unpopular gaming opinions - here's mine, share yours

Melusina

The United States still arms neo-Nazi's in east Europe to keep Russians "back".

They're called domestic terrorists locally (though that seems to have eroded a little bit under Trump) they're called Freedom Fighters overseas.

But still, more options shouldn't be considered a bad thing...if it's done right.  It doesn't necessarily have to be based on moral grounds but what flavor suits you best.  I always sided with NCR simply because Caesars Legion didn't suit me, never even considered moral options just the Legion seemed like the idiotic ones.

Another opinion: Millennials will make the best games once they're all middle aged+

11 hours ago, Melusina said:

3) real time with pause isn't turn based - I like both and if you can't play real time with pause like turn based here's tip -> let your toon do stuff real time, don't press pause way too often - hence the name real time with pause

That's true. Therefore, RTwP RPGs should mimic stat/roll based Turn-Based design. If playing in real time doesn't allow to engage with game systems, then it shouldn't be real time. I like RTwP RPGs but they should be turn based, or have a rulset designed to be consumed in real time.

8 hours ago, Skarpen said:

3) RPG's with a set protagonist are better than the ones that let you create one from scratch.

HAHAHAHA! 

No.

4 hours ago, daven said:

Dragon Age 2 is the best Dragon Age game.

I don't like any of them (didn't play Inquisition), but it's short and forgettable, so... maybe?

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Moral gray areas in games are a lie. Trying to give players two equally valid moral sides (NCR vs Caesar's Legion for example. Or Jedi vs Sith) has never worked, as the sides have never been equally valid.

Well, Deadfire nailed it. Unless, you are still following your moral compas, rather then your character's, in which case sure: you will always feel one of the sides is better then the other. Though as to examples you mentioned: yeah, successful in making "good" sides look bad, not succesful in justifying how "bad" sides could be considered not evil.

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Real Time Strategy (RTS) is a misnomer, rarely ever involving anything remotely resembling strategy. 

Yes... RTS have high difficulty floor, and strategical competency can only be tested between euually matched opponent. In most cases it comes down to greater dexterity in managing macro. Still fun. Too bad W3:Ref is a pooper. Wouldn't mind diving into it - never tasted Multiplayer side of it. Problem, would end up getting wiped for the next 3 months before getting bored.

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

The KotOR games are overrated.

As StarWars games? No. As RPGs? Yes.

Now my turn: 

Beyond Good&Evil lays groundwork for future titles (like Arkham games) but is itself pretty crap - weak gameplay, annoying characters, lack of charm and coherent story.

Pillars of Eternity would be a better games if they were designed to be turn based.

Divinity: Original Sin 1&2 are horrible games when you play them by yourself. 

Civilization 6 improves on Civ5.

Epic Store is not the worst Digital Gaming Store on the market. 

MMORPGs are bad games, played by people who don't want to admit that they got duped into paying every month for a crap game. 

Vampires: Bloodlines is an a-ok RPG. It's fine. Wouldn't recommend it. 

From all Bioware games, the one that deserves a good sequel is Jade Empire. 

Fallout 1 is better then Fallout 2. 

Moral gray areas in games are a lie. Trying to give players two equally valid moral sides (NCR vs Caesar's Legion for example. Or Jedi vs Sith) has never worked, as the sides have never been equally valid.

[..]

New Vegas, Caesars Legions slaughters people, tortures people, enslaves people. The NCR collects taxes and has nepotism and a certain level of corruption. Obsidian wants you to accept in that game that slavery = taxes as similar evil.

Can't see any way that they're presented as being morally equivalent though. In terms of the game, you're certainly presented with a justification for picking CL or the Sith that isn't just being chaotic stupid, but that's all. I doubt anyone picked sith/ CL without knowing that they were bad, all you're presented with is the equivalent of 'but at least they make the trains run on time'. Which, it has to be said, actually did work for a very large number of people in the real world.

(As a game you pretty much have to have some sort of justification or else you'd get even fewer people playing the 'evil' path, or get Baldur's Gate 1 where most evil options required you to be self destructively stupid as well as evil. Personally I prefer the Mass Effect/ Alpha Protocol dichotomy of having amoral practicality instead of 'evil' anyway, as it's way more true to life.)

Alpha Protocol was fantastic in it's choices. And they mostly all made sense (the museum bombing is always strange - Thorton choosing to save one person over many. But eh, I took that option on the Veteran playthrough, roleplaying it that he had seen too many friends die and couldn't sacrifice her as well).

Outer Worlds, the two sides both make valid arguments. Even though the Board are bastards, there is perfectly good reason to side with them. Until you do the maths. But their point about Phineas' plan being too risky is valid.

• Like 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

Outer Worlds, the two sides both make valid arguments. Even though the Board are bastards, there is perfectly good reason to side with them. Until you do the maths. But their point about Phineas' plan being too risky is valid.

I love the Outer Worlds, but the number of plot holes is a bit overwhelming. I heard one reviewer state that it's like the entire system is just passing around the same five dollar bill and that's the economy, and he's right. Without trade to the outside they don't have a real economy, which makes the whole hyper capitalist society break down because insult your customer base, sell cheap products, sneak in trap user agreements, undercut smaller competitors, but even the most hardcore capitalist wouldn't sign off on a project as fiscally nonsensical as Halcyon even before they knew the colony was a bust.

Edited by the_dog_days

3 hours ago, Wormerine said:

MMORPGs are bad games, played by people who don't want to admit that they got duped into paying every month for a crap game. 

While I am sure there are plenty of good reasons to complain about MMO's, I've never understood the monthly fee complaint. First off, how many single player games do you actually play longer than a month? Secondly, I cancel and re-up regularly. It is typically always worth a good chunk of hours of entertainment when I do that. The cost tends to be pretty low, much lower than a new game, so I would prefer being duped that way than buying a brand new game for full price and it being mediocre.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Real Time Strategy (RTS) is a misnomer, rarely ever involving anything remotely resembling strategy. A type of games that became popular with Generation Z, who seems to have the shortest attention span in recent history (8 seconds... even Millennials have longer attention spans, about 12 seconds)

Well, there sort of is. There's the upper level of planning out what you're going to do and then executing it as you fight - the micromanaging of units, although this varies on how much the game puts in -  SupCom for example is just throwing units at each other gloriously, for example.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

6 hours ago, melkathi said:

The CIA funded and trained death squads during the Greek civil war. It is recorded as "successful anti-communist operation" or something like that. The people they trained and armed though were the Nazi collaborators. I grew up in Thessaloniki where 46 thousand people were send to Auschwitz. The people who aided in that were then given arms and funds by the US.

...I do not want to derail the overall message, but it took me way too long to realize you weren't talking about the Peloponnesian War.

I'm dumb. Carry on.

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Civilization 6 improves on Civ5.

Wait, this is a hot take? Because I've always ranked it as equal to 4 and way better than 5. 🤔

5 hours ago, Wormerine said:

Vampires: Bloodlines is an a-ok RPG.

No.

Edited by Skazz

13 hours ago, daven said:

Dragon Age 2 is the best Dragon Age game.

Bit of a blanket statement, I think Final Fantasy 10 has a brilliant story and characters but Final Fantasy 13 is rubbish.

Baldur's Gate 1/2 have a brilliant story and characters, Two Worlds is utter garbage.

You are trying to infuse logic into the stated opinion fact. That’s not how it works on internet boards... You should be outraged, and posting cancel feeds on twitter instead 😞 

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

12 hours ago, Wormerine said:

From all Bioware games, the one that deserves a good sequel is Jade Empire. 

I've been yelling this from the mountain top for years. At this point, however, I'd rather it wasn't Bioware developing it, on account of their recent track record. It doesn't necessarily have to be Jade Empite 2: The Jadening, I just want a good wuxia RPG.

And just to add another controversial opinion:

If another RTwP RPG was never made, I would lose zero sleep.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 3

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Depression spiked today. Forum said I got quoted, but I can't read/reply. Please don't take it personally if I ignore you. I put my energy into replying to work emails, wishing friends happy birthday and posting this disclaimer :)

• Like 3

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

2 hours ago, HoonDing said:

Why bother with Jade Empires when there are actual Chinese wuxia games on steam right now.

I specified a good wuxia RPG.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

18 hours ago, melkathi said:

So does not listening to fans.

In the end: devs just make crap games.

Right, I don't know why the customer gets so much blame for a crap product.

"Hey guys, we tried to implement things we thought you'd like but we failed and thus are shifting the blame of our bad product to our consumer."

I've  been seeing that a lot in recent years and not just in video games. 

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Can someone give me a list of these Chinese "wuxia" RPG's?

Western RPG's are currently suffering from an identity crisis (well, have been for a long time), though I did love TOW.

I never really cared for Jade Empire but I clearly saw that it's one of those games that would grab a niche fanbase.

Edited by ComradeMaster

27 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

"Hey guys, we tried to implement things we thought you'd like but we failed and thus are shifting the blame of our bad product to our consumer."

It’s easier to blame others for own failure, than to reflect on the mistakes made and learn from them... All you need to do is one Vox or Kotaku article, and you can live in your bubble for the next few years...

• Like 1

Sent from my Stone Tablet, using Chisel-a-Talk 2000BC.

My youtube channel: MamoulianFH
Latest Let's Play Tales of Arise (completed)
Latest Bossfight Compilation Dark Souls Remastered - New Game (completed)

Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 1: Austria Grand Campaign (completed)
Let's Play/AAR Europa Universalis 2: Xhosa Grand Campaign (completed)
My PS Platinums and 100% - 29 games so far (my PSN profile)

1) God of War III - PS3 - 24+ hours

2) Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 130+ hours

3) White Knight Chronicles International Edition - PS3 - 525+ hours

4) Hyperdimension Neptunia - PS3 - 80+ hours

5) Final Fantasy XIII-2 - PS3 - 200+ hours

6) Tales of Xillia - PS3 - 135+ hours

7) Hyperdimension Neptunia mk2 - PS3 - 152+ hours

8.) Grand Turismo 6 - PS3 - 81+ hours (including Senna Master DLC)

9) Demon's Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

10) Tales of Graces f - PS3 - 337+ hours

11) Star Ocean: The Last Hope International - PS3 - 750+ hours

12) Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - PS3 - 127+ hours

13) Soulcalibur V - PS3 - 73+ hours

14) Gran Turismo 5 - PS3 - 600+ hours

15) Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3 - 302+ hours

16) Mortal Kombat XL - PS4 - 95+ hours

17) Project CARS Game of the Year Edition - PS4 - 120+ hours

18) Dark Souls - PS3 - 197+ hours

19) Hyperdimension Neptunia Victory - PS3 - 238+ hours

20) Final Fantasy Type-0 - PS4 - 58+ hours

21) Journey - PS4 - 9+ hours

22) Dark Souls II - PS3 - 210+ hours

23) Fairy Fencer F - PS3 - 215+ hours

24) Megadimension Neptunia VII - PS4 - 160 hours

25) Super Neptunia RPG - PS4 - 44+ hours

26) Journey - PS3 - 22+ hours

27) Final Fantasy XV - PS4 - 263+ hours (including all DLCs)

28) Tales of Arise - PS4 - 111+ hours

29) Dark Souls: Remastered - PS4 - 121+ hours

34 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

It's typical capitalist hogwash. Shifting the blame to consumers lets businesses elude any responsibility in failure and allows them to continue as before. An example: plastics. Consumer‑side habits changing is laughably insufficient to save us from being buried under veritable megatons of plastic garbage. But there's a disproportionate emphasis on that, instead of legislating plastics away where possible.

Now, be a dear and buy these microtransactions. You don't want to make the board sad, do you?

Edited by 213374U
  • Like 5

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Depression spiked today. Forum said I got quoted, but I can't read/reply. Please don't take it personally if I ignore you. I put my energy into replying to work emails, wishing friends happy birthday and posting this disclaimer :)

It is quite understandable and I'm sure nobody minds. Please, hang in there. Depression is no joke.

Ah, here's mine.  Microtransactions are good.

• Confused 1
  • Gasp! 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

15 hours ago, Skazz said:

Wait, this is a hot take? Because I've always ranked it as equal to 4 and way better than 5. 🤔

As far as I am aware, yes. Oh, I also am not a big fan of 4. That might the hotter take. Never could get into it, I tried many times. 

8 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I've been yelling this from the mountain top for years. At this point, however, I'd rather it wasn't Bioware developing it, on account of their recent track record. It doesn't necessarily have to be Jade Empite 2: The Jadening,

Well, yeah. At this point JE2 would be an unfinished live service. But Action RPGs have progressed a long time since JE times. I would love a good action-kungfu RPG.

17 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

While I am sure there are plenty of good reasons to complain about MMO's, I've never understood the monthly fee complaint.

In my hot take, monthly fee wasn't a complaint - it was a reason people keep playing them.