Hello guys, 

finally started Deadfire on ps4.

I decided to play a Cantor.

I like the concept of fighting in melee and buffing my party via chants and debuffing/cc enemy's via chants/invocations.

As subclasses I decided to play Hellwalker and on the chanterside I can't decide between Troubadour or Skald.

Skald sounds interesting but is the chance to get a phrase so good ? 

I mean 50% chance on crit for a phrase ?

On the other hand Troubadour is good at getting phrased fast via brisk recitation and can have multiple phrases at the same time with enough int.

Does someone know the threshold for int and lingering to have 2 phrases active or 3 all the time ? 

Has someone played a Cantor like this ? 

So is this suitable for PotD or will it be to weak and fall behind after some levels ?

Greetings 

20 int troubadour has full uptime on two chants (in RTwP-mode). It's not possible to get enough for three; you'd need 60 int I think and the game is capped at 35 (which isn't an easy mark to reach either) AFAIK. I do recommend troubadour, partly because I'm obsessed with that full uptime on two chants.

Chanters multiclass well. You're doing the first class' thing while passively buffing/debuffing and occasionally throwing out an invocation. You have both versatility and longevity. I can't comment on the monk part, as I'm not a fan of them for fantasy reasons, but I don't expect it will be a bad choice.

My Deadfire mods
Out With The Good: The mod for tidying up your Deadfire combat tooltip.
Waukeen's Berth: Make all your basic purchases at Queen's Berth.
Carrying Voice: Wider chanter invocations.
Nemnok's Congregation: Lets all priests express their true faith.

Deadfire skill check catalogue right here!

1 hour ago, omgFIREBALLS said:

20 int troubadour has full uptime on two chants (in RTwP-mode). It's not possible to get enough for three 

If I remember correctly DomP gives +int based on wounds, but the bonus never gets lower than 5 even if I have only 2 wounds. 

I read that anywhere here on the forum, I guess it was a post from @Boeroer

Maybe he can confirm that.

Race and origin I see as a personal preference. I know elves are best because of dex resistance but orlans are cool. 

As for weapons I would go with Morningstar. Are there any ways to bump up PL on a multiclass to get monk fists better ? 

Can someone tell me which chants stack and which not ? I mean can I but sweet winds of death after another or will there always be just one sweet winds "active" ? 

Edited by Dyxx

On 2/9/2020 at 8:55 AM, Dyxx said:

Are there any ways to bump up PL on a multiclass to get monk fists better ? 

easiest way is to be a nature godlike and use swift strikes to get a body inspiration for +1 PL. this would be enough to get you to better-than-legendary as multiclass. You'd need a further +2 PL to get to better-than-legendary. easiest is probably potion of ascension, which is +2 PL for the entire fight. other way is to eat some food that gives you +1 PL and then use a Stone of Power to get +2 total PL (+1 from food, stacks with +1 from necklace) for the fight.

On 2/9/2020 at 8:55 AM, Dyxx said:

Can someone tell me which chants stack and which not ? I mean can I but sweet winds of death after another or will there always be just one sweet winds "active" ? 

IIRC there will only ever be one chant of any kind active. I think the most that happens is that if the chant that is already on someone has a shorter duration than the new chant, the duration gets refreshed, but that's it. (most chants don't do much if they could stack anyway) That being said, most (all?) offensive chants need to roll against enemy defense to check, so it might be worth doubling-up on a single chant if you really need a chant to land (I do this with Thick Thick Grew Their Tongues, because when I need to get rid of enemy concentration, I need to do it urgently, so even if it doesn't stack, it gives me multiple attempts at wiping out enemy concentration).

the only exception is "Many Lives Pass By, Each Leaving Footprints" which creates summons instead of buffs/debuffs. There you could have a party of five chanters summoning skeletons all the live long day. Not sure it'd be effective (the summoned skeletons from this chant don't scale with your level) but it sure would be silly

Edited by thelee
  • Thanks 1