Hi All,

I've ploughed through the information on this board and others, but my restartitis is a real curse...I really wanna crack on and get into this game - but I keep hitting the same stumbling block with commiting to a character.  (This is certainly a "me" problem).   

I want to play a Dwarf (Boreal or Mountain) and i'm leaning towards Barbarian.   The only reason for a Barbarian being party flavour, as I intend on being best of buddies with Eder throughout the series.

I'm not overly keen on min-maxing - the idea of a Dwarf with lower DEX is okay with me, but I struggle to imagine a Dwarf with low Resolve.  Blame the Hobbit I guess.

I tried the Golden Dragon build, from Boeroer - which tbh I enjoyed; 18/10/06/13/16/18 was what I managed (or similar - i'm @ work currently, shhhh) which fit into my rigid idea of what a Dwarf should be although i'd of liked more CON.  Then I remembered that Eder was a tank aswell...and here I am...with the main menu music etched into my memory calling me back.

So, in short, I need help.  I would like a Dwarf Barbarian who has High MIG, CON, RES - and remains viable throughout the game.  I'd like to focus on either Axes or Hammers, Dual Wield or 2H or S+B - I don't mind, but I don't really want any overlap with Eder (if that is even a problem? I don't know!!)

I hope you can excuse the rambling wall of text and I'd appreciate any guiding hand to help pull me out of my self-made misery.

Enjoy your day!

if you like the golden dragon but want different stats then just go for it. that attributes are not that big a deal. they dont make are break a build its how you choose your abilities and equipment that will make more a difference in the build. especially on lower than potd difficulties so if you want might, con, res. then just put points into those and go play and you will be fine. 

• Like 1

I played a dual hammer Barbarian during an Ultimate attempt. It's fun and effective and you should go for it. Nice thing about hammers: there are good unique ones and you can get the first one quite early in Defiance Bay.

Later you want to use Godansthunyr because its stunning enchantment is great with Carnage.

I had high MIG, maxed CON and low DEX and got good sturdyness from healing effects like Veteran's Recovery, Savage Defiance and Shod-in-Faith boots. 

You could also try an unarmed brawler Barb: Novice's Suffering works very well with a strong Barb. Basically you need the highest MIG to make the most of it. Can elaborate if that sounds interesting.

What I also like is a Barb with Tall Grass (pike). You could see it as a lance that dwarves may use to hunt dragons. It's a very good Barb weapon as well. Pros are the reach (you can place the center of Carnage optimally in order to hit the most enemies at once) and the overbearing effect on critical (Carnage) hits. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 2

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

Thanks for the reply guys - appreciate you taking the time.

I like the idea of dual hammers.  What would you think of this stat spread:

Mig: 17
Con: 19
Dex: 6
Per:  10
Int: 12
Res: 14

Is he going to be a walking disaster? Would it be worth swapping INT and PER or is it much of a muchness?  I'd tend to avoid any mid-game rerolls, hence the trepidation - but as draego says - i'm gonna have to dive in!

Not enough INT for my personal taste but I'm sure it will work well. Beware the early game: Barbs need several levels to lose their squishyness (due to low deflection - high CON/endurance pool don't make a big difference in the beginning but later). So don't give up if he gets knocked out often: that's normal and it gets better and better (unlike a Rogue who always stays tissue paper) with every level up since then the enormous endurance/health pools start to pay off at some point.

Also Barbs start with rather bad accuracy. Your Carnage will miss all the time, especially with a mediocre PER value. But the great thing: Carnage gains +1 ACC per level (on top of the usual level-up-improvents) and at some point it's superaccurate (if you take Accurate Carnage it will be as good as your original ACC by level 5 already).

Give your Barb Accuracy buffs (Priest's your best friend. Inspiring Radiance and Devotions stack!).

Edited by Boeroer

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods