nfl 2020-2021

Gromnir

with another superbowl in the rearview mirror, it is now officially (well, maybe not official) nfl draft season.

two consensus best players available are qb joe burrow and de/olb chase young.

qbs will once again get disproportionate press. justin herbert senior bowl practice week has propelled him up the board a few notches and nfl.com suggest he is now the #2 qb on many/most draft boards. 

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-draft/0ap3000001099024/Justin-Herbert-highlights-2020-Reese-s-Senior-Bowl

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001101022/article/threeround-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-dolphins-pass-on-tua

tua camp has been kinda hedging on his post-op progress o' late and while they remain positive, they is now saying the 3-month post op mri will be determinative.

*shrug*

regardless, is 3 qbs (for now) who appear locks for first round: burrow, tagovailoa and herbert. additional, is likely 1-2 o' the following three will also go first round: eason, love, and fromm.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

The Buccaneers seem to be pursuing Phillip Rivers. I am still torn an Jamies Winston. There is no doubting his ability to throw the ball. There is also no doubting is inability to read defenses. I'd hate to see them give up on him and he goes does a Steve Young, or a Doug Williams, or a Vinny Testaverde, or a Trent Dilfer elsewhere. At the same time how do you pay him $30M per season when he is literally sabotaging your chances to win games he puts you in a position to win? Rivers is older and wiser. He will have a better team around him in Tampa than he did with the Chargers. He can win games. But his career is also riddled with interceptions. Is he an upgrade for about the same price tag? Don't know the answer. 

I was furious after that season ending pick six in OT against the Falcons. I wanted JW gone from town. But a dispassionate analysis of the options means JW might still be the better option. At least for one more season. Rivers will want multiple years. But drafting a QB this year is a must. No matter which way they go. I still thing Fromm from UGA, Perkins from UVA, and Love from USU might be there in the 2nd or even 3rd rounds.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/06/the-bucs-interest-in-philip-rivers-seems-legitimate/ 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

8 minutes ago, Guard Dog said:

The Buccaneers seem to be pursuing Phillip Rivers. I am still torn an Jamies Winston. There is no doubting his ability to throw the ball. There is also no doubting is inability to read defenses. I'd hate to see them give up on him and he goes does a Steve Young, or a Doug Williams, or a Vinny Testaverde, or a Trent Dilfer elsewhere. At the same time how do you pay him $30M per season when he is literally sabotaging your chances to win games he puts you in a position to win? Rivers is older and wiser. He will have a better team around him in Tampa than he did with the Chargers. He can win games. But his career is also riddled with interceptions. Is he an upgrade for about the same price tag? Don't know the answer. 

I was furious after that season ending pick six in OT against the Falcons. I wanted JW gone from town. But a dispassionate analysis of the options means JW might still be the better option. At least for one more season. Rivers will want multiple years. But drafting a QB this year is a must. No matter which way they go. I still thing Fromm from UGA, Perkins from UVA, and Love from USU might be there in the 2nd or even 3rd rounds.

https://bucswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/06/the-bucs-interest-in-philip-rivers-seems-legitimate/ 

Paying $30M a year for Jamies would be insane. I get it that some team most likely will, but it's still insane. I pity the fans of whatever team it might be.

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox

List of underclassmen granted eligibility for 2020 NFL Draft

for many it is a good idea to bolt for the nfl. rbs, in particular, have statistically short nfl careers. an extra year in college may decrease value o' rbs. the thing is, many o' these folks who has declared for the draft will not go in the first 3 rounds and has relative slim chances o' making nfl rosters. is nothing preventing players with unfulfilled nfl aspirations from going back and finishing school... other than time and money and family and...

always have mixed feelings when we see the underclassmen lists.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I watched the Seattle Dragons at the DC Defenders. The quality of uniforms and play was pretty good. Some of the rules were pretty weird. All in all it was not as amateurish as the UFL or AAC. 

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

2 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

I watched the Seattle Dragons at the DC Defenders. The quality of uniforms and play was pretty good. Some of the rules were pretty weird. All in all it was not as amateurish as the UFL or AAC. 

I felt like I was watching really good college football rather than professional football.

6 hours ago, Mannock said:

Watched Roughnecks vs Wildcats yesterday and thought it was pretty decent. Looked a bit sloppy at times, but that's to be expected I suppose. I liked the rule changes though after the touchdowns and the new rules during kickoff and punts.

Yeah that game was sloppy. Tampa Bay and  NY kick off in 20 min. I'm still curious enough to watch. Plus Spring Training games don't start for three more weeks so there is nothing else to watch.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

This Tampa Bay Vipers squad is pretty poor. The NY team is decent. 

Thomas Sowell

One thing I did like about the XFL was the level of access the media and fans have to the game. And I liked that the coaches and players were willing to discuss the X's and O's of each play. What makes football interesting is it's complexity. Far too often the NFL broadcastesr shy away from it. John Madden didn't but others avoid the nuts and bolts. I liked that the XFL put it front and center. 

Thomas Sowell

5 hours ago, Mannock said:

In NFL they make a big deal of covering their mouth when they make the play call. But in XFL we sometimes get to hear it live. Can someone explain why that's not a problem in the XFL and a big problem in the NFL?

It starts with the XFL being semi pro rather than full pro football. So much money is on the line in a given NFL game that they wouldn't dare give that much access. On the other hand, about a decade ago they did this for college football and coaches complained that the teams would have someone watching the live telecasts and calling in the opponent's plays so it only lasted one season.

• Like 1

Watched a little of the Vipers vs Dragons yesterday. It had it's moments. 

Thomas Sowell

• 3 weeks later...

hate the 17th game, but it's likely to pass

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

Thomas Sowell

11 hours ago, Guard Dog said:

Pats need a young QB and Brady seems to want to show the Pats that they needed him all along so from their perspective this doesn't surprise me at all.

I remember a quote from the otherwise terrible move "****tail" "All things that end, end badly. Otherwise they wouldn't end".

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tom-brady-and-bill-belichicks-recent-phone-call-about-upcoming-free-agency-didnt-go-well-per-report/

Thomas Sowell

So a year ago, everyone was like; Dallas is in a pickle, cause they can't afford to sign Zeke, Dak and Cooper at the same time. It will cost them too much.

And here we are, Zeke and Cooper have been paid and Dak is franchised tagged. 

Can someone explain how that was economically possible? 

I'll do it, for a turnip.

DnD item quality description mod (for PoE2) by peardox