nfl 2020-2021

Gromnir

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Then LaFleur comes out and says "Rodgers will be a great mentor to Jordan Love", and it's like, yep, unless Rodgers has a top 3 year this year and the next, this is probably it.

Yeah, I hate the thought of that. And yes, I know I'm a Rodger fan boi.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

On 4/27/2020 at 2:00 PM, Mannock said:

The way I'm thinking of it, it's likely one of a few things will happen:

1. Rodgers falls off significantly or gets hurt and he's cut off after ~two years for performance/money/health reasons, and we have a guy that was two years in the waiting to try to take over.

2. A Favre-Rodgers situation happens where the coaching staff feels the young guy *needs* to be playing because he's looked so good and the current guy, while also good, is clearly on his way out of the league within the next few years at best.

3. The opposite, a Brady-Garopollo situation, happens: Rodgers has a career resurgence that makes him impossible to replace even if the backup looks solid.

4. Jordan Love, like a number of other 1st round pick QBs (especially fringe ones) over the years, sucks and Rodgers continues starting essentially unchallenged.

A combination of two or more situations could happen. Basically, the only situation where taking Jordan Love was a really bad idea is if Jordan Love ends up being garbage. If he does, then that was a major waste of a very valuable 1st round pick at close to the end of an era for a franchise that could've been better spent elsewhere. If he develops into a franchise quality QB, all these problems will sort themselves out one way or another and be good for the Packers, even though there's a possibility of heartbreak (whether it's through cutting or trading Rodgers, or being forced to trade Love because of Rodgers continuing to be a top 3-5 QB - objectively, the best situation, of course, is that both guys do great, though that'll obviously create a very thorny and divisive problem for the team to sort through).

Thinking about it this way has let me be more at peace with the pick, even though I do feel it was probably a year early especially after a 13-3 NFCCG appearance. The rest of the draft, uh, well, we're just gonna have to see what they have in store. Whinging and armchair GMing ain't gonna do any of us any good, so we might as well approach it with a "let's hope they know what they're doing and that things work out" mindset. We can groan and laugh later when/if it turns out horribly.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

3 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

1. Rodgers falls off significantly or gets hurt and he's cut off after ~two years for performance/money/health reasons, and we have a guy that was two years in the waiting to try to take over.

2. A Favre-Rodgers situation happens where the coaching staff feels the young guy *needs* to be playing because he's looked so good and the current guy, while also good, is clearly on his way out of the league within the next few years at best.

3. The opposite, a Brady-Garopollo situation, happens: Rodgers has a career resurgence that makes him impossible to replace even if the backup looks solid.

4. Jordan Love, like a number of other 1st round pick QBs (especially fringe ones) over the years, sucks and Rodgers continues starting essentially unchallenged.

And half of those are good (though statistically less likely) outcomes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

The way I'm thinking of it, it's likely one of a few things will happen:

A combination of two or more situations could happen. Basically, the only situation where taking Jordan Love was a really bad idea is if Jordan Love ends up being garbage. If he does, then that was a major waste of a very valuable 1st round pick at close to the end of an era for a franchise that could've been better spent elsewhere. If he develops into a franchise quality QB, all these problems will sort themselves out one way or another and be good for the Packers, even though there's a possibility of heartbreak (whether it's through cutting or trading Rodgers, or being forced to trade Love because of Rodgers continuing to be a top 3-5 QB - objectively, the best situation, of course, is that both guys do great, though that'll obviously create a very thorny and divisive problem for the team to sort through).

Thinking about it this way has let me be more at peace with the pick, even though I do feel it was probably a year early especially after a 13-3 NFCCG appearance. The rest of the draft, uh, well, we're just gonna have to see what they have in store. Whinging and armchair GMing ain't gonna do any of us any good, so we might as well approach it with a "let's hope they know what they're doing and that things work out" mindset. We can groan and laugh later when/if it turns out horribly.

Nice summary!

I've calmed down a bit too. As I stated in an earlier post, Rodgers has been in decline for the last few years, so it's not unreasonable for the organization to plan accordingly. But it stings, I'd have to admit that.

That being said, I still think the Jordan Love pick was an overreach. Sure, you could repeat the mantra "trust Gutekunst" (and his scouts) but we didn't hesitate five seconds to ridicule the Bears organization when they traded up to pick Trubisky and this situation feels very similar.

• Like 1

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

The media: "Is Rodgers going to demand that he be released or traded?" "We thought Rodgers hated his head coach last year, but that turned out to be utter nonsense as the year went on - but now it definitely must be for real!" "Did the Packers draft specifically to piss Rodgers off?" "Will Rodgers pull a Favre and treat Love like garbage and refuse to mentor him?"

Rodgers today on Instagram: "#relax"

• Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

28 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I'm enjoying this pandemonium that, for once, isn't surrounding my team. :wowey:

Speaking of, how do you expect the Cowboys to finish this upcoming season assuming it happens?

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

Speaking of, how do you expect the Cowboys to finish this upcoming season assuming it happens?

Same as usual, they will fail in the most gut wrenching fashion imaginable and leave me a bitter, broken, disappointed shell of a man. 10-6 followed by the customary immediate exit from the playoffs.

Edited by Keyrock

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

10 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Same as usual, they will fail in the most gut wrenching fashion imaginable and leave me a bitter, broken, disappointed shell of a man. 10-6 followed by the customary immediate exit from the playoffs.

lmao

you don't expect mccarthy to take you to the promised land?

16 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

lmao

you don't expect mccarthy to take you to the promised land?

No-Country-for-Old-Men_Tommy-Lee-Jones_J

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

the promised land, of course, being the NFCCG

It's weird, for most of their careers, JG and MM have been considered to be like the same kind of coach with the same kind of competencies - okay from a coaching talent and schematic point of view, but great in terms of culture and building a team up. Why hire the same kind of guy to replace the guy you just fired? I don't know, at least MM won a Super Bowl I guess, maybe there's something there...we'll find out within the next couple of years.

Former Dolphins coach and HoF Don Shula passed away at 90: https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/winningest-head-coach-in-nfl-history-don-shula-passes-away-at-90/ar-BB13zLfd?ocid=spartanntp

There was a great quote attributed to Bum Phillips about Shula: "He could take his and beat yours. Then take yours and beat his." So, I jut looked that up and it turns out Phillips actually said that about Bear Bryant. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

If there's one sports league in Murica that will find a way to operate as usual during The End Times it's the NFL. It's probably for the best. I imagine suicide rates are already quite high right now. If we don't get our annual football fix, suicide deaths may outweigh whatever The Covid could do.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

• 1 month later...

So the NFL is going to play the Black National Anthem before games in week 1. This was surprising to me, since I had no idea it existed. Turns out there is a fascinating history behind the song dating back over 100 years. It seems like a pretty safe way for the NFL to acknowledge their players, who are overwhelmingly African-American, and the current climate. But I am sure insecure people will freak out about it and consider it an attack on their version of 'Merica. 

I also had no idea there was a black national anthem. If it's better than the Star Spangled Banner, maybe we should trade for it.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

4 hours ago, Hurlshot said:

So the NFL is going to play the Black National Anthem before games in week 1. This was surprising to me, since I had no idea it existed. Turns out there is a fascinating history behind the song dating back over 100 years. It seems like a pretty safe way for the NFL to acknowledge their players, who are overwhelmingly African-American, and the current climate. But I am sure insecure people will freak out about it and consider it an attack on their version of 'Merica. 

Meh, who has the energy to flip out over that kind of thing anymore. If it makes folks happy play the damn song. At this point I just wish everyone would STFU. Likely aint gonna happen though. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

I also had no idea there was a black national anthem. If it's better than the Star Spangled Banner, maybe we should trade for it.

if we are gonna trade...

get tens o' thousands o' people packed into lambeau or fedex field singing mr. taylor's civil rights era anthem in unison would be a beautiful thing.

let us enjoy the dream.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bills have announced that they will have no fans at their games, and I've heard the Packers are contemplating the same.

Redskins are possibly changing their name.

Cam Newton signed with the Patriots.

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Bills have announced that they will have no fans at their games, 

So, no different than any other recent year. :shifty:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

2 hours ago, Keyrock said:

So, no different than any other recent year. :shifty:

Their attendance numbers were at 95.6% last year, which is right about average - however, that says nothing about the number of home fans vs. away fans. I never see any Bills games, so I haven't seen first hand if their fan attendance is bad.

Edited by Bartimaeus

^ The joke practically wrote itself, I have no idea of how accurate it is. Given the 2 teams quoted, I guessed Packers would have more fan attendance based on recent success and nothing else. For all I know, Bills have abnormally high % of die hard fans. :shrugz:

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

1 hour ago, Keyrock said:

^ The joke practically wrote itself, I have no idea of how accurate it is. Given the 2 teams quoted, I guessed Packers would have more fan attendance based on recent success and nothing else. For all I know, Bills have abnormally high % of die hard fans. :shrugz:

the bills do have diehard fans. 2x as likely to have snow at rich/new era as lambeau during weather months and while lambeau may technical be a smidge colder, the wind chill factor is also much more pronounced in buffalo than green bay. chicago gets called the windy city, but buffalo beats it ez. much like chicago, there is a high percentage o' working-class poles in buffalo and is amazing how those folks seem to think nothing creates a party atmosphere like sub-zero temperatures, howling winds and football. 

The NFL's Worst Weather Cities

"If you didn't see your team in the top 10, here is a full list of the football weather misery indices we calculated for all NFL cities with teams that do not play their home games in climate-controlled stadiums. Remember, a higher FWMI means worse weather.

1. Buffalo (77.4)

2. Green Bay (65.6)

3. Cleveland (65.2)

4. Pittsburgh (57.3)

5. Chicago (57.0)

6. Miami (56.0)

7. New England (51.6)

8. Kansas City (50.2)

9. Seattle (49.1)

10. Cincinnati (48)

oh, and buffalo consistent had most cap room of any team in the nfl for a number o' years. ownership weren't even trying.

bad teams and worst weather in the nfl and those folks come out every sunday; is baffling and simultaneous kinda impressive.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)