attack on Mars and perhaps an android that might reawaken the beasts (that so TOTALLY doesn't mean the inactive Borg drones, right? RIGHT?) and bring destruction to everyone. In a post Voyager setting where Janeway brought perfectly working Anti-Borg tech from the future with her.

• Like 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

Yeah, it's just so depressing. This could be good, but it simply isn't. It weirds me out that all the news feed around me are praising this thing so hard, and I'm sitting here, wondering wtf they smoked or if they even actually saw the show?!

The only thing that keeps me watching right now is that I don't have any other show running, friday evening is boring, and I'm tired, so I just switch it on and go with it.

/Edit: To add to that. Last episode felt ok, but as soon as they switched to the emo-romulan it just turned me off so hard again. This guy is the same as that klingon-whatever dude in Discovery and I just want to projectile vomit over this damned cliche.

/Edit2: Apparently there's rumors about Star Trek being in trouble. If this is true, then... I dunno, maybe they should have made *Star Trek* tv shows instead of what we got?

Edited by Lexx

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

Yeah, it's just so depressing.

-Every Star Trek fan the last decade, :(.

9 hours ago, Lexx said:

/Edit2: Apparently there's rumors about Star Trek being in trouble. If this is true, then... I dunno, maybe they should have made *Star Trek* tv shows instead of what we got?

"Creator / executive producer Alex Kurtzman is in the firing line."

I know he's an infamously terrible writer, but yikes, we're still doing the firing squads thing? Really? ...Well, maybe it's for the best after all - can't ruin anything else that way, :).

• Sad 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

11 hours ago, Lexx said:

/Edit2: Apparently there's rumors about Star Trek being in trouble. If this is true, then... I dunno, maybe they should have made *Star Trek* tv shows instead of what we got

Ira Behr and/or Ron Moore will be recruited to come and "un-fu--" this mess.

Seconded. Assuming they don't turn anyone into a literal angel or bring back James Darren I'm all for them doing some Star Trek again.

12 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I finished up S1 of Altered Carbon and Im looking forward to S2. I was a little bummed

Reveal hidden contents

Edgar died, but then I watched the S2 trailer and he lives!

HUZZAH! 

Huh, for a moment I wondered who you meant there, but yeah, then I remembered. The AI. Heh. :)

Edited by majestic

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

"Creator / executive producer Alex Kurtzman is in the firing line."

I know he's an infamously terrible writer, but yikes, we're still doing the firing squads thing? Really? ...Well, maybe it's for the best after all - can't ruin anything else that way, :).

It's kind of weird how many idiomatic phrases still in use come from ye olde firearms and as such...

I feel compelled- compelled I say- to point out that (a) firing line is different to (a) firing squad. The firing line was the front line of battle in a ranked system when using early firearms where you'd have a front rank (the 'firing line') and ranks behind it systematically reloading their brown besses or whatever. Since the firing line was at the front those behind were partially protected, and the firing line was particularly dangerous. Idiomatically firing line represents being at significant risk, whereas being in front of a firing squad represents an inevitability of death.

Next, flash in the pan and going off half roostered, both of which might be quite valid idiomatically for current Star Trek.

• Like 1

am finally watching better call saul season 4. netflix. season 5 starts end of february.

bestest tv lawyer all-time:  _____________

john astin's gomez addams were our unchallenged number 1 for decades. might be a new king o' the hill. rhea seehorn as kim wexler.

am not requiring our lawyer shows be accurate (again, gomez were our #1 lawyer after all,) but saul takes surprising few liberties with the legal stuff. even so, we had a hard time watching goliath 'cause it were so complete off-the-rails insofar as accuracy. we watched goliath 'cause billy bob thornton and nina arianda were excellent and in spite o' fact it were a law show. goliath does lawyers same way folks in johnny b goode were accurate showing football. better call saul characters and situations may be improbable, but the law is relative solid.

regardless, am an unabashed fan o' kim wexler. sure, she is most likely gonna die in the upcoming season, but has been worth watching better call saul if for no other reason than more kim wexler. 

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Goliath season 1 was interesting, but I stopped watching season 2 after episode 2 or so. For god knows what reasons, the quality went completely off the rails and it sucked all motivation to continue watching this show out of me.

27 minutes ago, Gromnir said:

am finally watching better call saul season 4. netflix. season 5 starts end of february.

bestest tv lawyer all-time:  _____________

john astin's gomez addams were our unchallenged number 1 for decades. might be a new king o' the hill. rhea seehorn as kim wexler.

am not requiring our lawyer shows be accurate (again, gomez were our #1 lawyer after all,) but saul takes surprising few liberties with the legal stuff. even so, we had a hard time watching goliath 'cause it were so complete off-the-rails insofar as accuracy. we watched goliath 'cause billy bob thornton and nina arianda were excellent and in spite o' fact it were a law show. goliath does lawyers same way folks in johnny b goode were accurate showing football. better call saul characters and situations may be improbable, but the law is relative solid.

regardless, am an unabashed fan o' kim wexler. sure, she is most likely gonna die in the upcoming season, but has been worth watching better call saul if for no other reason than more kim wexler. 

HA! Good Fun!

I watched like...the first season and a half of BCS? Enjoyed it, but never picked it back up again. My attention span for dark, serious dramas is pretty low, and I was initially under the impression the show was going to be more fun and silly than Breaking Bad, which is why I stuck with it longer than I did Breaking Bad. I remember thinking Kim was my favorite character, though.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Narco's Mexico and Van Helsing....both good shows 

Oh and Vikings, amazing as usual 😎

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

I've said it before, Bett Call Saul is probably the best show that I don't enjoy watching. It's terrific in every aspect from writing and direction to the performances. I just find it utterly unengaging. I simply don't care about the characters or what's happening to them, which sets this widely apart from Breaking Bad.

Last time we had this discussion I postulated it coming down to prequelitis. Everything that comes up in the show has a forgone conclusion*. We know that Gus manages to build his underground lab, that Kim Wexler isn't going to have a lasting relationship with James (the only mildly interesting thing is whether he gets her killed or she simply leaves for good). The entire spiel with James' brother about the disbarment was pointless as well.

*See that mayhaps be an actual weak point of the writing there. If you can't find anything in your prequel to create tension or drama then perhaps the prequel isn't necessary at all. On the other hand, everyone else that I know who watches Bett Call Saul loves the show. It's possible that the flaw lies with me.

Started watching The Dragon Prince season 3. To be honest, it's pretty bad. Shame they weren't able to get back to the quality of their Avatar show.

34 minutes ago, Lexx said:

Started watching The Dragon Prince season 3. To be honest, it's pretty bad. Shame they weren't able to get back to the quality of their Avatar show.

mostly boring to mediocre show

but awkward teen romance part are might be better than avatar