nfl 2020-2021

Gromnir

50 minutes ago, Hurlshot said:

So did anyone else think a 43 year old Tom Brady would join a new team and take them to a superbowl? That sounds pretty insane.

I haven't followed the season so I'm genuinely curious about this. Did he take them or was it the other way around?

Free games updated 3/4/21

15 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I haven't followed the season so I'm genuinely curious about this. Did he take them or was it the other way around?

He played pretty great this season, but the team around him has been great as well (although all of them have been kind of inconsistent together).

• Thanks 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

17 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

A little of column A and a little of column B. The Bucs were already a talented team and Brady has pulled his weight.

• Thanks 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

So it's the final remnants of the old Evil Empire versus the new Evil Empire. Joy.

Earlier today, I told my buddy "either everything will go well and it'll be Packers-Bills...or everything will go badly and it'll be Buccaneers-Chiefs". Phooey.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

7 hours ago, ShadySands said:

To put it this way, player-for-player the Bucs are the best team in the league but most of the season their team chemistry was all over the place.  Without Brady to galvanize them it is highly unlikely this scatterbrained group would've made it past a wildcard round.

My policy was, is, and will continue to be "If Patrick Mahomes is playing I'm picking the Chiefs." With that in mind, my Superbowl pick:

Chiefs 

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

22 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

So did anyone else think a 43 year old Tom Brady would join a new team and take them to a superbowl? That sounds pretty insane.

Am I the only one wondering whether he'll have medical issues from steroid use? *shrug*

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I was just looking at the trade between the lions in the Rams for Matthew Stafford. The Rams really got screwed didn’t they? No I mean really they were bent over the pinball machine publicly gang raped then hit over the head with a brick and left for dead in an alley. That trade was that bad

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I was just looking at the trade between the lions in the Rams for Matthew Stafford. The Rams really got screwed didn’t they? No I mean really they were bent over the pinball machine publicly gang raped then hit over the head with a brick and left for dead in an alley. That trade was that bad

Well, Stafford is only going to be 33. He's a far better talent than Goff. Goff's contract gets higher the next few years until it runs out while Stafford's is only more expensive than Goff's this year and far less expensive each successive year after that. The Rams' window for winning a super bowl is only the next few years before they need to renew a bunch of contracts. Honestly, it wasn't a bad trade at all if you look at it from the Rams' win-now perspective. Plus Jared Goff is consistently ranked around 20th best quarterback in the league and had one of the worst contracts in the NFL and they managed to get out of it while sending him to a team that apparently wanted him. Part of those picks were less about proper compensation for Stafford and more about compensation for picking up that horrible contract.

4 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

It does look that way. I mean they're both decent starting QBs, so did they really need to give up all those draft picks? Then again, as a Seahawks fan, my response is more like aha-ha-ha-hah! 😁

Jared Goff has been pretty below average to bad the past couple of years, with a very good supporting cast. He's had a 42-29 TD-INT ratio over the last two years with like an 88 passer rating. Good numbers 40 years ago, not so much now. McVay got a lot out of him in 2017 and 2018, but that team is set to implode due to contracts coming up - their future is grim, so they're going to take their shot.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

I was very happy with the Halftime show. Amazing set design for sure, and The Weeknd was great. Honestly I didn't know much about the guy before the performance, but I thought he was stronger than Bruno Mars and Lady Gaga. 

• Like 1

Wish I was into betting - I really had trouble seeing the Chiefs winning unless literally everybody played perfectly and Mahomes went into god-mode, and I just couldn't see that happening with so many weaknesses in their offensive line against that defensive front. Really could not believe the Chiefs were favored on the betting line. Hope everyone now understands and remembers that even the best QBs are going to get walloped if they're consistently heavily pressured and their defense isn't able to do the exact same back to the opposing QB...but I know nobody ever will because QB winz, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus

It reminded some people hereabouts of the 2013 Superbowl in which the team with a dominant defense and a moderately capable offense crushed a high-powered offensive team with an average defense. We always respected Coach Arians when he coached Arizona; those games were tough. Not to mention the injuries...

Edited by rjshae

It does seem like great defense + decent offense usually beats great offense + decent defense. Not always...but certainly a lot of the time when it's counted the most.

...Although the Buccaneers were surprisingly the top 3rd scoring offense (only 17 points behind the first, the Packers), and the top 8th scoring defense. Of course, they seemingly played on a different level besides on both ends once they got into the playoffs.

Edited by Bartimaeus

It seems like people are trying very hard to minimize the impact that Brady had in winning the Superbowl, like it was just luck and defense that put him there for the 10th time. That's laughable. He got them a big lead and then the defense held it. It was a pretty simple win for the greatest QB ever.