nfl 2020-2021

Gromnir

On 8/4/2020 at 4:31 AM, Volourn said:

XFL lost a lot of ratings in the last few weeks of its news existence. The product sucked. It sucked worse than the CFL which already sucks(ed). It is a nothing league with a lot of crappy players who aren't good enough for the NFL. Why would I want to watch a league filled with garbage? Next you'll be offering $50 to watch me play with my neighbourhoood buddies calling it 'decent'. LMAO

By that logic no one would watch football on college och high school level cause all of the college players are worse than the players in the NFL.

The NHL have farm teams, so why not the NFL? Cause that is basically what the XFL would be.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

I don't watch college football. I don't watch the AHL, CHL, or whatever other crappy hockey league is out there. I want to watch the best of the best. Not the wannabes.*

* exceptions made for family members lol

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

7 hours ago, Mannock said:

By that logic no one would watch football on college och high school level cause all of the college players are worse than the players in the NFL.

The NHL have farm teams, so why not the NFL? Cause that is basically what the XFL would be.

I didn't get to watch too much of the XFL or the other one that went under quickly, so I can't argue on whether or not the product was bad...but it doesn't hurt to bear in mind that it was their first year, and the players are essentially sub-practice squad level players all entering into a new league at the same time with no established stars - giving it a few years to gain its feet and let the players get major playing time to hone their skills may have proved very beneficial to the product. I like football the sport, and having a minor league is sure to improve the quality of play (...and possibly refereeing) in the NFL itself anyways. A number of notable players have come from minor leagues - Kurt Warner came from the AFL, for example. Some guys just need more time to cook, and unfortunately, a lack of NFL-like opportunities may have cut a number of players' careers short.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

8 hours ago, Mannock said:

Those minor league teams know what they are though. You don't really see any of them on TV. They tend to market themselves as a local product. It's a good bang for your buck versus the big leagues. Colleges rely on alumni and the local community as well. There is a whole school pride element, and college football thrives in areas where there is not a pro competitor. 

XFL doesn't seems to know what it is. They are in markets that already have pro teams. They are playing in stadiums that they can't fill and they want national TV viewers. I just don't see it. But then again, The Rock turns everything he touches into gold (Rampage made $428 million?!?) so who knows? 

• Thanks 1

Gromnir alternative for 2020-2021 nfl season

have teams play each other in madden. teams choose one player on roster to be their madden guy each week, and schedule is played as normal. 

oh sure, is small time and would not be televised national with big advertisement purchase, but on the positive side, nobody's grandma would need die 'cause an infected player or staff brought disease home (or to a strip club or bar) and then after a couple degrees o' separation a stranger ends up on a ventilator.  

on the positive side, fantasy football could continue as normal and threat o' players opting out for the year would not be an issue... though we wouldn't be shocked to see a digital richard sherman making some kinda' stink after game three. 

am mostly joking. is looking to be too late to institute a bubble kinda approach for this season o' the nfl and madden won't be the alternative.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

• 4 weeks later...

Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie says the United States is fighting two pandemics

“We have to own the questions of leadership and the questions about policies,” Lurie said. “There is a lot to be discussed here on that and in the future. It is heartbreaking. These are needless deaths. We should be similar to most countries on this planet, and yet, we are an embarrassment, a tragic embarrassment. That is where we stand.”

huh. in the past we only ever liked the eagles when they played the cowboys, or more rare, the patriots... and perhaps green bay. not much o' a fan o' the phillies or the flyers neither, and has been a long time since dr. j played for the sixers. for a minute or two we had positive feelings 'bout a philadelphia sports team?

who woulda' thunk it?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/jaguars-release-former-firstround-pick-leonard-fournette-after-three-seasons-133032031.html

He and the NFLPA should sue them. The team is clearly abusive in their use of power. Trying to steal money left and right. one should NOT have to fight so hard to keep the money earned and agreed on.

HONOUR YOUR CONTRACTS.

The NFL has an issue with 'non guaranteed contracts' to start with yet that ain't enough for them. EVIL. EVIL TO THE CORE.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So? Why should professional athelete contracts be guaranteed? If they don't perform to expectations, I see no reason for them not to get fired like the rest of us would. Regular people don't have their jobs "guaranteed" so why should athletes? For injury maybe, but not if they're straight out not playing as well as expected.

1 hour ago, Anthonyrex said:

So? Why should professional athelete contracts be guaranteed? If they don't perform to expectations, I see no reason for them not to get fired like the rest of us would. Regular people don't have their jobs "guaranteed" so why should athletes? For injury maybe, but not if they're straight out not playing as well as expected.

Contract employees are guaranteed the contract outside of the sports world. As long as they are upholding the terms of the contract, an employer cannot break it easily. So...what are you talking about?

1 hour ago, Hurlshot said:

Contract employees are guaranteed the contract outside of the sports world. As long as they are upholding the terms of the contract, an employer cannot break it easily. So...what are you talking about?

true but misleading. very few americans is employed by contract. the vast majority is at will employees. if your employment is o' the K variety, there is a high probability the terms o' the contract will discuss, in mind numbing detail, what becomes o' the employee-employer relationship if the employee may no longer perform. 

you are a musician who has a contract to play "piano man" by billy joel on demand for a wealthy eccentric. length o' employment is five years. you injure your hand, (severe carpal tunnel syndrome from too much internet messaging,) and are no longer able to perform according to terms o' the K. 

K may says that if injury is anything other than an act o' God, the K is terminated. 

maybe K says that even if the musciscian is at fault for injury, he remains employed for term o' the K, but at 1/3 pay.

maybe...

collective bargaining creates uniformity. instead o' each player negotiating what is the terms o' their employment K, is done as a group, and as a group, the players agreed to stuff like drug testing and termination for inability to perform.

am gonna suggest the actual villains is the veteran players who sell out their younger and less influential members so they may enjoy larger individual contracts. a veteran player who already has a few million in the bank is willing to risk termination for injury if it means they may personal negotiate a larger individual K.

HA! Good Fun!

Every year I watch this game just gets slower and slower. I don't even bother watching games that don't involve the local teams any more. It's dull. Too many breaks, reviews, penalties, ads, and people just standing around.

"It has just been discovered that research causes cancer in rats."

I found last night's game to be a bit boring, too. Over the past few years, it seems like watching the first half of the season is not really worthwhile in terms of general viewing (i.e. outside your favorite team/s), and it's only the back-half of the season and the playoffs that things get more compelling (...and teams really start playing how they should be).

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

First week or two is always misleading in terms of who the good teams are going to be, and that's in a regular year, sans global pandemic. Who the **** knows this year?

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Meet the new Cowboys, same as the old Cowboys, :p.

I can't even have my classic week 1 overreaction since I watched a grand total of zero minutes of football yesterday. My folks were in town, so football was the furthest thing from my mind.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

On 9/14/2020 at 4:06 PM, Gfted1 said:

I almost ragequit when LA took the opening kickoff and promptly marched down the field for a TD. Oh, and two starters are lost, one for the year and the other for 6-8 weeks. 👍

At least the Packers kicked the Vikings' butt while losing our right guard (for the year), left guard (apparently short term), and elite nose tackle (likely a few weeks), :p.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpgdo9Ab38

am recalling one o' those old nfl films with john facenda narrating and floyd peters shared a memory o' tackling gale sayers.

“He gave me a fake, and my body went one way, my mind went the other way, and something happens to your motor when that happens,” Peters said. “It’s hard to explain. But my legs went limp and I had nothing left.

“The only problem was, Gale made one too many fakes and came back into me. I hit him and knocked him down and he said, ‘Nice tackle, Floyd.’ I told him, ‘I didn’t tackle you. You ran into me.’”

greatness o' gale sayers didn't end with football. the chicago area has any number o' children's centers and youth organizations which were built or aided by mr. sayers. 

he will be missed.