nfl 2020-2021

Gromnir

Welp. It was only a matter of time before the NFL jumped in on the MLB style decade long contracts. Has any of the MLB 10 contracts lasted the whole 10 years? I'm pretty sure this one won't because at some point either Mahomes or the Chiefs will want to restructure it and if it doesn't get restructured it's likely that the whole contract won't be played out in Kansas City, which means restructuring it for another team.

1 hour ago, Gfted1 said:

Maybe for QB's. Most NFL players dont have a career length anywhere near 10 years.

His position doesn't makes no difference in my prediction. A decade is a long time. During that time the value of the dollar and cost of living will change. Either KC will feel like they're pouring too much money into one position and that limits their ability to win a championship as a team (I'll go on record and say barring epic collapse any team Mahomes starts for will make the playoffs). Or, as is more likely, Mahomes gets to around year five of the contract and feels under paid and wants to sign a new deal.

He might play 10 years in KC, but he won't play out this contract because they will restructure at some point.

Edited by the_dog_days

And yet it's an inflation league. One player does it and everyone else will try to get the same amount of money and suddenly Mahomes is just one of a half dozen QBs with a mega contract despite being the most talented of the lot and then restructuring talks begin. I didn't say it made sense from a fiscal standpoint, but that's how business works. :shrugz:

Big yikes at the "Hitler was right" players across the NFL and NBA over the past couple of days...especially when combined with the absolutely deafening silence from other players (remember how quick everyone spoke out against Drew Brees?). 2020 definitely needed that on top of everything else.

Edited by Bartimaeus

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Sad to see this

107737218_10158906236629595_299661874024

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Looks like the CFL is going bankrupt as well, :(.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

Good. The CFL is a bigoted, hateful, anti competition, awful, boring, ****ty  5th tier league. The world would be better off without it but I'm sure it'll 'survive'.  Too bad.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

So... when is the city of Washington gonna change its name? Aterall, as a founding father George Washington  kept slavery legal. Same with the Washington Post which was founded by slavers.

And, when are we gonna start calling out black people who have ancestors that owned slaves in the US  centuries ago?

Anyone with any ties to slavery - even centuries a part - should be  thrown in the trash. But, if you murder a black teenage girl studying in the room, you should not be held responsible for your actions because it was someone else's fault and if you dof ace punishment for a crime you actually coimmitted it should be absolutely minimal.

Edited by Volourn

8 hours ago, Gfted1 said:

The calls for changing the Redskins' name have going on for a long time. Why am I not surprised that the moment corporate sponsorships start pulling out over it, all that crap about "history" and "heritage" that the owner was screaming about for years suddenly doesn't matter, and then on top of that, the team never even bothered to come up with a contingency plan in the event they were forced to change the name? A decade-plus being able to plan for this, and they squandered it. I guess this is the NFL, the league that just barely scraped past coronavirus without incident and then had like 5 months to plan protocols and decided to wait until the very last second to start taking it seriously.

Personally, I'm of the silent minority that doesn't care either way (the term "Redskins" has a complicated past where it has been both used as a rallying cry for Native Americans as well as a dirty word used by those who slaughtered them, and the support for/against it being used has had wacky numbers ranging from a strong net support to a mild net support), but at least it'll finally be done so people can stop talking about it in 5-10 years after the name has all but faded from memory.

Edited by Bartimaeus

the not naming option is less unreasonable than it first appears... at least if you are a conservative and rich white guy. this whole blm thing, from snyder's pov, is gonna blow over, just as it did post michael brown. name the team red tails or something else with any kinda overt ethnic awareness is gonna be divisive. is people all twisted up 'bout protecting confederate flags and statues memorializing the founder o' the kkk. am thinking it is not unreasonable to be recognizing how any choice which satisfies many members o' the washington fanbase will necessarily be a point o' frustration and anger for others. snyder wants the problem to go away, like it always does, before he chooses a name which won't enrage a significant % o' his fanbase 'cause is too sjw or not enough sjw. 

would be nice if ownership could man-up and take a stand.  then again, we would likely be 'mongst those criticizing if they took the "wrong" stand.

our vote, btw, is the "k street mob." k street in washington dc is kinda the swirling epicenter o' greasy federal lobbyists. second choice, only possible with dc approval would be swamp thing, though admitted the green color scheme would be too close to philly for comfort.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

They've committed to using the same colors with whatever new name they choose, I think. Of course, they could always change their minds, but it seems like the plan is to at least keep that to avoid upsetting people too much.

I'm with Gromnir. Kicking the can down the road might seem like a cop out but I think it's the right move. 

BTW Folks are down on the KC Chiefs now. Whether that is justified or not is another conversation. I just wanted to point out a creative way another team dealt with the same controversy. The team in question is the Peoria Chiefs of the Midwest League, a minor league affiliate of the St. Louis Cardinals. Their original logo looked like this:

peoria_chiefs.gif 

About six years ago they kept the name ut changed the logo:

peoriachiefsnewbig.jpg 

It works.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, the_dog_days said:

I've always maintained that every DC team should be called the Washington Crooks.

ok, am knowing this is not helping Gromnir's cliff clavin rep, but in the 1970s stanford university went through a similar mascot issue. for near 50 years, the mascot for stanford sports were the indian. no doubt indian don't strike too many as being offensive. 1970s qq?

Spoiler

1111_stanford.jpg

initial, the university suggested a replacement logo which looked much like the one used by calumet baking powder, in case you is curious. anyways, numerous groups o' indigenous people appealed to stanford to change their mascot regardless o' proposed mascot alteration and stanford took serious. 

am not recalling exact year but somewhere 'tween 72 and 75, the University resolved to change their mascot and logo, but they weren't certain what should be the new mascot. forward-thinking university leadership decided to let the students decide... cast votes. 

Robber Barons. 

overwhelming student vote winner were the stanford robber barons. 

the university leadership decided to step back from being so forward thinking. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Haha 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Players have started to opt out of the NFL season, including two good players in that starting Chiefs guard and the starting Patriots guard, as well as Patriots star linebacker Dont'a Hightower. Five Patriots have dropped out already, more than every other team combined so far - I can only assume Belichick must've held a team meeting or something and told them to do it if they wanted to or felt like they needed to, can't imagine why else so many Patriots would all drop out on the same morning. Wondering if any of the old men QBs, like Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, etc. will drop out.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson among a group that has purchased the XFL.

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2902885-the-rock-redbird-capital-buy-vince-mcmahons-xfl-for-15m-after-bankruptcy.amp.html

So what do you think?

On a serious note, I hope they make it work. XFL2.0 was shockingly not terrible before The Covid killed it. I kind of feel even better about it now that an increasingly out of touch 74 year old Vince McMahon is no longer running the ship.

Edited by Keyrock
  • Like 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

XFL lost a lot of ratings in the last few weeks of its news existence. The product sucked. It sucked worse than the CFL which already sucks(ed). It is a nothing league with a lot of crappy players who aren't good enough for the NFL. Why would I want to watch a league filled with garbage? Next you'll be offering $50 to watch me play with my neighbourhoood buddies calling it 'decent'. LMAO